Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 09:16 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times

Advertisements

If you just want to quick meal and don't want to wash dishes, my wife likes Stouffer's meatloaf and salisbury steaks in a small meal. Meatloaf comes with mashed potatoes and salisbury steak has mac and cheese. Just a couple dollars each and you don't need a plate.
On the subject of having to wash dishes, for the last 20 or so years, we've been using styrofoam plates as our "fine china". Hold up great, handle hot foods just fine, and no washing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2022, 09:24 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Do you have a Whole Foods near you? They have prepared meals that you can just heat up that are pretty good. They are expensive, but still cheaper than some of the meal kits and you should be able to get them delivered through Amazon. A few of the local groceries in my area also have similar meals that are around the same price, but I am not sure if they deliver. It is worth checking in your area. They seem to be about $10 each.

Old 09-26-2022, 09:24 AM

130,194 posts, read 12,093,129 times
When I was shopping the other day, in the freezer dept, I saw bags of "Sheet pan dinners" I think it had chicken, potatoes & veg all in the one bag & you just put it on a sheet pan to cook in the oven. Very simple. If that is still too much work for you, a non cooking spouse could manage it.
When I was laid up, many years ago, I would buy the crockpot bag meals, it had everything you needed & just put it in the crock pot. I don't know if they still sell those, but if not, just a small piece of meat, some baby carrots ( no need to peel) & a few potatoes & onions, in crock pot with soup or broth, you have a meal.
I hope you are healing well.

Old 09-26-2022, 09:35 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
OP, I just noticed in my Factor account that I can apparently send a free box to friends. I don't know how many meals come in a free box, and you would probably have to create (and then cancel, if you so choose) an account to claim the free box. But if you'd like to receive one, send me a DM with your email address.

(I have a limited number of free boxes, so if anyone else is interested in trying Factor, send me a DM and I'll see if I can send you one.)
So, what do you like best about Factor?

What are your favorite meals?

Old 09-26-2022, 10:04 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

I tried Factor earlier in the summer. Virtually all of the meals were good, though portions are a bit small. I preferred the pork chops, ground beef, and sausage entrees, but I didn't have any that were "bad." The food is largely keto/high fat/low carb.

I had two issues that stopped me from using it.

1) Cost. After the initial trial price, the six meal plan is now $14.50/meal. I can have a very nice lunch out for that price. I can make most cooked meals for ~$7-$10 less per heal. If I portion the way they do, I'm guessing I'd probably have $3-$4 into each meal that size.

2) Delivery time. The meals arrive on Tuesday - for me, often not until late in the day Tuesday. I work from home, and tend to eat these meals at home for lunch, sometimes for dinner or breakfast.

I'd want a Monday delivery date. If they arrive on Tuesday after lunch, I'm eating them for literally every non-breakfast meal until Friday.

I go to my girlfriend's on Friday after work, or she comes here. She either cooks on the weekends or we go out.m

Old 09-26-2022, 11:32 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

It's good quality, but expensive. I don't think I'll continue it more than a few more weeks (I had an introductory special that spaced the discount over several boxes. Once the discount is used up, I'll likely stop ordering.)

I really really liked the chorizo chili. In fact it's on the menu in a couple of weeks, and I'm going to order probably at least four or five of them and stick them in the freezer.

Old 09-26-2022, 11:58 AM

6,631 posts, read 4,298,457 times
We have tried Sunbasket and Blue Apron, and just switched to Home Chef (this is our first week). Sumbasket has a lot of ethnic choices. Decided to switch to Blue Apron when they raised their prices. Blue Apron is very good. Recently switched to Home Chef to try something different. May switch back to Blue Apron at a later point if we find we don’t like Home Chef as well. All have good food, but the food does take some time to prepare. We’ve found that we have to add a side to the meal to have enough food. We can’t eat out for roughly $11.00 per meal, including taxes and shipping; plus we get to try different foods, spices, etc.. We are saving money on our grocery/restaurant budget. Several of these companies have started charging a surcharge for certain premium entrees, which makes the price too high.

Old 09-26-2022, 12:25 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well, I looked into Factor and it sounded pretty good until I checked the price - $15 per meal not counting tax and delivery! So it's a no for me. Even if a bit bland I might try the Freshly. Still debating on my options.
We did the Factor meals for about 2 months. I liked that you just put them in the microwave for 2 minutes. No clean-up at all and they weren't skimpy with the amount of food. If you order 8 meals it winds up being about $10 per meal. We enjoyed them a lot at first but after a while all the meals tasted the same and we grew tired of chicken. Some of the meals were better than others. I just couldn't justify spending that much each month for the convenience factor (no pun intended) when I only work part time from home.

Old 09-26-2022, 04:56 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
We did the Factor meals for about 2 months. I liked that you just put them in the microwave for 2 minutes. No clean-up at all and they weren't skimpy with the amount of food. If you order 8 meals it winds up being about $10 per meal. We enjoyed them a lot at first but after a while all the meals tasted the same and we grew tired of chicken. Some of the meals were better than others. I just couldn't justify spending that much each month for the convenience factor (no pun intended) when I only work part time from home.
Agree, these meal cost too much for what they are. For now, I am getting groceries delivered which includes a few things very easy to prep, also some cheap but pretty good takeout a couple times a week. I got some takeout Chinese the other day that was enough for two meals for me, same price as these meal plans. It seems like a nice idea, but at the end of the day no bang for the buck.

Old 09-28-2022, 02:09 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Agree, these meal cost too much for what they are. For now, I am getting groceries delivered which includes a few things very easy to prep, also some cheap but pretty good takeout a couple times a week. I got some takeout Chinese the other day that was enough for two meals for me, same price as these meal plans. It seems like a nice idea, but at the end of the day no bang for the buck.
I placed an order with a local meal prep service. I got a pound of steak, pound of buffalo chicken, 6 oz. of lime fiesta chicken, and a salmon meal for $40 combined.

It's much cheaper than Factor or other meal kits. I'll either eat some fresh veggies, or microwave frozen.

Publix also sells premade meals for $8-$10. They're about the same size and maybe as good as a Factor meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink