Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 07:45 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times

Advertisements

Trader Joe’s sells an eggplant spread: you could try it?

If you like it and out of time - just spread it on any bread you like for a very quick meal.

There are other veggies in there already
https://www.traderjoes.com/home/prod...-spread-075192
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 08:03 PM

1,262 posts, read 664,942 times
We enjoy grilled onions, avocado, sprouts, tomato, and mayo on whole grain bread.

Old 03-05-2024, 08:05 PM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
The OP and other suggestions all sound pretty good.

In my vegan years I often made a peanut butter & lettuce sandwich for a quick lunch. Crunchy peanut butter (natural, from the grinder) on a good, dense toasted bread (I used to like Dave's Killer Bread 21 grains & seeds) and romaine lettuce. I usually ate it just like this, but you could add whatever for some variety...sliced onions or tomatoes, spinach, alfalfa sprouts, etc.

Peanut butter, like hummus, is a legume based spread.

Old 03-06-2024, 09:40 AM

27,176 posts, read 43,867,759 times
For a blended sandwich of hot and cold try crispy Tofu or Tempeh with Broccoli Slaw (sold in most produce sections) tossed in Mayo. Drizzle some Hot Honey on it and eat in a pita or on toasted crusty Whole Grain bread.

Old 03-06-2024, 12:49 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times
Dang, I like all your sandwich suggestions--will have to try some of them!

I like mashed avocado, sliced tomato, thinly sliced red onion and and some greens- spinach, Romaine, red leaf. Sprouts, if I have them, but they go bad fast if not used up in a few days.

I like to drizzle on a bit of olive oil, wine vinegar and sprinkle on oregano and black pepper..

I used sprouted grain bread or Dave's Killer...

The mashed avocado helps keep the other veggies from sliding out....

Old 03-06-2024, 02:26 PM

5,650 posts, read 6,208,289 times
I absolutely love this in a pita:

Veggie, Almond & Feta Sandwich or Salad

2 small zucchini, diced
2 roma tomatoes, diced
1/2 cucumber, diced
1 green or red pepper, diced (I use red to better balance the colors)
1/2 onion (sweet vidalia recommended), diced
10 kalamata olives, chopped
2 tbls. fresh basil
1 tsp. fresh thyme
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1/8 cup olive oil
1/8 cup balsamic vinegar

Mix together all the vegetables. Sprinkle the herbs, feta and almonds on top. Mix the oil and vinegar together separately and sprinkle over the top. Mix until herbs, cheese and oil have been evenly mixed. Serve as a salad or as stuffing for a pita bread sandwich.

Old 03-10-2024, 02:25 PM

12,381 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Okay, so I have appreciated all the great ideas! - and for today's lunch/dinner, put a few into action - this is cut up eggplant and red bell pepper (50:50), stir-fried in olive oil with minced garlic, red onion and the last 2-3 minutes, balsamic vinegar, and then loaded into a whole wheat pita and finished with some Cedar's tzatziki sauce with cucumber and garlic (Greek yogurt sauce) - good stuff, and I would never have thought of all this, thanks! :-).

Attached Thumbnails
Veggie Sandwich: Hummus or Guacamole?  Yes!-veggie-pita-eggplant-peppers-balsamic-tzataki.jpg  

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 03-10-2024 at 03:04 PM..

Old 03-11-2024, 11:20 AM

12,381 posts, read 9,483,835 times
And another combo - this is sauteed Trader Joe's "cruciferous crunch" - shredded kale, cabbage, broccoli and brussels sprouts, stir fried with garlic, salt and pepper in olive oil, then halved small tomatoes sauteed with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and herbs de provence, and all loaded into a whole wheat pita that's been slathered with hummus. Pretty yummy!

Attached Thumbnails
Veggie Sandwich: Hummus or Guacamole?  Yes!-cruciferous-crunch-tomato-hummus-pita.jpg  

Old 03-11-2024, 06:37 PM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
>>>Putting pita bread on my shopping list.

Those look delish!

Old 03-11-2024, 08:55 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
And another combo - this is sauteed Trader Joe's "cruciferous crunch" - shredded kale, cabbage, broccoli and brussels sprouts, stir fried with garlic, salt and pepper in olive oil, then halved small tomatoes sauteed with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and herbs de provence, and all loaded into a whole wheat pita that's been slathered with hummus. Pretty yummy!
I can't give you a point for either of these posts! I'd happily eat those sandwiches. I was going to suggest a ratatouille filling, but you've pretty much covered that.

I once made an almond butter and slightly overripe peach sandwich with a few very thin slices of jalapeno. That was outrageously good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink