Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 12:30 PM

65 posts, read 156,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowwatertemple View Post
Your real life stories are heavily influenced by hard core racism.

Sorry Yellowwatertemple, but when you drive ALL OVER and interact with HUNDREDS of People per week, week after week, what you see with your own eyes and actually experience aren't racism. Also, crime statistics committed by zip codes do not lie either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 12:37 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Isnt it interesting when ppl say real life experiences (whatever they are) are not real?!?

Old 02-22-2014, 01:40 PM

32 posts, read 65,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowardPB View Post
When Hurricane Andrew cleaned out south/central Dade County and the survivors moved north.
+100

This is why Broward is becoming another Miami - 3rd world Country.
Sad ...

Old 02-22-2014, 02:52 PM

After hurrican andrew, my in-laws saw a huge decline in quality of life, and moved to nc. they want to go back TO VISIT ONLY. I said you may not even want to do that anymore.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:18 PM

32 posts, read 65,005 times
The majority of people who like living in So. Florida are people ( immigrants ) that immigrated from 3rd world countries, from Central and South America, where life is cheap, dirty and dishonesty is a way of life. The last 10 years a lot of Europeans also immigrated to Miami. Today, So. Florida is an entry point for immigrants looking to begin their life in the USA. However, these new immigrants are totally different than the immigrants that flooded the US in late 18th-19th centuries. Those immigrants were from Europe, had diginity and were motived to speak english and adopt to the American way of life .... Today's mostly Latin immigrants coming in to Miami today are totally the opposite, unfortunately, and the US has suffered because of this.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:34 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
After hurrican andrew, my in-laws saw a huge decline in quality of life, and moved to nc. they want to go back TO VISIT ONLY. I said you may not even want to do that anymore.
Amen, brother. When we left, I never looked back and it would be a cold day in hell before I'd ever return. I even turned down a job because they wanted me to come to Pompano Beach to train. I loved Ft. Lauderdale and Broward and even Dade County back in the '80s. I saw the rot set in during the mid 90s, and was happy to get out in 2000. I'd only go back if I had a time machine.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:35 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowardPB View Post
When Hurricane Andrew cleaned out south/central Dade County and the survivors moved north.
This is sooooo spot on. We were in Broward then and saw it all go down.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:25 AM

agreed... my in-laws who moved away in the early 90s loved it down there when they were younger. everyone (family) that lived down there either lives in nc or central fl now.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:15 AM

65 posts, read 156,963 times
I agree with most of what everyone is saying. I used to love it there in my early/mid 20's, the weather, beaches, nightlife, but as I got older I realized a good quality of life there is almost impossible. Over populated, high cost of housing, sky high property tax, property insurance, auto insurance. Wages don't justify the cost of living. I met some nice people, but lots of rude, scummy, shady people. I realize housing and taxes in the Northeast are high too, but they generally pay higher wages. My wife and relocated to Arizona, as we both hate cold weather. Compared to South Florida the pay is better, housing, insurance and taxes lower, in general far less rude, shady scumbags, more friendly people. People always say, "well Florida has no state tax". It's true but you are losing most of those savings with the high property tax/insurace, car insurance. Our gross combined income was close to $100,000 and we will end up owing the state maybe around $1000, which translates to like 1%. We saved that alone in our auto insurance, that went down like 33% after we told the company the new address. The customer service rep for Geico told us Dade and Broward county have the highest rates in the entire nation.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:47 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalBond View Post
Is the OP trolling for trouble? I don't see Broward as a bad place to live. In fact, I rather love it.

I like South Fla as well. People seem to have a need to justify how wonderful it is where they live by denigrating other places. Some of these posts are disgustingly racist as well. It is pretty simple--if you want to live as if in the midwest or deep south--live in the midwest or south. Stay there. If you want to live in a place that legalizes discrimination, where a powerful corrupt sheriff is not in jail, but should be, and where you should have your "papers" on you at all time as if in Nazi Germany, live in Arizona. If you don't like South Fla, just don't go there, but please stop trying to insult the entire population of South Fla just to feel better about yourselves. We that like South Fla also are glad that the naysayers who hate South Fla leave--it's a nicer place without them. They could post their "I hate Broward or Miami" threads in their own boring state forum, but they do not get that feeling of self-serving superiority they get by posting in Florida forums.

If people were just happy and secure with the geographical choices they have made, they would not feel the need to denigrate others who choose to live in Miami and Broward because it is an exciting diverse area with beautiful beaches and a multitude of activities and which draws world reknown figures such as David Beckham to invest in its future. If I had to choose who is wiser--the people who are constantly denigrating South Fla or smart successful people like David Beckham--I'll go with Beckham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area