Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 11:47 AM

853 posts, read 647,636 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I want to try american food, but traditional in that country. Please dont tell me burgers neither mexican food since I will leave Mexico shortly after living here one year and a half so I am tired of mexican food. I will try finding some similar food in Madrid but since one day I want to go there, USA, to make historical tourism, I would love to eat something "made in USA".

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 12:04 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
THe US is a big country with a lot of cultural influences, so it's hard to say what is typically "American" food beyond burgers and pizza and hot dogs. People in Texas have different food, traditionally, than someone from New England or the West Coast.

I'm from the Midwest--the only thing that's coming to mind as something traditional is like a tuna casserole or similar.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:10 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,648,652 times
Here a few things that come mind:
Chicken fried steak w/mashed potatoes
BBQ ribs/brisket/chicken w/potato salad or pulled pork bbq
Fried seafood (catfish, shrimp, location depends)
Beef stew
grilled steak or prime rib

Old 02-25-2017, 01:38 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
America is such a large, diverse country that there's very little cuisine that is uniformly "typical". But one that might come close is a "traditional" Thanksgiving dinner. Even though different people/regions/cultures will put their own spin on it, most people would agree that turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce are staples.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:38 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
There are a few foods that predate colonization, and the European colonization of the Americas brought about the introduction of a large number of new ingredients and cooking styles that is proportional to the influx of immigrants from additional foreign nations.
When it comes to food, America gets a bad rap. It's a common refrain that America has no cuisine to call our own. We've got apple pie and hot dogs, but that's about it - and when you really get down to it, the Germans invented hot dogs, and the British were eating apple pie like... 1,000 years ago.
But there are dishes that one could call typical American, and we have invented some of the most creative, daring, and yes, downright craziest dishes the world has ever seen
Listing a few:
Corn dog - actually a hot dog, dipped in a cornmeal, deep fried and served in a stick
Philly Cheesesteak - plastic cheese called Cheese Whizz is a must. Also try French dip sandwich which is delicious.
Chinese food - yes, it's entirely an American creation and doesn't even resemble authentic Chinese food
Reuben sandwich - lol, there are indeed some people who think this is an international delicacy. Nope - invented in the USA
S'mores - I would have a hard time to even explain to my friends overseas what that is, and why we eat it here in the US.
Cobb salad - something that totally contradict the meaning of a healthy salad
Baked Alaska - interesting dessert, I didn't tried it yet, but it's on my bucket list
Turducken - such a brilliant-but-simple innovation Totally American.
Chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream - invented by Ruth Graves Wakefield, now reinvented and significantly "improved".
Buffalo wings - staple at the bars, goes great with beer
Muffins - English muffins, actually
German chocolate cake - I never saw it in Germany or anywhere in Europe. Invented/originated in Dallas.
Doritos - invented in... Disneyland
French dressing, Russian dressing - just the names
Chimichanga - no, it's not Mexican. Invented in Arizona.
Eggs Benedict - on English muffin, a traditional American brunch or breakfast dish.
Peanut butter and jelly sandwich - warning - you will be fighting to get the sticky goo off the roof of your mouth. Beloved sandwich in the US.
Breakfast burrito - was invented in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Popular breakfast food. Also street food.
Sandwich bread - typical American, not recommended, though, to people who know how real bread taste
BBQ - has been a staple of American culture. There are many styles of cooking, and subcultures with wide variation between regions.
American pizza - bearing only a casual resemblance to the Italian original. Iconic dish of considerable popularity. Try it.
Cornbread - common bread in US cuisine, particularly associated with the South and Southwest.
Hushpuppy (or cornbread ball) - frequently served as a side dish with seafood and other deep-fried foods.
Crab cake - crab meat and various other ingredients, such as bread crumbs, milk, mayonnaise, eggs, and seasonings.

Note: in the US, size of the dish matters more than quality. And in general, restaurants are looking not for what is good food - what is good is what sells. GENERALLY, the cuisine pervasively sweet, and salty, and fat. They eat sweet breakfast, drink sweet drinks with every meal. Love cookies, cakes and muffins. Love fried food. Love salt.
Watch your waist while eating here, OP.

Last edited by elnina; 02-25-2017 at 01:59 PM..

Old 02-25-2017, 02:22 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Here are some sites that the OP could research:

Home - Greater Midwest Foodways Alliance
Southern Foodways Alliance

After you have looked at these sites, I would be happy to answer any questions.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
Hi,

I want to try american food, but traditional in that country. Please dont tell me burgers neither mexican food since I will leave Mexico shortly after living here one year and a half so I am tired of mexican food. I will try finding some similar food in Madrid but since one day I want to go there, USA, to make historical tourism, I would love to eat something "made in USA".

Thanks in advance.
What you are asking is not easy as we are a country of many regions and probably the most diverse country in the world thus typical as you say varies; I would say BBQ, fried chicken, Ceasar, Waldorf or Cobb salad, fresh veggies on the grill or roasted, Salmon cooked many ways: french fries, po boy sandwiches, grits, and God only knows what else.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:59 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
try a maine lobster

steamer clams

venison (deer meat)

moose meat

fried chicken...

americanized chinese food- pupu platter

pizza

blueberry pie

ben and jerrys ice ream

reese's peanut butter and chocolate pie

pepperidge farms,,,,3 layer coconut cake,,

hot buffalo wings

thick rib eye steak

Old 02-25-2017, 04:17 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
We have such a wide range of American food depending on the region. Some meals:

BBQ Ribs(pork)
Pot Roast
Beef Stew
Fried Chicken
Chicken and Dumplings
Salisbury Steak(like a burger with brown gravy)
Macaroni and Cheese
Chicken Wings
Philly Cheesesteak
Po' Boy sandwich
Reuben Sandwich
Nachos
Chili
Lobster Rolls
Corn Dogs
New England Clam Chowder
Crab Cakes
Meatloaf
Chicken Fried Steak

Apple pie
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Bagels

Biscuits and gravy
Grits
Waffles

Baked Beans

Old 02-25-2017, 04:21 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,641,430 times
OP, it depends on which region(s) of the U.S. you plan to visit. This is a very big country and the types of cuisine found here reflects that. Coastal areas will have the freshest seafood, the middle parts of the country are known for their great steaks and BBQ, then there are regional specialties such as Cajun food in Louisiana, German in the upper Midwest, Tex-Mex in the Southwest, Cuban in Miami, etc...

As diverse as we Americans are, I think you'll find that our food is the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink