Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 02:13 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
That's true. I always forget about some of those areas off of Sample Rd. Just seems strange that it would get named the 10th safest city in the U.S. Underreporting, perhaps? Or maybe the gangs just aren't doing anything. Or maybe it's just such a small area amongst a very large city. Who knows.
Compelled, I think it is all of the above. I also think you have to consider ones perception of ghetto too. I think where my brother in law lives might be considered the Ghetto. His zip is 33309, I wouldn't love living there, but it isn't horrible - not far from Oakland Gardens, right off of powerline and Commercial - there is a Micky D's right there. Are you familiar with the area? Anyway - it doesn't do much for the eyes, but the homes aren't awful - he bought when it was super expensive and is pissed that I will probably be getting a nicer house in a nicer area for less money, but this is the way things are right?

Perhaps you can make a comparison to a ghetto in NYC for me so that I could understand what it might intail in Florida. I would say the Pork & Beans Projects are as bad, if not worse, than the Jacob houses in the LES (once known to be very dangerous). Is this analogy a good one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 03:41 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,075,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
That's true. I always forget about some of those areas off of Sample Rd. Just seems strange that it would get named the 10th safest city in the U.S. Underreporting, perhaps? Or maybe the gangs just aren't doing anything. Or maybe it's just such a small area amongst a very large city. Who knows.

It is a relatively small area in a good sized town , plus the Coral Springs police are always patrolling some would say excessively ... the few crappy areas in Coral Springs ... overall it is a nice place to live .. I would rather live there than Pembroke Pines and most of Davie .... Northern Coral Springs bordering Parkland and Coconut Creek is quite lovely .

Old 01-11-2010, 03:44 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,075,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWARDCOUNTY View Post
CORAL SPRINGS is SAVAGE AS *** on coral ridge between sample road and wiles road its SAVAGE OUT HEA home invaisions robberys dope heads YUNG JITS wit FIE knives WAT EVA and they DO shoot at people AND NOT N THE AIR REAL TALK SO STAY OUTTA THAT AREA BETWEEN SAMPLE ROAD AND WILES ROAD ON CORAL RIDGE AKA DA RIDGE
Flavor Fave ???

Old 01-11-2010, 03:56 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
It is a relatively small area in a good sized town , plus the Coral Springs police are always patrolling some would say excessively ... the few crappy areas in Coral Springs ... overall it is a nice place to live .. I would rather live there than Pembroke Pines and most of Davie .... Northern Coral Springs bordering Parkland and Coconut Creek is quite lovely .
Northern Coral Springs is IMO where all of the crappier areas area, although mostly between Sample and Wiles Rd. The really crappy part of Coral Springs (along Riverside Dr) is in north Springs, between Sample and Wiles Rd. I would easily compare this area to Kimberly Blvd in North Lauderdale, or the crappy apartments behind downtown Davie, for example. The areas along Riverside to the south are pretty clean. South of Sample the worst you really find are a few crappy condo conversion complexes. It basically reminds me of... Pembroke Pines.

As far as living there over Davie or Pembroke Pines, the nice parts of Coral Springs are really nice, but I can't think of a Riverside Drive or an all-around subpar area anywhere in Pembroke Pines except for a single block of apartments along Pembroke Road, right next to the turnpike across the street from the sketchier side of east Miramar. Yes, there are also some apartments along Douglas Rd but they are more of the "neat and clean" variety and it's dead quiet around there day or night, which you can't say for that whole Riverside area. Pembroke Pines is definitely more working class overall and aesthetically not as nice, though, and their police seem to patrol more for traffic infractions than criminals. It's a wash IMO.

As far as Davie, anything west of University Dr is nice and doesn't have as much of the "cookie cutter" feel that you find in other areas. There is more land, more preserved trees, a healthy mix of old and new, rich, moderate, and lower class, etc. Davie also has better schools from 6th grade up, but otherwise, also a wash IMO.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 01-11-2010 at 04:06 PM..

Old 01-11-2010, 07:23 PM

Compelled can you make a comparison for me?

Old 01-11-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Compelled can you make a comparison for me?
Sorry I missed your post, but I can't really compare that area to anything in the city, maybe more like a Uniondale in Long Island, although that is still a rough comparison at best.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:11 AM

No worries love - I don't really know Uniondale, but I wouldn't want to be lost there either. So, comparitively speaking the rough spots in Florida aren't quite as rough as those in NYC? Let's forget about asthetics. For the most part Florida tends to be easy on the eyes even in the not so nice areas in comparison to the not so nice areas of the boroughs.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
No worries love - I don't really know Uniondale, but I wouldn't want to be lost there either. So, comparitively speaking the rough spots in Florida aren't quite as rough as those in NYC? Let's forget about asthetics. For the most part Florida tends to be easy on the eyes even in the not so nice areas in comparison to the not so nice areas of the boroughs.
Crime in THAT particular area isn't that bad, but overall, I would say it's the opposite.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:14 AM

Opposite meaning not so bad or opposite what I said, meaning bad - sorry, just want to clarify so, I have the right idea.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:50 AM

28 posts, read 102,258 times
the difference between safe area and bad area is a point that you also have to consider when asking yourself this question.. there are safe areas that are generally rental properties that arent maintained very well.. let's consider the area surrounded by east prospect, dixie highway, oakland park blvd, and n. andrews.. the area of n. andrews can be bad a few blocks west of andrews towards powerline as far as safety and gets safer towards oakland however some inner blocks of what they call lloyd estates is decent middle class homes.. just east of andrews there are some areas that are questionable but most of it is just rentals surrounded by industrial areas that arent really maintained well but wouldnt be horrible to live in.. that area east of prospect to dixie is a mixed hispanic area.. mostly decent people but dont expect to be able to communicate well with the neighbors if you dont speak spanish well..

i found it cool that someone pointed out the 33309 zip code, there are a lot of industrial areas in there that could fall under this conundrum.. i think its fairly well known that 33311 zip code is mostly unsafe area with sporadic plots of decently maintained areas mixed in.. i drove fedex in the areas and i moved about often so i could definitely provide insight on specific areas.. i think a good general rule to think of is use your judgement on the quality of the businesses on those busy roads and you can have a good idea on the level of safety that goes on in the surrounding residential areas..

take sunrise and 441 or broward and nw/sw 27th (Riverland Rd south of broward) for example.. then compare that to an area like NE 15th ave and sunrise or federal and oakland.. drastically different quality of business at oakland and federal compared to broward/sunrise and 27th ave... i do believe knowing those off the main road industrial areas of fort lauderdale is the true secret to knowing the quality of those neighborhoods..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area