Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 10:45 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times

Advertisements

Interesting, Grvthang. Unfortunately checking this out remotely is not possible. We're thinking of relocating to Century Village in Deerfield Beach, but this is in that area everyone says to avoid, yes? I sort of walked up and down it on google street view and it seemed ok, but I know this method is limited. Would we feel like we were in a sort of prison surrounded by chaos in that area (SW10th, Military Trail, Hillsboro, Pipeline Road)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 11:47 AM

8 posts, read 10,496 times
The reason Florida has bad neighborhoods along the 95 corridor is because those neighborhoods are old and filled with the people that 'service" the wealthy resort beach towns. Wether you look at Daytona Beach, West Palm Beach, or Fort Lauderdale those areas need people to clean the hotel rooms and perform other service jobs. It makes sense that these jobs can not be "commuter" type jobs but that people must live close by. Naturally people have always balked at living near Highway 95! Once you hit the West Palm Beach area there are many neighborhoods that were taken over by Caribbean transplants (Dominica, Haiti, Jamaica,..). Like any poor neighborhood with cheap rents, you get entrenched crime and in Florida that crime finds opportunity with theft of the elderly and wealthy.

This is one reason for the high crime rates in beach communities along with the fact that visitors come down to party and add to crime. If you look at the crime rate which is based on the population, it does not take into account that the community can have 10,000 people constantly filling the area hotels or coming down to the beach area to party.

That being said these communities are not filled with bad people but certainly incubate the few that are on the prowl. These neighborhoods are forgotten and avoided instead of bringing them into the fold: This makes the resentment and hate fester.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:34 PM

311 posts, read 450,501 times
Bad or low rent neighborhoods did not spring up around I-95. When I-95 was built, they picked the cheapest property to take by eminent domain. That is why the highway snakes through low rent and ghetto areas in South Florida.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:38 PM

311 posts, read 450,501 times
Cemetery village is safe. The area to the north is super safe and high end. To the west is slightly sketchy. To the South is mostly safe to green road. To the East is industrial area so nobody lives there.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,616 times
Default Following this Thread

Hi there. We currently live near Charleston, SC and are going to be moving south focused on Deerfield Area (farthest point north); and north of Lauderdale (farthest south). We have family in between including a precious grandson in the Oakland Park area. I want to be in a safe / decent neighborhood … gated preferably. is it possible to find such a community with amenities for about $385k? TYIA for any feedback.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:26 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBonvillain View Post
Hi there. We currently live near Charleston, SC and are going to be moving south focused on Deerfield Area (farthest point north); and north of Lauderdale (farthest south). We have family in between including a precious grandson in the Oakland Park area. I want to be in a safe / decent neighborhood … gated preferably. is it possible to find such a community with amenities for about $385k? TYIA for any feedback.
You could probably find a nice townhouse for that price.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:04 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Check out Deer Creek in Deerfield Beach

Old 02-01-2020, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,163 times
I am a single mom of 2 young kids. I'm looking at Limetree Village on 13th ct.this area was safe many years ago. Can anyone tell me how safe it is now?? How are the schools?? Thanks

Old 02-02-2020, 05:10 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachgur View Post
I am a single mom of 2 young kids. I'm looking at Limetree Village on 13th ct.this area was safe many years ago. Can anyone tell me how safe it is now?? How are the schools?? Thanks
Pretty famous complex 10 years ago, they lit a kid on fire there:
https://www.palmbeachpost.com/articl...NEWS/812036505

Old 02-04-2020, 10:22 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachgur View Post
I would strongly suggest passing on this complex/area.
Then again, it's all relative and what you're used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area