Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2023, 09:10 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times

Advertisements

This year is moving so fast and yet we have another holiday(s) to celebrate.
Christmas eve menu will be:

Swedish meatballs
rice Pilaf
Pigs in a blanket
Shrimp cocktail
Cheese and crackers
Spinach dip and crackers

Christmas day:
Sausage and egg casserole
toast or English muffins
coffee

not doing a big dinner so if anything we will eat left overs from the night before. It's just 3 of us.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2023, 09:26 AM

10,891 posts, read 7,382,548 times
I'm thinking lamb, potatoes, roasted veggies, and a lava cake.
There's just two of us, can be flexible.

Old 12-04-2023, 09:42 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
We're an Interfaith household, so we celebrate both. So far my menu is:

This Friday night (2nd night of Hanukkah)
Brisket and carmalized onions
Latkes

Christmas Dinner
Prime Rib with horseradish cream sauce
Twice baked potatoes
Asparagus wrapped in bacon and puff pastry (my 16 yo is making this)
Key Lime pie

Old 12-04-2023, 10:48 AM

126,272 posts, read 19,041,682 times
The whole multinational family of ours is coming from Christmas Eve until New Years Day.We will be three generations under one roof.
On our German themed Christmas Eve I will be making a spicy curry dish with large meatballs served with basmati rice and fried onions.For the kids I will make baby dill/parsley meatballs served with mashed potatoes and caramelized baby carrots.To drink beer,red/white wine and skiwasser/raspberry syrup, lemon juice and water for the kids.The rest of the evening we will enjoy my German Christmas cookies,coffee or Glühwein and a board of cold cuts and cheeses with little round party Pumpernickel bread.

On Christmas Day we will have a brunch, Kaffeeklatsch with Marzipan Stollen and Baumkuchen served with black coffee.

In the evening roasted Cornish hens in a red wine sauce,served with Bauernbrot,Pretzels,braised red cabbage and cranberry chutney.To drink either wine,beer or for the kids black current juice mixed with water.

Old 12-04-2023, 12:05 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Always the same dinner. It is our night to splurge on a big prime rib. Last year and this year, my son will cook it on the smoker.

Add baked potato, sour cream, a steamed veggie and a green salad, and we are happy to stick to tradition.

No one wants dessert. I usually make something and it sits untouched until the next day. Every year the same thing. Some one will say "which do I want? Cheese cake or another slice of prime rib?" and the beef wins out.

When my son was quite young and money was really tight, I saved for months to get together the money for that prime rib roast. I had a special little cache of cash, carefully hidden away. $50 for a rib roast was as much as my food budget for an entire month. That Christmas roast was really a special treat and even today, when I can afford to just walk into the store and buy any roast I want, that prime rib has a special emotional attachment for my family.

Old 12-04-2023, 12:40 PM

23,530 posts, read 24,011,889 times
On Christmas morning, we plan to prepare a brunch, around 9:30-10:30 AM. Probably prepare Eggs Benedict, buttermilk hotcakes, fresh fruits, coffee and juice.

For Christmas dinner, we are contemplating on ordering a turkey meal from the local Raley’s supermarket (a local Northern California based chain.) Still deciding…

Small gathering of four of us.

Old 12-04-2023, 12:47 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,203,824 times
Wow! Some of the menus here sound great!

I originally thought some pasta and sauce would be good, but I have to admit, it seems like we didn't really enjoy as much of the Thanksgiving Turkey as usual...so maybe another one would be nice.

For Christmas Eve, it's probably going to be cheese/crackers/snacks/cookies.

It's just the two of us so it's nothing formal.

Old 12-04-2023, 03:41 PM

27,205 posts, read 43,896,295 times
For Christmas Eve Dinner I live for a Prime Rib as well...crusted with a paste of crushed Rosemary, finely minced fresh Garlic and Kosher Salt with Olive Oil. Cooked at 425 for 20-30 minutes and reduced to 325 until Medium Rare/Medium. Served with Roasted Yukon Potatoes and a Green Salad with crumbled Gorgonzola and Balsamic Vinaigrette.

Old 12-04-2023, 03:42 PM

8,041 posts, read 10,632,364 times
I am doing Christmas Eve dinner this year.

White or red wine and light appetizers for starters.

Homemade vegetable beef soup and cast iron skillet corn bread.

Followed by gourmet coffee and everyone coming is bringing a dessert to share.

Old 12-04-2023, 10:26 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,404 times
My favorite thing -- a reservation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink