Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 08:09 AM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
The whole multinational family of ours is coming from Christmas Eve until New Years Day.We will be three generations under one roof.
On our German themed Christmas Eve I will be making a spicy curry dish with large meatballs served with basmati rice and fried onions.For the kids I will make baby dill/parsley meatballs served with mashed potatoes and caramelized baby carrots.To drink beer,red/white wine and skiwasser/raspberry syrup, lemon juice and water for the kids.The rest of the evening we will enjoy my German Christmas cookies,coffee or Glühwein and a board of cold cuts and cheeses with little round party Pumpernickel bread.

On Christmas Day we will have a brunch, Kaffeeklatsch with Marzipan Stollen and Baumkuchen served with black coffee.

In the evening roasted Cornish hens in a red wine sauce,served with Bauernbrot,Pretzels,braised red cabbage and cranberry chutney.To drink either wine,beer or for the kids black current juice mixed with water.

What exactly would be German-themed about a "spicy curry dish with meatballs and rice"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2023, 08:15 AM

126,264 posts, read 19,031,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
What exactly would be German-themed about a "spicy curry dish with meatballs and rice"?
We have a multi national family,this is a dish chosen this year.The German baked cakes,Stollen,German Christmas baking is all the same.

I guess I phrased it...wrong..for us we celebrate on Christmas Eve .....

Old 12-05-2023, 09:31 AM

7,321 posts, read 4,115,298 times
I'm doing the Feast of 7 Fishes with an English twist! I'm using the Afternoon Teabook by Michale Smith.

I'm doing a tea sandwiches - (1) lobster tea sandwiches, (2) salmon and cucumber tea sandwiches, (3) sardine tea sandwiches, (4) eggs tea sandwiches with fish roe added on top.

As for the rest - (5) French onion/anchovy tart (from Julia Child), (6) Russa shrimp salad with vegetables (from Marcella Hazan's cookbook) (7) A salted cod Italian salad (traditional family recipe).

The tea sandwiches, tart and cod salad will be made ahead of time. I will not spend all Christmas Eve in the kitchen! I might have time for church and to put my feet up for a few minutes! Yea!

Old 12-05-2023, 11:32 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I forgot to add I am making a cheese cake and maybe some Toll house chocolate chip cookies.

Old 12-09-2023, 11:00 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,432,246 times
Had a regular Thanksgiving dinner for me and my husband. Had to freeze leftovers because
I made too much. Don’t want it for Christmas. My husband said maybe ham. I said we can have whatever we want you know. So we’re having lasagna. Stouffers. We like it.

Old 12-10-2023, 05:50 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
We will go out for a fancy dinner on Friday, the 23rd. On Christmas Eve there’s a neighborhood luminaria, so we stay in and have something simple, but a bit special, like seafood chowder, and fancy nibbles.

Christmas Day is always roast beef, twice baked spuds, salad, rolls, asparagus or green beans, and mince pie.

Old 12-10-2023, 07:08 AM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
Our traditional English roast dinner:

Pork crown roast
Yorkshire puddings
Apple sauce
Sage and onion dressing (Paxo)
Roast potatoes
Rutabagas
Brussels sprouts
Cauliflower and cheese sauce

No room for dessert after all that! But hopefully my mother will make some Congress tarts. They are small and much loved by all in the family.

Old 12-10-2023, 10:57 AM

7,321 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
No room for dessert after all that! But hopefully my mother will make some Congress tarts. They are small and much loved by all in the family.
Sounds wonderful - what are congress tarts?

Old 12-10-2023, 11:28 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
My favorite thing -- a reservation!
Same here, but mine will be in Costa Rica! Not sure yet what my menu choices will be.

Love reading all the good stuff other people are planning, though.

Old 12-10-2023, 01:19 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
After a lifetime of Norwegian themed Christmas dinners we're making a change. We'll still have the cookies from the Old World.

There will be only three of us this year and I wanted things I could do ahead. So I am making a favorite - Italian sausage lasagna, Caesar salad, garlic bread. We'll have a cold shrimp platter for appetizer, a tradition. And for dessert, frozen mud pie and cookies.

Culver's has a flavor that I can't always get - Midnight Toffee, and it's outrageous. The very darkest of chocolate filled with pieces of toffee. I'll slather a layer of hot fudge over the top and add a layer of coffee ice cream topped with whipped cream. All on a Walker's shortbread crust.

No one will have room for it. LOL.

I love reading here, too. You make me smile. Waiting to hear from the rest of us.

To all you keepers of tradition, Way to Go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink