Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 12:06 PM

38 posts, read 67,813 times

Advertisements

Miramar, Pembroke Pines and Davie is low class! Stay away from those areas!

Stay on the easy coast, because the waves, and the sound of waves are better than west coast, of Florida.

East coast is younger, more energetic.

The same warmth in So. Florida can be found all the up to about Cocoa Beach, and above Cocoa temps are 5-12 more or less. Still not bad ....

If I were you, I would chose St. Augustine!

Good luck Darlin !!!!!

Old 02-12-2013, 01:16 PM

389 posts, read 1,083,893 times
All I can say is, the farther north you go the more "white" it would be. Just my opinion. But either way, just look for some upper-middle class neighborhoods and you should be ok. What is your budget? Not sure if you mentioned it or not.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:26 PM

724 posts, read 593,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal1 View Post
Thank You for the suggestion NowSoFlorida, but because of certain health issue's it was advised to me that South Florida would be the best place for me. I dont think you need to be so smug and tell me to go to Montana, have nothing against Montana, but your reply was just plain rude, and mean spirited. All I asked for was safe neighborhood within certain area's, where one can feel safe going to store's, shopping, and local park to walk dog, and not be in fear that I may be subjected to gands, criminals, and other deviates who are usually looking to break law. You know exactly what I mean, dont want to live in ghetto. Want to be able to be outside in the front yard talking to neighbors, and not worrying about a slow moving vehicle, filled with guys with Doo Rags on there heads, getting ready to commit a drive by shooting, or better yet looking for the house that sells drugs, or maybe looking for the house with a bunch of HO'S. Whores, or skanks selling their bodies.
I didn't think I was requesting a difficult task, by asking for personal opinions for neighborhoods that are obviously predominantly more white.
Thank You,BigSicily954, for being kind enough to ask what I mean by safe area.
Thank you for any and all info that you can provide, I want to move to South Florida, and spend my time in a Bikini 8 months out of the year, which is not feasable in MONTANA
Just a suggestion. If you want to move to south Florida I would develop thicker skin. If you want a whitie wonderland you better have a few million in the bank and stay north of palm beach and east of the icw.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:50 AM

984 posts, read 4,316,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Loco View Post

Stay on the easy coast, because the waves, and the sound of waves are better than west coast, of Florida.

The same warmth in So. Florida can be found all the up to about Cocoa Beach, and above Cocoa temps are 5-12 more or less. Still not bad ....

Good luck Darlin !!!!!
Pembroke Pines is low class? A neighborhood with avg. income of approx. $100k-$110k in a County with an average of $40-45k is now considered low class? Unless you're talking about the certain parts of it near Hollywood. Then it's another thing.

And St. Augustine is probably a good idea for the OP, you're right.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:57 AM

984 posts, read 4,316,035 times
To the OP, there are still proper and very safe neighborhoods in SoFL. In your situation I'd recommend SW Ranches, Parkland, Key Biscayne (the issue here is that you'll have to rely in Central Miami for loads of things, which is kind of an issue), Palm Beach Gardens and most of Jupiter (though those two are up in PBC). They're all properly nice areas, but I should warn that they're overall not cheap at all.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:31 AM

389 posts, read 1,083,893 times
Quote:

Good luck Darlin !!!!!
You are out of your mind buddy. I live in West Pines and definitely not low class.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:57 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,080 times
regal1-

I do not believe you are racist and I understand your concerns. But your original post does come across as being offensive. Your opening rant came across as very combative towards other races. And this is coming from a white guy. If you had just typed that you wanted to live in a predominantly white area and left it at that, I don't think you would get the response you did. But going off on long rants about how minorities wronged you in the past isn't going to win you any sympathy on this board. I imagine a good chunk of the posters are of a minority background.

The thing about South FL is that there really aren't any "white areas" like you see in other metro areas. Some areas are more white than others, but nowhere exclusively white. Whites, Hispanics, and Blacks are mixed in for the most part. There are a lot of Black areas that are nearly 100% black though. The whitest areas are probably Parkland, Coral Springs, Lighthouse Point, Davie, Cooper City, and Southwest Ranches. Parts of Pembroke Pines, Eastern Deerfield Beach, Eastern Pompano Beach, Coral Ridge, and anywhere along the beach is predominantly white. Hispanics are mixed in almost everywhere.

You will also find a large Jewish population in the white areas here. Jews and whites are pretty much synonymous in these parts. There are a few areas of Orthodox Jews who wear the funny outfits and hats, but these are isolated areas like Western Dania Beach along Stirling Rd. and parts of Hallandale Beach. Most of the Jewish people are normal looking and dress normally.

