Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 11:06 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,432,788 times

Advertisements

I have lived in DC for the past four years (originally from Central Florida) and I have been presented with a job opportunity to relocate to Fort Lauderdale, after careful thought (and I note that it was not an easy decision) I have decided to accept the opportunity and I am now on my way to once again being a Florida Resident! With that said, I do have many questions that I hope some locals to the area may be able to help me with, here goes:

SOCIAL PROFILE:
I am a single young adult professional. I will be both living and working within Fort Lauderdale city limits. Are there any recommendations on good places or networks in the local area to meet good people and make new friends? Anything I should know about locals that would help me from a social standpoint? Is there anyone else that has made a similar move from up north down to this area? I read in some threads here on CD that some locals are not very open to new people which concerns me..

NEIGHBORHOOD:
After careful searching (and reviewing other threads here on CD) I have selected Las Olas/Downtown area as my place to live, I hear that this is a highly recommended neighborhood and it seems to be the best fit for me from what I see, I enjoy lively neighborhoods. Generally speaking, how walkable is this area? Is it safe at night? How does it compare to a city neighborhood in DC? And are there any important facts or insight that I should know about this area that would help me as a resident?

LEISURE ACTIVITES:
What are some common go-to weekend activities for locals? How is the beach and is it easy to get to from Las Olas? Is there an active arts/culture/festival scene and if so where can I find this? How is the live music scene? How is the foodie scene and recommended areas for good restaurants? And are most area bars and restaurants friendly to solo patrons?

Any additional advice, recommendations, etc.. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for all of your answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 06:02 AM

It is very concerning to me that it has been more than 24 hours since I posted this thread and there are no responses, I really hope that what I keep hearing about people being unfriendly and unwelcoming to newcomers is not true.. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated! I will not be offended!

Last edited by MrKnight; 06-01-2016 at 06:21 AM..

Old 06-01-2016, 07:03 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,255,171 times
Las Olas is safe to walk at night, my wife and I do it often, and there are plenty of restaurants along Las Olas as well as along Federal Hwy all the way going north. You might wish to start out with
Las Olas Restaurant & Bar | American Social Ft Lauderdale right on Las Olas
The Chimney House Restaurant great food and right at the north end of Las Olas
The Floridian a diner right on Las Olas
Some others Eat Archives - Las Olas BoulevardLas Olas Boulevard

Also Elbo Room - Fort Lauderdale Beach Bar down at the beach is one place you might wish to go.

Things to do Las Olas Jazz festival the first Sunday of every month 11 am to 2 pm is a great place to meet people and enjoy the area along Riverwalk https://www.goriverwalk.com/1124/riv...ing-activities

As for friendly, you will usually get what you give, a smile will most often be rewarded with smiles back.

If you happen to rent in a condo complex, then you should get lots of activities emailed to you.

Good luck, hope some of that helps.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:25 AM

389 posts, read 662,996 times
Don't worry about the lack of quick responses. It usually takes some sort of controversial statement to stir things up in a hurry around here.

All jokes aside, Las Olas checks all of your boxes and then some (I'm assuming, of course, that you've researched the housing market and that downtown Fort Lauderdale fits your budget). Just about everything you like will quite literally be at your doorstep except for the beach, and even that is only a few minutes away via bike.

As far as comparisons with neighborhoods in Washington, D.C., Las Olas is a relatively recent phenomenon as a hot spot -- when I moved here in '87, the activity shut down at 5 p.m. -- so I'd think one of the main differences is that it has a much newer feel to it.

EDIT: After reading the post that follows mine, I agree that you'll need a car if you plan to venture much beyond Las Olas. Fort Lauderdale and Broward County have nothing to compare with Washington's Metro.

Last edited by Papillons2; 06-01-2016 at 09:43 AM..

Old 06-01-2016, 09:32 AM

311 posts, read 451,442 times
I am much older than you and married so I will offer what I "think" will relate to you.

Social: Join groups that interest you. Volunteer groups, young professional groups, religious groups, music or art or animal rescue. The point is to join a group that you already have something in common with and you will fit in. Everyone likes someone who has something to offer.

Neighborhood: Las Olas is a high end area and tourist area. Lots of business and lawyer types there. It is very busy except for midnight to 9am. Lots to do and lots to see. Very walkable and safe but you will not be able to fill all your needs by walking and will still want a car. The beach is a straight shot east, Las Olas runs right into the heart of Lauderdale's beach. I am not familiar with neighborhoods in DC except for the ghetto I got lost in one time. No scary ghettos around Las Olas. In fact there are million dollar homes just blocks away.

Leisure Activities: You can't help but be enveloped by any sort of activity you want there. Bars, restaurants, beach, museums, lieburies, whatever you want.

