Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 06:46 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Costco entrees are great. My husband loves the meatloaf and mashed potatoes.

Large portions, but easy enough to freeze some for later.
No Costco where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2022, 06:55 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,469,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
No Costco where I live.
most supermarkets have meals for sale,ready made sandwich,salad ,even peeled hard boil eggs .
It is not too difficult to prepare meals at home,this morning I browned a boneless Nolan chuck roast,preheat oven to 375 and place it in a casserole for hours,it is tender and delicious,
I poured a can of Swanson beef broth to enhance its flavor,if you are ambitious,brown some onion ,add peeled potato ,carrots and brussel sprouts,
It could last you a few days.
with those Eat fresh package,they have so many little packages you have to unwrap,read instructions,and they are not any better.

Old 09-26-2022, 03:25 AM

51,648 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Quote:
No Costco where I live.
Well, that's too bad.

Sam's Club? Do you have one of those in your area?

Old 09-26-2022, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Thank you all. At this point I have rejected the idea of the meal delivery - too many negative reviews, price is high, too much packaging. As to my hubby not being able to prepare a meal, well let's just say he more than makes up for it in other ways he takes care of me, and he has been wonderful.

At this point I will just get by with takeout and grocery meals and some grocery frozen dinners, bagged salad etc. until I recuperate a bit.
I smiled at the suggestion that the husband could fix dinners.

If I wanted to eat steak and baked potatoes and cream tuna on toast for weeks on end it might work. Otherwise, it's back to the drawing board.

Old 09-26-2022, 03:56 AM

We've tried several of the meal delivery services, so has a good friend, and both of our daughters. None of us are using one now. Too many meals where we didn't care for the taste. Soon they were just stacking up in the frig and freezer.

Freshly and Factor may be different. Usually, there's some sort of discount for the first few boxes. Try it out. The worse that can happen is you will have a number of easy, so-so, healthy meals.

Both are still in business, so some people must like them.

Old 09-26-2022, 04:19 AM

My go-to easy meals are packets of Tasty Bite and Seeds of Change. They heat up in the packets, so no cooking mess.

Madras Lentils from Tasty Bites tastes like chili. We pour it over Seeds of Change brown rice and quinoa, both heated in the microwave first, of course. Sprinkle on some grated cheese, bought grated, then frozen and thawed. If you're feeling up to it, top it with chopped red onions. But totally not necessary.

Seeds of Change is different combinations of grains. Tasty Bites has various flavors of rice as well as lentils, garbanzo beans, spinach, ... all in in Indian type sauces.

The Channa Masala is another favorite.

I keep these packets in the cupboard for when I absolutely cannot use my shoulder.

Old 09-26-2022, 04:41 AM

Kevin's Natural Food is another good brand for tasty, healthy, easy to fix food.

I've used the boxes where the chicken is separate from the sauce packet. It's cooked already, but you drain it, tear it into pieces, sear it and pour the sauce over. So it is a bit of fuss and bother

I generally add vegetables to it, often a couple handfuls of frozen stir fry vegetables, or tri-color coleslaw mix,

We really like the Thai coconut chicken, and the Korean style BBQ.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 09-26-2022 at 04:56 AM..

Old 09-26-2022, 05:01 AM

The tastiest, least fuss and bother, healthy meals I've found are these packets, supplemented with some frozen mixed stir fry or roasted vegetables or a packaged side salad.

I'm not kidding.

I love food bowls -- taco salads, Korean rice bowls, spaghetti, rice and legume combinations, rice with meat/veg/sauce, ... And these packets are perfect.

The Kevin entrees need refrigeration, and need to be used within 30 days or frozen. But Seeds of Change and Tasty Bite can sit on the shelf for months.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 09-26-2022 at 05:13 AM..

Old 09-26-2022, 06:45 AM

16,417 posts, read 12,495,187 times
OP, I just noticed in my Factor account that I can apparently send a free box to friends. I don't know how many meals come in a free box, and you would probably have to create (and then cancel, if you so choose) an account to claim the free box. But if you'd like to receive one, send me a DM with your email address.

(I have a limited number of free boxes, so if anyone else is interested in trying Factor, send me a DM and I'll see if I can send you one.)

Old 09-26-2022, 09:02 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
Quote:
Thank you all. At this point I have rejected the idea of the meal delivery - too many negative reviews, price is high, too much packaging. As to my hubby not being able to prepare a meal, well let's just say he more than makes up for it in other ways he takes care of me, and he has been wonderful.

At this point I will just get by with takeout and grocery meals and some grocery frozen dinners, bagged salad etc. until I recuperate a bit.
I should have mentioned. Last fall DH had a serious issue that hospitalized him for four days. Our medical insurance sent huge weekly boxes of meals for him for a whole month. We told them it wasn't necessary but they insisted on fulfilling the contract. The meals were varied and flavorful.

We had no idea that that was part of our insurance. The hospital must have arranged it. Wonder if this could be an option for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink