Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2023, 12:44 PM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I got a bunch of it free from WalMart last week due to their screw-up with an order. Hope my yard helper likes it.

After seeing a funny meme about giving Ramen instead of candy at Halloween, "It's not Trick or Treat, it's Chicken or Beef," I had two big bowls; one full of candy and the other full of flat Ramen packages. All the children got candy but almost all of the older kids took a Ramen! I will always do that now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2023, 02:58 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Is the egg raw before cooking? Or a boiled egg?

raw egg and he stirs it and cooks it for a bit - like egg drop soup technique.

Old 12-06-2023, 08:17 PM

6,146 posts, read 4,504,012 times
Currently, it's Nongshim Shin Ramyun, gourmet spicy flavor. The American one. I haven't been able to find the Korean one near me. They have a chicken flavor in a gold package, but it costs a fortune! so I haven't tried it yet.

I second Indomie Mi Goreng.

For a real splurge, it's Prima Taste Laksa La Mian - two people could eat this and be satisfied.

Mama clear soup vermicelli comes next, and Mama tom yam.

I have a Samyang in the cupboard that I've never tried.

Old 12-06-2023, 10:24 PM

17,353 posts, read 16,498,076 times
Top Ramen chicken flavor. I boil the noodles, drain the water and then sprinkle on the seasoning packet.

This and Kraft Mac & Cheese were what I lived off of in college.

Now they have way too many carbs for me so very rarely I'll buy a package, take out the seasoning packet and sprinkle it over konjac noodles. It's not the same but it satisfies the craving.

Old 12-07-2023, 08:24 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
For a real splurge, it's Prima Taste Laksa La Mian - two people could eat this and be satisfied.
I had Laska in Malaysia 10+ years ago, and it remains one of my favorites from that trip (Malaysia, borneo and Singapore).

I've seen that Prima Taste Laska in our Asian grocery stores, and I'm always tempted to buy it. But it's always in a multipac and it's not cheap. I've never been able to convince myself to bite the bullet and try.

Old 12-07-2023, 08:28 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
They have a chicken flavor in a gold package, but it costs a fortune!

Boy, you aren't kidding! I can order both of these on Walmart+ but they're $30 and $50!

Old 12-07-2023, 10:20 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
My husband loves these. I Only buy them occasionally due to the high salt content. I boil and drain the noodles, add half of the seasoning packet and butter and mix well. That's how he likes it. I have never eaten the pre-packaged ramen or any ramen bowls. I will try a ramen bowl at my local Japanese place sometime in the future.

Old 12-07-2023, 11:45 AM

23,518 posts, read 23,995,040 times
I recall the generic beer also, but cannot recall if I ever tried it. The version sold at “Ralph’s” grocery had “beer” printed in big black letters on the can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
I do remember the generic labels. Their "light beer" was cheap and tasted like Old Milwaukee. I was in tech school out of Basic in the Air Force and buying cheap beer was pretty important back then

Old 12-07-2023, 11:47 AM

61,659 posts, read 87,041,175 times
My absolute favorite is Nongshim Shin Black Ramen. Just perfect without any adds on.

I also like other brands like Sapporo or Nissin, but love to jazz them up with a little something extra: extra veggies, or an egg, fried tofu, little miso paste or coconut milk, roasted sesame seeds, extra spices, or kimchi, enoki mushrooms...

I keep few small ziplock bags with very thin cut vegetables and meat, that get cooked by adding boiling hot water or broth (kinda like Pho).
I often add beef broth instead of plain water. Or use plain ramen noodle and make my own spice mix (miso, chili paste, teriyaki, curry, Sriracha, fish sauce, garlic paste, ginger, Rayu spicy oils etc ...)
Plain ramen noodle adds a great crunch to your regular green salad mix too or add it to your stir fry.
You can actually do with it whatever your heart desires. Outcome will surprise you!

Old 12-07-2023, 11:52 AM

23,518 posts, read 23,995,040 times
I can certainly relate to those days, back in college, at my off-campus apartment (shared with my roommate.)

Canned chili, instant ramen, potato chips, protein bars, cereal, canned beans, Spam, peanut butter & jelly sandwiches and fruit were some of the “treats” (sarcasm intended) we ate as college kids. 1-2x a week, a trip to the local fast food restaurant (i.e., Del Taco, KFC, Pizza Hut, Mc Donald’s, etc.) was common for some “real” food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Oh wow, I remember eating really cheap ramen when I was first on my own and in college. All I had was an electric kettle and no fridge, so ramen was a staple of my diet, along with peanut butter. Can't eat it now though due to the sodium. Ironically I got a bunch of it free from WalMart last week due to their screw-up with an order. Hope my yard helper likes it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink