Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 12:53 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Mr.Knight, my husband and I currently live on Las Olas and LOVE it!

Not true things shut down after 9PM.

Many restaurants serve up to midnight and Big City Tavern, Louie Bossi, and Roccos Tacos serve special menus until 1AM and are open until 2am. YOLO serves late.

Places like YOLO are open much later as they turn into lounges.

On the western end, two blocks from Las Olas is Himmarshee Village which has amazing restaurants and bars and many places stay open until 4am.

What would you like to know specifically about the neighborhood?

Colee Hammock is very much a neighborhood with a great sense of community.

The only thing I dislike is that there isn't a grocery store within walking distance.

It is very safe. I've walked home by myself after 2am many a night and never had a problem, cops are everywhere.

Thank you so much blueherons! My apartment building will be located near the intersection of Las Olas Blvd. and Route 1, how is this immediate area? Also, what are the best ways to meet new people in the area? Are there any popular leisurely activities or social groups in the Las Olas area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 12:58 PM

389 posts, read 662,313 times
Quote:
Not true things shut down after 9PM.

Not sure if this was directed at my post -- and if not, I apologize for reacting -- but what I wrote regarding Las Olas (adding italics for effect) was "When I moved here in '87, the activity shut down at 5 p.m." That was 29 years ago, and it was very true then. Much different now (as a night owl, I can attest to that through first-hand experience).

Last edited by Papillons2; 06-02-2016 at 01:09 PM..

Old 06-02-2016, 01:43 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,825,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
Thank you so much blueherons! My apartment building will be located near the intersection of Las Olas Blvd. and Route 1, how is this immediate area? Also, what are the best ways to meet new people in the area? Are there any popular leisurely activities or social groups in the Las Olas area?
You just described Waverly.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:00 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
You just described Waverly.
Or The Camden or the brand new Amaray. All very nice.

The Waverly is all condo but owners rent them. The Camden is apartments only.

The best way to meet people is Sunday Brunch at American Social. It is a singles hangout. There are also busy every night after 10PM especially on the weekends.

This Sunday is Jazz in the Park at Sailboat Bend from 10-2 which is another great place to meet people.

I'm assuming you are 20-30 something?

Most people that age find a built in social group by joining Crossfit.

Good luck! I'll add anything else I can think of!

Old 06-03-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Or The Camden or the brand new Amaray. All very nice.

The Waverly is all condo but owners rent them. The Camden is apartments only.

The best way to meet people is Sunday Brunch at American Social. It is a singles hangout. There are also busy every night after 10PM especially on the weekends.

This Sunday is Jazz in the Park at Sailboat Bend from 10-2 which is another great place to meet people.

I'm assuming you are 20-30 something?

Most people that age find a built in social group by joining Crossfit.

Good luck! I'll add anything else I can think of!
Thank you again blueherons! Yes I am in my late 20s.. How is the area as far as recreational sports like tennis? Are there good tennis groups and facilities nearby (Las Olas area)? Any other social sports or recreational activities that are popular in the area and would be good for meeting people?

Also, how easy is it to get to Hollywood and Delray from Las Olas? I hear those are good alternative areas for additional entertainment and a different vibe in the event that I want to step away from Las Olas?

Old 06-03-2016, 12:05 PM

389 posts, read 662,313 times
Quote:
In regards to shock-factor moving from DC to Fort Lauderdale, what should I expect to be the most shocking differences? I am trying to mentally prepare myself as best as possible for this huge move as my anxiety and stress level is already sky high, I feel like the more I know the better I can prepare.
I don't foresee the shock factor being much of a problem for you, considering that you're coming from a major metro area and have dealt with things like traffic and crime. A lot of people move here expecting a picture-postcard resort area and then discover they're smack-dab in the middle of a three-county area with 6 million people. Many of those who move away after a year or two fit into that category.

Like D.C., a lot of people have moved here from somewhere else, so I think you'll be used to a somewhat transient population, too. Major difference here is the percentage of people who've moved from the Caribbean and Central and South America.

Another common complaint is that it's hot and humid here, but you already know that, originally being from Central Florida (and D.C. summertimes aren't exactly cool and dry, either).

The rudeness factor that often is commented upon certainly is there -- though I find it increasing throughout the country in general, not just in South Florida. Unless it's nasty or abusive, I usually just laugh it off -- for example, it's not worth getting angry about standing behind some schlub who brings 20 items to the 10-item express line at the supermarket, which happened to me yesterday. There's a lot of bad driving, but again, not sure it's anything you haven't experienced in D.C.

Hope this helps -- and good luck with the move. I think you'll really like Las Olas.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:02 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times
Quote:
Thank you again blueherons! Yes I am in my late 20s.. How is the area as far as recreational sports like tennis? Are there good tennis groups and facilities nearby (Las Olas area)? Any other social sports or recreational activities that are popular in the area and would be good for meeting people?

Also, how easy is it to get to Hollywood and Delray from Las Olas? I hear those are good alternative areas for additional entertainment and a different vibe in the event that I want to step away from Las Olas?
The best public tennis complex in the US is right down Federal at Holiday Park. It is the Jimmy Everette Tennis Center.

Drove to the Winn Dixie and realized when I passed The Edge (that huge apartment complex across from Fresh Market on Federal/US 1) that both The Brass Tack brewhouse and Rhythm & Vine are huge hangouts for twenty somethings. They were both packed a few minutes ago.

Rhythm & Vine Garden and Den Fort Lauderdale |

Brass Tap Beer Bar | Craft Beer

Lastly, The Funky Buddha Brewery is a really cool brewery! They brought the food trucks inside so the food offerings are similar to a really cool food court. Funky Buddha is in Oakland Park a little bit of a drive from you.

www.FunkyBuddhaBrewery.com

Delray is really cool but it is a drive. About an hour and a half by A1A and maybe an hour by I95.

Hollywood is nice but I don't know enough about there twenty something scene.

Personally, I think you'll like Himmarshee and Flagler Village a lot more than you will Las Olas just because Las Olas appeals to an older crowd other than the places I mentioned.

www.DowntownHimmarshee.com

Old 06-03-2016, 08:40 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,825,336 times
+1 for Funky Buddha. Awesome burgers, sausages, and pulled pork sandwiches.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:04 PM

134 posts, read 176,470 times
I am from CT, currently living in DC, about to move to Ft. Lauderdale as well!!! Let's rent a truck together, ha ha!

That being said, I'm also a little worried about the different culture that FL brings. It's not any worse than DC, just different, but I'm so used to a northeast mindset I hope I don't get into a 'everything here sucks' mentality!

Old 06-04-2016, 10:17 AM

Thanks again for all the responses and recommendations! These places look great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area