The eastern areas such as Coral Ridge are nice, but area heavily transient. Lots of tourists in those parts. If you are young and want to be near the beach, you cannot go wrong living in Coral Ridge or somewhere east as long as you can get over the racial diversity issue. You will encounter people of all races on a daily basis. I have no idea where you are from, but people pretty much don't care about race here. Well some do, but not like most of the U.S.

Other parts of FL that were mentioned such as Sarasota, Naples, Fort Myers, Jupiter, Vero Beach, and other smaller cities around FL typically have entire subsections of nothing but white neighborhoods, but also have certain neighborhoods of blacks and are becoming increasingly Hispanic. These areas also have much older populations. Naples, Ft. Myers, and Sarasota are filled with old, white retirees. South FL is much more vibrant and has a larger 25-40 year old crowd, and a larger singles scene.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:06 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal1 View Post
I wish to express a most sincere Thank You to kmarc and Mr.Loco, for having the sense to comprehend, and compassion to sympathize with an individual who has been a victim of violence and has experienced the ill's of our society first hand.
I thought when I originally wrote the post I was apologetic in expressing my thoughts in what I was searching for in a neighborhood. And because I am honest enough to ask upfront what kind of area I want to live in, I am once again attacked and become a victim. I am not one to throw my hands up in the air and yell victim, because I am most independent, self reliant, work hard, pay my taxes, and have the right to choose selectively a neighborhood that I could live in without any other further stress, looking over my back in fear that if that person is a newly released sex offender on parole, or a seedy individual who has a record with the Police Dept. as a career criminal.
I have no problem living in a area that is predominantly white, Jewish, Italian, Irish, Canadian, Asian, Hispanic, and Black. It's not my fault that predominantly Black or Hispanic area's are neighborhoods with higher crime, violent crimes, and shootings. It's a shame that this is how it is, but I didn't create that situation, and am most sympathetic for the people that must live in those area's because of financial situations, and desire to live in area's that are safer so their children dont have to be exposed to violence, but once again, I did not create this problem, and am tired of hearing to many liberals, who are wealthy and live in homes in white safe, neighborhoods, and have lost all sense of reality of what really goes on in todays society of people committing such horrible violent crimes, and it's not just for money, but for the hell of it, like life has no value.
I unfortunately have been the victim of several crimes and one attempted rape, dont need anyone's pity, but you need to know there are always 2 sides of a coin. I work in the Health Field in Pulmonology and Neurology. I suffer severely from sinusitis, and the latest medical research has listed the top 10 cities to live in with pulmonary issue's and 7 out of 10 were in Florida. Also suffer from Psoriatic Athritis, which requires an area where one can exercise preferrably outdoors as many days of the year as possible, plus swimming in the ocean has many benefits.
All I ask for is area's within neighborhoods that are relatively safe, working middle class, where we all can enjoy somewhat quality of life, and that includes not living in fear. I dont care if there is an abundance of Jews, Asians, Italians, Irish, Germans, and whatever other nationality, as long as we can all live together peacefully.

PS: Why when I ask for a safe area to buy home in South Florida I get attacked, but I already knew a year ago from reading the threads and posts on here to "Definitely, STAY AWAY from anything in the zip code of 33311, and LAUDERHILL, IT'S A WAR ZONE, ALL BLACK, SEC.8, poor people killing one another, as stated by so many of you, so I wonder if anyone who has responded is currently living in that area, and condemning me for seeking a safe area. Just wondering
I hope you are not counting me among the people who are giving you a hard time. I think the thing that you have to understand is that there is a lot of crime here in south Florida. There is also a large hispanic population here. I misunderstood you and thought you wanted to avoid blacks, hispanics, asians and jews based on your initial post. That just isn't possible.

How much money do you want to spend on housing? Cooper City might be a nice place for you. You might also consider Pembroke Pines, Weston and certain neigborhoods in Plantation as long as you don't mind lots of hispanics and jews.

There is crime everywhere here. Even in the white neighborhoods. There just is. If you are looking for low crime don't move here.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:06 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,180,183 times
"If you are looking for low crime don't move here."

Exactly. A darned shame, too. There has always been crime in South Florida. Heck, back in the 1980s I remember the "Cocaine Cowboys" and the shootout in the Dadeland Mall area. The remake of Scarface with Al Pacino was based on South Florida druglord culture (mainly Miami, though). Miami Vice romanticized the criminal element of South Florida. Now it seems it's just sort of cheap thug stuff.

I loved the area when I lived there, and I especially loved living in Coral Ridge. I would never live there now.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:35 PM

229 posts, read 533,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

If you want to see ethnic makeup, this map will help. You can zoom in to particular neighborhoods. Bear in mind that the percentages change and the Hispanic percentages in south Florida continue to rise, and urban decay is more prevalent than gentrification.
Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com
If you're going to post a map at least post one that is actually up to date with the latest census:

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Correction: PARTS of those areas are "low class". Other parts are very nice and EXPENSIVE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area