The only thing I can add is, don't bring an attitude. Don't tell everyone how much better it was in DC. And don't get uppity about not being replied to in 24 hours.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:50 AM

Thank you so much for the responses! This seems to be in line with what I have read in most other threads here on CD which is comforting. I do have two more questions:

In regards to shock-factor moving from DC to Fort Lauderdale, what should I expect to be the most shocking differences? I am trying to mentally prepare myself as best as possible for this huge move as my anxiety and stress level is already sky high, I feel like the more I know the better I can prepare.

And last but not least, as I scan the Ft. Lauderdale boards there appears to be ALOT of negative threads about people not being happy, leaving the area, etc.. Why is this?

Thank you again for the responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeZoo View Post
The only thing I can add is, don't bring an attitude. Don't tell everyone how much better it was in DC. And don't get uppity about not being replied to in 24 hours.
@TreeZoo I consider myself a generally friendly person so I don't believe that will be an issue, it was not my intention to sound "uppity" with the 24 hours comment, perhaps this board is not as active as some other boards I am used to here in CD which is fine, I apologize if I sounded "uppity" and I do very much appreciate your helpful info!

Last edited by MrKnight; 06-01-2016 at 10:00 AM..

Old 06-01-2016, 11:07 AM

21 posts, read 33,228 times
@MrKnight - My husband and I are relocating to the area in the next few weeks. I went to college in DC and we now live in CT. We're both young professionals as well. We LOVED the vibe of Las Olas/Victoria Park. Reminded me of a mix between Georgetown and Adams' Morgan (high end like Georgetown, great restaurants and bars like Adams Morgan). Maybe most similar to Chevy Chase without the chain retailers.

We wish we could afford to live in this neighborhood, but moving from a 3 bedroom house with a dog doesn't allow us the luxury of a high rise apartment without sacrificing a ton of our "must haves." To the suburbs we go!

Best of luck with your move. If you are still looking for friendly, professional, northerners come August, feel free to get in touch!

EDIT: I should add that we only visited the area for a quick weekend, so my opinion may not be as informed as the locals

Old 06-01-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtornberg View Post
@MrKnight - My husband and I are relocating to the area in the next few weeks. I went to college in DC and we now live in CT. We're both young professionals as well. We LOVED the vibe of Las Olas/Victoria Park. Reminded me of a mix between Georgetown and Adams' Morgan (high end like Georgetown, great restaurants and bars like Adams Morgan). Maybe most similar to Chevy Chase without the chain retailers.

We wish we could afford to live in this neighborhood, but moving from a 3 bedroom house with a dog doesn't allow us the luxury of a high rise apartment without sacrificing a ton of our "must haves." To the suburbs we go!

Best of luck with your move. If you are still looking for friendly, professional, northerners come August, feel free to get in touch!

EDIT: I should add that we only visited the area for a quick weekend, so my opinion may not be as informed as the locals
Thank you amtornberg! Glad to know that I am not the only person making this crazy move haha.. I would definitely be open to connecting with you once we are all down there! Best of luck with your move in the coming weeks, I will be in the exact same boat!

Old 06-01-2016, 01:38 PM

311 posts, read 451,442 times
In regards to shock-factor moving from DC to Fort Lauderdale, what should I expect to be the most shocking differences?

I would guess it to be the casual-ness. Although you might not wear them to work or to impress the ladies, shorts and sandals are acceptable almost everywhere year round. I only wore long pants twice last year.

as I scan the Ft. Lauderdale boards there appears to be ALOT of negative threads about people not being happy, leaving the area, etc.. Why is this?

South Florida is a very transient place. People come and go a lot, and not just the tourists. It is also rapidly changing because of the constant influx of people. If you fall in love with the Ft Lauderdale of today, it will be vastly different in 10 years. You might not like it anymore. Just think how much it has changed in the last 20, 30, 40, 50 years. Those are the people moving out.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:09 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Mr.Knight, my husband and I currently live on Las Olas and LOVE it!

Not true things shut down after 9PM.

Many restaurants serve up to midnight and Big City Tavern, Louie Bossi, and Roccos Tacos serve special menus until 1AM and are open until 2am. YOLO serves late.

Places like YOLO are open much later as they turn into lounges.

On the western end, two blocks from Las Olas is Himmarshee Village which has amazing restaurants and bars and many places stay open until 4am.

What would you like to know specifically about the neighborhood?

Colee Hammock is very much a neighborhood with a great sense of community.

The only thing I dislike is that there isn't a grocery store within walking distance.

It is very safe. I've walked home by myself after 2am many a night and never had a problem, cops are everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area