Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 05:53 PM

12 posts, read 27,328 times

Advertisements

We (husband, sons, myself) would like to move to FL from TX. Of course, selling our home is an issue in this economy, but there is someone who offered a home 'swap' in Lauderdale Lakes (a gated community, golf course, etc). The home looks quite comparable to ours and the community is upscale, but I'm concerned about life outside the gates. I haven't been to Ft. Lauderdale in ages (and even then Miramar was taking a downturn) so I'd like a little input from those in the know about the area.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 06:06 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
I can't think of any gated golf course communities in Lauderdale Lakes, but why not look in a different area?

Old 06-17-2010, 06:33 PM

I cannot recall the name of the club itself, just know that it's near St. Helen Catholic church, Embry Riddle (and a handful of colleges/universities), oh, and really close to the executive airport. The only reason we're considering it is that it would be a straight trade, house for house, and we wouldn't be any worse off monetarily (other trade offers have been ones that would require an extra outlay of cash). Selling a house is really a challenge these days.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:36 PM

I looked it up, it's 'oak tree' country club.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:51 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Real estate in Broward County is generally more expensive than in TX. Chances are that whatever you find here in Broward that is similar in price to your current home will be either smaller, or in a worse neighborhood.

Lauderdale Lakes is a predominantly black community near Fort Lauderdale. It is not a super high crime area but there are some rough spots. The schools there are not very good, especially the high school (Boyd Anderson for most of the city). Why don't you come for a visit before you make any decisions.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinckerbell View Post
I looked it up, it's 'oak tree' country club.
Is that Lauderdale Lakes??? I looked quickly at a map and it looked like Oakland Park. Oakland Park is nicer (IMO) than Lauderdale Lakes.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:09 PM

Thank you for the information - not that I wasn't already pretty sure about my suspicions about the area from reading the demographic info (and the news!). I do realize that the houses/property will not be the same size as what we have now, but then we do not want acres (like we have now, no more horses anyway). Our house is on the high end for our area (hence the difficulty in selling, though it does only take one buyer....). We're praying for a sale and then we'd store our stuff, take the motorhome down and poke around till we find the right area.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:24 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
I just looked it up. That neighborhood is pretty much in Tamarac, right off of Commercial Blvd (I guess technically Lauderdale Lakes) and the area around it is a-okay. I also would consider Oakland Park worse than Lauderdale Lakes IMO, but it's closer to Tamarac anyway. Watch out for the schools (terrible), otherwise it will be fine. As far as the rest of Lauderdale Lakes, most of the areas with single family homes are modest but fine, while most of the commercial areas and multi-family buildings are a bit shady. If you are familiar with Miramar, that is actually a pretty good comparison, except Lauderdale Lakes seems like it has proportionally more shady areas.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 06-17-2010 at 07:40 PM..

Old 06-17-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I just looked it up. That neighborhood is pretty much in Tamarac, right off of Commercial Blvd (I guess technically Lauderdale Lakes) and the area around it is a-okay. I also would consider Oakland Park worse than Lauderdale Lakes IMO, but it's closer to Tamarac anyway. Watch out for the schools (terrible), otherwise it will be fine. As far as the rest of Lauderdale Lakes, most of the areas with single family homes are modest but fine, while most of the commercial areas and multi-family buildings are a bit shady. If you are familiar with Miramar, that is actually a pretty good comparison, except Lauderdale Lakes seems like it has proportionally more shady areas.
I looked up a few addresses on the property appraisers website and they all said Oakland Park. I do agree that the immediate surrounding area over there is OK there no matter what the mailing address.

The schools are not great in that area regardless of the actual mailing address.

I feel like Oakland Park is more consistent that Lauderdale Lakes, although I agree that LL has some OK neighborhoods with single family housing. Oakland Park is a little scruffy but more consistent from block to block than LL.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:50 PM

Well, since the schools will be an issue, I think we'll have to continue looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area