Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 10:22 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I once made an almond butter and slightly overripe peach sandwich with a few very thin slices of jalapeno. That was outrageously good.
I like to try odd combinations like that as well.

This thread motivated me to make some veggie pita sandwiches for lunches this week. Just for fun I looked at the cost of hummus at the store, and it's now in the $6-7 range for a 10 ounce container, so that was a no. I usually make my own in a food processor and the cost is under $2 for a yield around 16 ounces. For creamy hummus, try this recipe. Sometimes I use Great Northern white beans instead of garbanzos and it turns out just as good.

https://www.inspiredtaste.net/15938/...hummus-recipe/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 04:48 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
>>>Putting pita bread on my shopping list.

Those look delish!

If you are packing a lunch (as opposed to eating right away, a wrap is a better choice than pita, which can get soggy and fall apart. I pack a veggie sandwich when I am on the road at lunch time. Whole grain wrap, hummus or guac, spring mix, sliced red pepper, mushrooms if I have them. Sometimes add a slice of swiss cheese. Roll it up!!

We used to make these a long time ago - we called it a Golden Temple sandwich after the restaurant that made them - pita, split with cheese inside, briefly toast to melt the cheese, add sprouts, sliced mushrooms, any other veg you like.

Old 03-12-2024, 01:13 PM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I like to try odd combinations like that as well.

This thread motivated me to make some veggie pita sandwiches for lunches this week. Just for fun I looked at the cost of hummus at the store, and it's now in the $6-7 range for a 10 ounce container, so that was a no. I usually make my own in a food processor and the cost is under $2 for a yield around 16 ounces. For creamy hummus, try this recipe. Sometimes I use Great Northern white beans instead of garbanzos and it turns out just as good.

https://www.inspiredtaste.net/15938/...hummus-recipe/
Thanks for that recipe!

Old 03-12-2024, 06:55 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
^^I've been using that recipe for years but just now noticed the part about adding a splash of cold water at the end, while the processor is running, for extra fluffy/creamy hummus. I'm going to try that next time!

Old 03-17-2024, 12:42 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
In the summer we like garden Sammy’s with tomato sliced and a dusting of salt and pepper, fresh spinach and a sliced onion or my favorite home pickled radishes. Hardy bread with real mayo.

Old 03-17-2024, 03:06 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
Here are a some of the veggies I love in my lunch wrap:

diced pickled beets--just discovered the diced version (Aunt Nellie's) that saves time cutting
pesto--I make a big batch then freeze as cubes and unfreeze when the current cube runs out
asparagus--leftover from dinner the night before it's flavored with balsamic vinegar
beets (again but not pickled)--I oven roast fresh store-bought beets for dinner and the extras go in fridge for lunch
hummus--husband makes this weekly and it's available for wraps or as a dip
coleslaw--I get this in the deli section rather than make it myself

I always cook extra veggies for dinner so they are available the next day for lunch.

Old 03-19-2024, 05:48 PM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
In the summer we like garden Sammy’s with tomato sliced and a dusting of salt and pepper, fresh spinach and a sliced onion or my favorite home pickled radishes. Hardy bread with real mayo.
Yes, in summer I love to buy fresh, fully ripened local tomatoes from Cider Hill Farm. They have so much flavor! Really good open-faced on some buttered sourdough or whole grain toast, sliced thick with just some salt and pepper or some herbs to dress them. Sometimes I also fry them a little bit in olive oil with minced garlic and herbs and might melt a slice of cheese on.

Old 03-19-2024, 06:01 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Yes, in summer I love to buy fresh, fully ripened local tomatoes from Cider Hill Farm. They have so much flavor! Really good open-faced on some buttered sourdough or whole grain toast, sliced thick with just some salt and pepper or some herbs to dress them. Sometimes I also fry them a little bit in olive oil with minced garlic and herbs and might melt a slice of cheese on.
That is a sammy!!!

Old 03-21-2024, 01:56 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
As much as I do not like most Boars Head products and dislike their business practices, I have to admit that their traditional hummus is the most flavorful and smooth hummus that I have purchased.

Old 03-28-2024, 06:33 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I don’t think anyone mentioned fried green tomatoes yet. Good with remoulade sauce or something like Thousand Island. A restaurant in town makes a BLT with fried green tomatoes, but it’s probably still good without the B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink