Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 09:12 AM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I made hummus a few days ago using this recipe I posted, and added a splash of water at the end while my processor was running. I really didn't notice any difference. The recipe also mentioned some people add a couple ice cubes during the final mix, for extra creaminess, so I might try that.

I've been on a veggie sandwich kick ever since this thread started, and have discovered that pita bread is hard to find in my area. Local stores only carry the Ezekiel brand in the freezer. It's okay but I don't like frozen bread of any kind. Next quest: make my own pita bread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2024, 03:01 AM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
Read the thread title as Vegemite sandwich (which we often call a veggie sandwich!)
Not to American taste, I know, nor to most here who were not fed their Vegemite as a child.
But I rather like veggie with veggies! Especially Vegemite with avocado, shredded lettuce and blue cheese. Even better toasted!

Old 03-30-2024, 04:54 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I like mashed avocado, sliced tomato, thinly sliced red onion and and some greens- spinach, Romaine, red leaf.
I like to drizzle on a bit of olive oil, wine vinegar and sprinkle on oregano and black pepper..

The mashed avocado helps keep the other veggies from sliding out....
Sounds a lot like an open face sandwich I had for lunch yesterday.
I tossed the paper thin onions into a skillet with some olive oil, added sliced cherry tomato, sautéed for a few minutes, added some balsamic vinegar and tossed the greens in just long enough for them to wilt a little bit.
Sprinkled some 'everything bagel' on the avocado mash and topped with the tomato mixture. Yummy.

Old 04-05-2024, 10:25 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I am trying to eat more veggies, and have begun to prepare some home made veggie sandwiches. You need something beyond straight veggies to give it some richness and added flavor notes, plus it helps to keep the veggie bits from going AWOL while you eat the sandwich... a thick layer of either hummus or guacamole tastes good, and when I tried to review some nutritional comparisons, they both earned kudos!

https://www.bodyandsoul.com.au/nutri...79e36f5e82a23d

https://www.wellandgood.com/healthiest-dip/

I like using sliced tomato with salt and pepper, sliced cucumber, pitted/halved olives, shredded carrots - what are some of you favorite veggie sandwich stuffers?
I like those together! Guac and hummus. And I like them separate.

Deli slices - are Faux meats - layer with lettuce, tomato, pickles or kraut.

Buy Corn Beef style and make a Ruban or a Rachel.

Egg salad. Grilled cheese, (real or not) Faux ham and Swiss.

Make a bean or red bean burger.

Buy veggie burgers or veggie dogs.

Old 04-05-2024, 10:27 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Read the thread title as Vegemite sandwich (which we often call a veggie sandwich!)
Not to American taste, I know, nor to most here who were not fed their Vegemite as a child.
But I rather like veggie with veggies! Especially Vegemite with avocado, shredded lettuce and blue cheese. Even better toasted!
I am American and I enjoy both Vegemite and Marmite.

Old 04-06-2024, 09:01 AM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I like those together! Guac and hummus.
I tried this combo in the past week and liked it, too. I'm finding that making these veggie sandwiches (pita bread, in my case) is a great way to use up various vegetables that are about to spoil. Just chop them up and stuff them into a sandwich!

I really like sprouts on my sandwiches but they've gotten so pricey at the store, and I can almost never finish the whole bag before it spoils. Might be time to grow little containers of them on the window sill. Since they're ready to harvest in a week or so I can seed a new container every week to maintain a constant supply of fresh sprouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink