Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 06:47 PM

240 posts, read 262,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I was in Ft Lauderdale recently for a week. I grew up there in the late 70s-early 80's. I felt uncomfortable when I was there. Starbucks on 17th Street Causeway, too many transient people (cruise ship workers/travelers), tons of traffic (foot, bike, moped, cars etc.) and I just felt an odd disconnect that I didn't know a single person within a mile or ten miles!
I hear you loud and clear. I've been in that Starbucks and nobody talks to you. Some of the rudest people I have ever see are you that Starbucks. I live off 17th street and what you say is true. But it's a tourist dominated area so I don't expect people to be caring, warm or even friendly. They fly in and stay in a fancy hotel on 17th street then board the ship. Here today, gone tomorrow.

Where do you reside today City Guy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 06:13 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Barbosa View Post
Are you from the Philippines? If so, then if I were you then I would see Fort Lauderdale as a paradise. I have retired friends who live near Cebu and they like it but they also say it is almost like a 3rd world country. Where you came from and where you were raised determines what you think is a wonderful place to live. I suppose I see Tahiti the same way you see Fort Lauderdale.
No, I am from the US and have lived in Broward since the 80's, my wife is from the Philippines and we live in Cebu and travel around the Philippines 3 to 4 months a year, but yes, every year after being in the Philippines, upon returning, then I appreciate Fort Lauderdale even more, yet I have been to many parts of the US (not all) and still find Fort Lauderdale to be a great place to live. What will be in 5 to 10 years, I will worry about then, it is not like the change will happen over night. Unless we have another property bubble, I expect prices to keep going up and thus find our condo to be a great investment for our future.

Ben, I feel for you, but you really have to stop worrying so far in advance, a lot much worse can happen with time passing than traffic and over population, but if you are that unhappy, then maybe it is already time for you to move.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:18 AM

Do you own Southport Raw Bar?

Old 08-16-2016, 10:30 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
Homeless are a major problem especially in the winter months. Fort Lauderdale at least had the foresight not to build hotels right on the ocean and then limit the access of the beach to hotel guests. Miami Beach is an example of what not to do. They have many more problems than Fort Lauderdale. I see lots of old buildings being knocked down and new multi floor residences being built. You may not need a car if your walking distance to most things.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:09 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,148 times
Quote:
Do you own Southport Raw Bar?
I am not sure who that question was directed at but if it was for me, no I do not.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Homeless are a major problem especially in the winter months. Fort Lauderdale at least had the foresight not to build hotels right on the ocean and then limit the access of the beach to hotel guests. Miami Beach is an example of what not to do. They have many more problems than Fort Lauderdale. I see lots of old buildings being knocked down and new multi floor residences being built. You may not need a car if your walking distance to most things.
You must live in a dream world because there are homeless people all over Ft. Lauderdale.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
I am not sure who that question was directed at but if it was for me, no I do not.
Yes it was.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:26 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I was in Ft Lauderdale recently for a week. I grew up there in the late 70s-early 80's.

I felt uncomfortable when I was there. Starbucks on 17th Street Causeway, too many transient people (cruise ship workers/travelers), tons of traffic (foot, bike, moped, cars etc.) and I just felt an odd disconnect that I didn't know a single person within a mile or ten miles!
So you visited the most touristy area of Ft. Lauderdale for 1 week and didn't know anyone? Gee what a shock. If you felt that uncomfortable, its hard to imagine what you would feel like visiting NYC or LA where nobody knows anybody.

Fort Lauderdale is a popular tourist destination. Along with that comes heavy traffic, bicyclists, pedestrians, etc. If you can't handle it, maybe you should vacation in Nowheresville U.S.A.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:29 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,205,098 times
Just for general info for the OP:

http://www.broward.org/Planning/Form...nts/bbtn51.pdf

Old 08-17-2016, 04:51 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
I hear you loud and clear. I've been in that Starbucks and nobody talks to you. Some of the rudest people I have ever see are you that Starbucks. I live off 17th street and what you say is true. But it's a tourist dominated area so I don't expect people to be caring, warm or even friendly. They fly in and stay in a fancy hotel on 17th street then board the ship. Here today, gone tomorrow.

Where do you reside today City Guy?
It is even like that on Las Olas......but the chicks are hotter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area