Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 03:14 PM

100 posts, read 103,488 times

Advertisements

I've been on a quest for a while for the "best" retirement community in Southeast Florida. So far, I have checked out and ruled out Wynmoor and Kings Point Tamarac. Now I'm considering Delray Kings Point and the Century Villages in Boca and Deerfield Beach. I think they are the only remaining massive retirement communities I have not yet checked out in northern Broward/southern Palm Beach county.

My #1 most important criteria, by far, is amenities and activities. So far, from what I've been able to research online, I get the sense that the two Century Villages are predominantly snowbirds. They have lots of activities during the "season," but those activities, if I'm right, drop off considerably during the off season. Does anyone know if I am right about that? Since I'm single and would live there year round, I need endless activities that don't stop when the temperature warms up.

Don't know much at all about amenities and activities at Delray Kings Point, but after seeing the Kings Point video, I'd have to make sure the misery portrayed in that video is greatly exaggerated.

So my question is, which of the three is the most active, year round? And if you know which of the three appears to have the youngest demographic, that would help, too (I'm 59).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 05:44 PM

874 posts, read 899,259 times
If you're looking for a lively lifestyle, maybe you should also explore other projects like Metropica.

A master-planned community in Sunrise, Florida | Metropica

While folks love the prices at Century Village, I find most people who tour the property opt to rent or buy elsewhere in the end.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:14 PM

64 posts, read 70,000 times
I'm more familiar with Century Village in Pines and that one is pretty active year round but sounds too far south for you. I think you've checked off all the really big communities. The next ones are a few thousand homes smaller. Maybe look into Leisureville in Pompano or Coral Lakes or Aberdeen in Boynton?

Old 01-28-2016, 11:40 PM

311 posts, read 450,501 times
I can't give good info about all three locations but the Cemetery Village in Deerfield has a MUCH younger demographic than 10 or 15 years ago. Then, most residents were transplanted north-easterners but now have mostly passed on. Many of the new residents are now Canadian.

Deerfield CV is in an area with lots to do, even if you run out of "activities" inside the village. There are shops, a movie theater, parks, restaurants galore, supermarkets etc right outside the village. Easy to walk or ride a bike to. Delray KP is kind of a similar situation but not as much choice IMO. Boca CV is surrounded by condos, rental complexes and some homes, so not as good IMHO.

Curious, why do you need "endless" activities?

Old 01-29-2016, 04:49 AM

194 posts, read 427,598 times
I have been in and out of all these communities quite frequently and would say all have generally similar activities that remain the same year round, what does quiet down in the summer is the "headliner" shows. There are plenty of snowbirds but these communities are not ghost towns in the summer as I would say the majority of homeowners live there year round. The youngest demographics are in KP Tamarac and Wynmoor. CV's will be older with CV Boca and KP Delray probably with the oldest population. Agree with the previous post that CV Deerfield new residents are mainly French Canadians.
You didn't mention why Kings Point Tamarac and Wynmoor were out but unless it is cost or location I would put Kings Point Tamarac first and Wynmoor second. Kings Point Tamarac is newer with plenty of activities and where most units are much bigger than most units in Century Village or KP Delray Beach. I would put Wynmoor second, older but well kept with plenty of activities including an on-site golf course. I would put both CV Deerfield and Boca over Kings Point Delray Beach. All these communities are generally safe and secure and the surrounding neighborhoods fine. Higher pricing and the biggest condos are in KP Tamarac and Wynmoor. BTW KP Tamarac and Wynmoor are located in northern Broward county.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:51 AM

Fair question, Tree. Endless activities will keep me from napping or watching TV all day! I know there are things to do within driving distance, but I don't like to drive, even though I have a car. (Does anyone enjoy urban driving anymore?)

Jim, Wynmoor is basically fine, but has a few drawbacks. Surrounded by exhaust fumes and no clubhouse to speak of - just a series of rooms. There's that small space next to the library, but no charm whatsoever. I would be spending a lot of time playing pickleball and tennis and breathing in the air on the courts right next to busy Coconut Creek Parkway. Also, I hear they sometimes smell Mount Trashmore, and that situation might get worse with changes being made at the landfill.

Yes, I thought CV Deerfield MUST have tons of French speakers. According to their publication, there are clubs with a French focus and some are even described in French. For instance, they have a mandolin players club, and the name of the club and its description are in French. This intriques me because I speak French pretty well AND I dabble in mandolin! However, also according to that publication, almost all the clubs meet only monthly and go on hiatus in the warmer months. That doesn't quite fit the bill for endless year-round activities.

Old 02-19-2024, 01:19 AM

3 posts, read 1,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpoolwalrus View Post
I've been on a quest for a while for the "best" retirement community in Southeast Florida. So far, I have checked out and ruled out Wynmoor and Kings Point Tamarac. Now I'm considering Delray Kings Point and the Century Villages in Boca and Deerfield Beach. I think they are the only remaining massive retirement communities I have not yet checked out in northern Broward/southern Palm Beach county.

My #1 most important criteria, by far, is amenities and activities. So far, from what I've been able to research online, I get the sense that the two Century Villages are predominantly snowbirds. They have lots of activities during the "season," but those activities, if I'm right, drop off considerably during the off season. Does anyone know if I am right about that? Since I'm single and would live there year round, I need endless activities that don't stop when the temperature warms up.

Don't know much at all about amenities and activities at Delray Kings Point, but after seeing the Kings Point video, I'd have to make sure the misery portrayed in that video is greatly exaggerated.

So my question is, which of the three is the most active, year round? And if you know which of the three appears to have the youngest demographic, that would help, too (I'm 59).
Can you send link of KP video. I know I went there before but it felt dirty and the curb appeal was horrible not to mention car directly facing your patio and need to stay closed.

Old 02-19-2024, 06:54 AM

Sorry, Pinklady, I do not have a link. Perhaps you can find it with an internet search.

Old 02-19-2024, 09:49 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
At 59, I wouldn't want to live in any of those places. You really need to rent there first and ”try it, before you buy it”

Old 02-19-2024, 11:26 AM

City Guy, I posted this back in 2016. Someone new summoned me today by the wonders of email notification. Anyway, there are lots of people under 60 in Wynmoor and Century Village Deerfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area