Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 12:56 PM

33 posts, read 25,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Per Wiki (link below), the City of Fort Lauderdale's population in the 2010 census was 165,521.

In 2000, it was 152,397.
In 1990 it was 149,238
In 1980 it was 153,279

So in 30 years, the population has increased a whopping 9%. Some overpopulation. As I said earlier, the city is underdeveloped and is just now starting a commercial boom that was delayed 10 years due to the recession.

As far as you getting delayed at Commercial 4 cycles, that is a rare event. There must have been an accident. That happens everywhere in America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Lauderdale,_Florida
The city is underdeveloped! LOLOLOL! It's a nonstop 60 mile concrete jungle from the bottom of Miami to the northern parts of West Palm Beach.

And yes this area has awful traffic. You have got to be kidding yourself if you think otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 06:12 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SereneSage View Post
The city is underdeveloped! LOLOLOL! It's a nonstop 60 mile concrete jungle from the bottom of Miami to the northern parts of West Palm Beach.

And yes this area has awful traffic. You have got to be kidding yourself if you think otherwise.
I have to side with Nolefan on this one.. We are talking city proper, not surrounding suburbia and urban sprawl (which there is also ALOT of this), we are talking urban development in the city center of FLL.. With that said, FLL IS in fact underdeveloped when you consider historical data, the list of major projects and city center developments that were put on hold during the recession is sizeable to say the list, we are just starting to see a new era of development and investor confidence in the area, this is a GOOD thing, EXCITING to say the least..

Old 08-19-2016, 06:45 PM

170 posts, read 190,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
I have to side with Nolefan on this one.. We are talking city proper, not surrounding suburbia and urban sprawl (which there is also ALOT of this), we are talking urban development in the city center of FLL.. With that said, FLL IS in fact underdeveloped when you consider historical data, the list of major projects and city center developments that were put on hold during the recession is sizeable to say the list, we are just starting to see a new era of development and investor confidence in the area, this is a GOOD thing, EXCITING to say the least..
I'm sure the developer you work for is very excited. What are you planning to build in the city center, a free theater, a new public school, a library, new public park?

Old 08-19-2016, 07:02 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Torres View Post
I'm sure the developer you work for is very excited. What are you planning to build in the city center, a free theater, a new public school, a library, new public park?
I do not actually, in fact, I work for a very different industry..

Old 08-19-2016, 09:44 PM

33 posts, read 25,562 times
^^Right....

One reason downtown FLL might be under developed is that it is next to one of the worst sections of town: Broward Boulevard and Sistrunk, for those who are not aware, our section 8 housing district. And city efforts to revitalize Sistrunk have largely failed. Nobody wants to start a business there because it is a trashy ghetto. Unfortunately BB is on my commute home and there is a nice Speedway on an intersection which I love but won't use because there are teams of hobos all over it panhandling.

Downtown Fort Lauderdale sucks, las Olas is just a bunch of pretentious over priced shops, bars, and clubs so if you're not into the night life there's nothing to do in downtown Fort Lauderale aside from two museums which you can see everything in two visits and then you are bored again.

Plz stop defending it. It sucks. Just accept it and move on.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:38 AM

Quote:
^^Right....

One reason downtown FLL might be under developed is that it is next to one of the worst sections of town: Broward Boulevard and Sistrunk, for those who are not aware, our section 8 housing district. And city efforts to revitalize Sistrunk have largely failed. Nobody wants to start a business there because it is a trashy ghetto. Unfortunately BB is on my commute home and there is a nice Speedway on an intersection which I love but won't use because there are teams of hobos all over it panhandling.

Downtown Fort Lauderdale sucks, las Olas is just a bunch of pretentious over priced shops, bars, and clubs so if you're not into the night life there's nothing to do in downtown Fort Lauderale aside from two museums which you can see everything in two visits and then you are bored again.

Have you reviewed the development plans that you are cheering for?

Old 08-20-2016, 06:16 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
Quote:

I was talking about the City of Fort Lauderdale. Not Broward County as a whole, or South FL as a whole. The City of Fort Lauderdale is a medium sized city that happens to lie within a huge metro area. The City has been underdeveloped compared to what it could be.

The traffic you speak of is bad on the interstates and when commuting between cities. Most of the FLL traffic is people commuting in/out of the city for work on Broward Blvd/US1, or beach traffic. It is NOT awful inside of Fort Lauderdale. If you live and work within Fort Lauderdale, and do not get onto the interstates, your commute is most likely a cakewalk.

I have been to a lot of places. Even Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, Tallahassee, and Fort Myers have worse inner city traffic than Fort Lauderdale. Lets not even think about the northeastern cities or California cities.

Last edited by Nolefan34; 08-20-2016 at 06:38 AM..

Old 08-20-2016, 06:35 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
Quote:
^^Right....

The very things you complain about are largely due to the lack of development/investment. This new development will bring in thousands of more affluent residents, which will be a boon to existing businesses, as well as attracting new businesses. As new development occurs, downtown FLL will be a much more interesting place to visit in the future.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:34 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Torres View Post
Lol, talk about cherry-picking data! Ft Laud is hugely affected by the massive development in Broward County since 1980.

Also, I love it when people excuse bad experiences with public servoces by saying "That happens everywhere in America.", Lol, as if they are experts on what happens "everywhere in America".
No kidding!

There is absolutely no way those numbers are accurate

Old 08-20-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
The very things you complain about are largely due to the lack of development/investment. This new development will bring in thousands of more affluent residents, which will be a boon to existing businesses, as well as attracting new businesses. As new development occurs, downtown FLL will be a much more interesting place to visit in the future.
Existing hard-working residents will comprise the new "poorer" classes after these new developments are built. S. Florida new construction, esp. downtown FTL will be marketed to the same classes of people, often shadowy, faceless global elites that construction in Miami-Dade was marketed to. Marketers will tell you how wonderful this was for areas of Miami-Dade, but you should ask people who've lived here. New businesses will cater to the very wealthy classes, traffic will increase dramatically. Part-time, wealthy, sometimes very arrogant owners don't give a darn about the community. Their real estate investment in your area is just part of their portfolio. Your quality of life will not improve bc of shiny new buildings nearby. This would be horrible for Ft Laud. which still has plenty of original character left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area