Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 22,839 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I was pulled over by FHP and long story short my license was suspended and my insurance company turned me in for allowing my insurance to lapse. My plate was seized by FHP and my car was impounded. I am trying to fix this huge mess, but how do I go about getting my tag back? Do I have to re-register at the Registration office? I already fixed my license, and got insurance.

Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 06:43 PM

924 posts, read 1,676,004 times
From Florida DHSMV Dealer Licenses:

Do I have to turn in my license plate when I cancel insurance?
When insurance is canceled and motor vehicle records indicate the vehicle is still owned by the same person and the license plate is still valid, the Bureau of Financial Responsibility, Division of Driver Licenses, requires that the license plate be canceled. The license plate may be turned in to a driver license or tax collector office.

So your plate was canceled and FHP was allowed to seize it because it is no longer valid. I think that means you have to get a new one but you can probably go to any private tag agency with the proper documentation and get it. If you are near Coral Springs, I recommend Broward Express Auto Tag Agency in the Maple wood Plaza, 1160 North University Drive, Coral Springs. I renewed two plates there this spring in under 10 minutes.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:28 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
So how are there uninsured motorists running around if the above it in place?

Old 10-12-2011, 07:43 AM

924 posts, read 1,676,004 times
The program depends on people voluntarily surrendering the physical plate. It's stupid becasue obviously if a person is the kind of person to not comply with a law making insurance mandatory, they probably aren't the type to go out of their way to stand in line at the DMV for the sole pupose of surrendering the plate and admitting they are about to drive away in an uninsured, unregistered vehicle.

So, it's up to random chance that they get pulled over for something else and get caught when the police officer runs the registration. They obtain the insurance to get the registration and then drop it a few months later.

The state ought to have a task force of officers that just go to parking lots and run tag checks on everyone parked there. Seize the plates right then and there and leave a big sticker informing the dirver that it is illegal to drive the car. Or, they could use a Denver boot. Simply ticket and boot the cars with bad tags.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:42 AM

389 posts, read 1,083,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
The state ought to have a task force of officers that just go to parking lots and run tag checks on everyone parked there. Seize the plates right then and there and leave a big sticker informing the dirver that it is illegal to drive the car. Or, they could use a Denver boot. Simply ticket and boot the cars with bad tags.
With all these cutbacks I don't think this is financially possible.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:46 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,202 times
Before they enacted such a project such as mobilizing this task force, they should at least issue a warning and a grace period for people to get their affairs in order.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:49 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,202 times
There should also be some collaboration with the insurance companies if they are going to enact this, to lower the cost of insuring a vehicle since this is the primary reason people skip out on this. It's all or nothing for the system to work.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:25 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
Before they enacted such a project such as mobilizing this task force, they should at least issue a warning and a grace period for people to get their affairs in order.
Grace period ? Sorry, that expired over the 3-4 months the insurance company sent notices of pending cancellation for non-payment.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:53 AM

1 posts, read 21,820 times
here is a really retarded problem i turned in my liscense plate because i no longer had a car and they have now suspended my liscense for not having insurance. and this is there mistake what should i do

Old 01-03-2013, 10:08 AM

91 posts, read 219,151 times
It should be a felony to not have car insurance. In NJ it is darn close to a DUI in overall cost/loss of license. I am glad they impounded the OPs car, he knew he did not have insurance. I hope its still in impound collecting daily fees and the car is new and worth 10's of 1000s of dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area