Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 06:16 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebell View Post
It varies by condo. There are several associations within Century Village Boca, where I live. Each month, to my condo association, I pay $257.68 for the recreation fee (that is all the amenities) plus $182.91 for the maintenance fee, for a total of $440.59 I know that in other associations it can be a little more. But everything here is maintained very well, the landscaping is great, and the pools are serviced frequently.
That's more than my mortgage, including taxes, property insurance and mortgage insurance, but I'm in Lee county and I bought at the right time. I didn't know the fees were so high. It's all HOA fees they just split it up so it doesn't sound so bad.

and when I went to see some in Deerfield Beach, I was in my late 40s but was interested in buying with my father the buildings were old but decent shape and you could not get a mortgage on them. All the ones I saw the older 2 level ones had ACs under the front window with a pan to catch the dripping water. Plus they have so crazy rule where each building has a President and they can discriminate against you for any reason if you want to buy. You have to pay cash or find your own loan financing so that makes it hard for resale, and I read about a problem where a man was buying units and then if he owned the majority of the building he could force the remaining one to sell low. I thought since that was a whole community it was not allowed but it was.

Last edited by LifeIsGood01; 06-21-2018 at 06:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 06:22 PM

676 posts, read 720,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
Wow...i can't believe they are actually considering a Cemetery?

Live, Die and be buried in CV. Now it could really be called "Cemetery Village!"
Very humorous but untrue. The population has made a turn around
to a much younger crowd, as the older ones are dying off.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
That's more than my mortgage, including taxes, property insurance and mortgage insurance, but I'm in Lee county and I bought at the right time. I didn't know the fees were so high.
They are that high but CV offers a lot.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:27 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post

CityGuy is a bigoted person, classifying "poor people" in CV. Really???

Like someone else said, all the snowbirds have second homes here. The winters here are fabulous. And the people here don't look poor to me. But if someone isnt wealthy and considered "poor" does that make them any less of a person??
Quote:
Very inaccurate. Most HAVE central air. Not poor people at all. What's wrong with you.

You are incorrect:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0-30374#photo1

Here is a condo for $47 a square ft, $28,000 in Deerfield Century Village without central air.

As a matter of fact, there are over a dozen units in Deerfield for 40K or less and I haven't seen a single one with central air! Look at the pics, no vents in the ceilings and outside pics show window shaker units.

HINT: If you are buying a condo for less money than a Camry you are not wealthy!

The local paper even did a story on Century Village residents that were too poor to eat!
The Hidden Hungry | SunSentinel.com

Educate yourself before you call someone bigoted.......CENTURY VILLAGE HAS POOR RESIDENTS!

Excerpt from the article linked:
“I know I’m not the only one that lives like this,” Hillyer said from her spartan apartment in West Palm Beach’s Century Village. “I mean, in this building alone, there’s like three or four people that live the same way.”

It’s far different from the tropical life of leisure many seniors had envisioned. Hundreds of thousands of retirees are living in what the federal government calls “food deserts,” or places where people have trouble getting affordable, fresh, nutritious food.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:27 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times
Quote:
They are that high but CV offers a lot.
I don't need a lot I need low HOA fees which includes the amenities. other places don't price it separately. Do they let you opt out of the amenities fee? Plus they have a strict pet policy which I don't care for.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
You are incorrect:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0-30374#photo1

Here is a condo for $47 a square ft, $28,000 in Deerfield Century Village without central air.

As a matter of fact, there are over a dozen units in Deerfield for 40K or less and I haven't seen a single one with central air! Look at the pics, no vents in the ceilings and outside pics show window shaker units.

HINT: If you are buying a condo for less money than a Camry you are not wealthy!

The local paper even did a story on Century Village residents that were too poor to eat!
The Hidden Hungry | SunSentinel.com

Educate yourself before you call someone bigoted.......CENTURY VILLAGE HAS POOR RESIDENTS!
Excuse me. I live here. And sorry you are bigoted. AND IM
NOT POOR. But what if I was. You make it sound like a plague. No compassion. I’m
Glad you would never live here. We wouldn’t want you to. Stay in your WEALTHY residence. You see the difference between me and you is I feel sorry for these people
And I would look to give them a meal from time to time. You aren’t compassionate at all.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
. All the ones I saw the older 2 level ones had ACs under the front window with a pan to catch the dripping water.
You must be bigoted as MarbleCake says.......MC proclaimed all units have central air!

Old 06-21-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
You must be bigoted as MarbleCake says.......MC proclaimed all units have central air!
Learn how to read. I said most. The high risers most certainly do
But I’m not going to waste my time on answering you. You’re not worth it.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Excuse me. I live here. And sorry you are bigoted. AND IM
NOT POOR. But what if I was. You make it sound like a plague. No compassion. I’m
Glad you would never live here. We wouldn’t want you to. Stay in your WEALTHY residence.
It isn't the plague, it is just lower income people living in small units!

Why the venom when I am simply pointing out the obvious?

Do you even know what the word bigot means?
big·ot
ˈnoun
a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.

I'm certainly not intolerant, I am just stating the facts. When I link a local paper's story about the poor living there without having enough food to eat then clearly there is a problem with people being able to afford living there.

Just as an FYI, I knew the original CFO of Century Village. Joe made a ton of money selling units to a very specific group of retirees. They nailed it from the outset and focused heavily on people from NY/NJ coming out of rent controlled apartments. Did you also realize they kept ownership of the common areas/pools/clubhouses and profit to this day from the operations of the common areas?

Old 06-21-2018, 06:41 PM

I’ve read many posts by you about CV and they weren’t kind. Especially the video. You
Are staying more than facts. The venom came from you first. It troubled me. And I’m aware of what bigot means (eye roll
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area