Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 06:43 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
Learn how to read. I said most. The high risers most certainly do
But I’m not going to waste my time on answering you. You’re not worth it.
Got it......You have time to hurl insults but when you get stuffed with FACTS you suddenly have no time!

Looks like a fun place to live! Classy folks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkMgU8XYgME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 07:00 PM

676 posts, read 720,468 times
Another video!!! WOW. Ok I’ll give you the last say. Have a good evening. I got your number.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:18 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Central air in those old condos would cost a fortune. I had a one bedroom 650 sq ft apartment with a central AC unit and it cost me $100 just to run it a few hours at night to lower it from 90 to 80. Window unit for them is fine and if you have a large one in the front and in the back that should be enough to cool the place and they are cheaper to replace. I usually run my central AC sparingly and use a window AC in my bedroom and I just got a $60 bill and that's for a small 3/1 house.

Old 06-09-2019, 04:20 PM

8 posts, read 10,496 times
City Guy is just un-informed! He does not realize the economics and opportunities of a Retired Person. Once people retire they, like most, have the bulk of their retirement nest egg tied up into their homes. In short they are House Rich and Cash Poor! The game plan is to buy a home that is livable for the least amount to free up that cash and that will take up the least amount of their time -- then they can travel and budget out their retirement.
Throw in the possibility of living in a community that will be comfortable and practical for them until they die... and now you have their game plan. All the amenities, security, finances set in stone to budget, people in their age group without young kids running around: this is golden! The goal is to free up as much cash as possible to live out their years. They could rent of course but then they would be adding $12,000 plus to their budget and not be assured of being able to stay in that rental. These communities have 8000 homes each with some 15,000 residents who all provide a pool of security to collectively protect their retirement. Century Village has a proven track record for taking care of the property!

I guarantee that many of the people in the Country Village have several hundred thousand in cash and investments which they use to travel, dine out, and keep for medical emergencies. To say they are poor is just being flip when you don't understand.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:23 AM

41 posts, read 73,876 times
Good grief - CityGuy - you pull a video when people are looking their grubbiest after a hurricane and tempers are frayed. I know the person who made that video, and you are showing a video (as "typical") when, instead, the community was under stress without power for days. C'mon - that's BS! In fact, I am proud that people got together and pushed for getting power and food to the frailest amidst us, during that crisis.

SavannahMick has it spot on. I live here - CenturyVillage Boca. It's a great place to retire. Almost endless amenities. Good neighbors. Any retirement community has its 10% curmudgeons and we have our share. It should be mentioned that women really help our women here, as some cope with loss of a spouse or long term relationship.... it is an incredibly supportive network if you participate in even just a few community activites. The gym is top notch. Pools are well kept. And so is landscaping. Buses to help when you need them, either because you can't drive or don't want to. Our buses let you transfer (for free!!!) to Palm beach county buses. Many here use the money they saved as a financial cushion or to eat out with friends all the time, enjoy the arts, or travel. We have dances 2x a week with music, movies 4 days a week .... Those truly on tighter limited incomes make good use of the clubhouse and local poolside gatherings which are free. I am proud of our neighborhood and its mix of people and variety of interests.

Old 01-05-2021, 03:42 PM

3 posts, read 3,653 times
Default Century Village condo fees

The original question was asked what 10 years ago? It was about Century Village Fees Deerfield were more than Bocas at the time, I can tell you as of right now1-5-2021 Bocas Century Village are a good deal more as I have been looking. So don't think today's condo fees are indicative of the fee in the future. Expect the unexpected. The least expensive fees are at Century Village WPB but not by a lot but a noticeable amount. But your in a less desirable and more dangerous area (very high crime and murder rate in WPB). Century Village condo fees are generally higher than other condos as they are offering a lot of services and have a huge property with maintenance and upkeep, buses run every day to go shopping and its 24-7 gated. Very secure. But if you don't need all the services their are many, many other over 55 places with condo fees 25% less in the area. You really need to do your research.

Old 01-06-2021, 06:32 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
Thanks everyone, for their input. I had forgotten I started this thread. Time flies. We have been part-time residents of CVE (Century Village East in Deerfield Beach) for 5 years now. I have to say I have not regretted the move, as we have met many lovely people and found good outlets for our creative sides, as well as found good ways to be active without going outside the gates.

During the pandemic we became stuck here, so instead of heading off to our home far in the north which was one of the early hot spots, we have been here now for a year. CVE was instrumental in bringing a vaccine crew to this complex, and we have just had the first of our vaccine shots, administered right on site here, which was a great service, and only one of the many extra services provided to residents here. We have found that most residents are part time, and so this summer of staying in CVE was an interesting one for us, with the complex more than 2/3 empty and many of the facilities closed. Still, the large size of the complex here and the ability to keep walking, biking, and swimming without ever leaving the complex was a godsend in this time of pandemic.

Old 01-22-2021, 12:17 AM

676 posts, read 720,468 times
ndcairngorm thanks for your post. I live i CVE full time now for 2 1/2 years. I feel safe, and comfortable. Even during the height of the pandemic, I walked with my mask on and saw people. We were able to keep our distance because, like you said, its a large community. Bike riding was also a great way to pass the time.

Its very quiet here in the summer, but the beach is always a nice place to go and the pools as well. Before the pandemic, during the summer, the dances on Saturday night continued, the movies, and shows every other week in the party room were also nice things to look forward to. The exercise classes were cut down, but still enough to keep me busy. The winters were booming in here pre Covid. I'm looking forward to when things get back to the way they were before the pandemic, and I know I'm certainly not alone with that wish. Little by little, we'll get there.

I, too, have met some very nice people here. I got my first vaccine as well. This was a good decision for me to move here after my husband passed. I'm glad we are able to write good things about CVE, because, in the past, it wasn't considered so nice, I believe.

Last edited by Marble cake; 01-22-2021 at 12:26 AM..

Old 02-25-2021, 06:04 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post

I, too, have met some very nice people here. I got my first vaccine as well. This was a good decision for me to move here after my husband passed. I'm glad we are able to write good things about CVE, because, in the past, it wasn't considered so nice, I believe.
Yes, its reputation has improved greatly in the past decade, and it is considered the best Century Village complex now. Prices of course have increased quite a bit but it would still be considered affordable, I think.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:38 AM

5 posts, read 6,533 times
ndcairngorm,

I am thinking of moving to CVE...could you please let me know about what activities are available during the summer (pre-covid).
-Do they have the movies during the day and night in the movie theater?
-Are some of the clubs still running?

Also do the shuttle buses go directly to the beach or do you need to transfer to the public bus?

Thank you for any guidance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area