Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 06:33 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,230 times

Advertisements

Also when I think of American food I think of things like Hamburgers and french fries, Fried Chicken and Mashed potatoes, pizza, tex mex food, american chinese food, apple pie, hot fudge sundaes? Honestly, American food is usually something of a disappointment to the rest of the world. Food quality is usually not the best, it tends to be oversalted. But we like it LOL My Dad is from Spain and he hated eating in the US. He was used to eating everything made from scratch, meats and vegetables and seafood fresh caught. A lot of American food is reheated and oversalted and overprocessed. Even at restaurants.

That being said, I recommend you try Five Guys for burgers and fries, their food is very fresh.

Also Macaroni and Cheese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 07:15 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
Honestly, American food is usually something of a disappointment to the rest of the world.
You should see how many American style hamburger and pizza joints there are across the world full of locals paying way more than they would for local food. There are even a few old school diners we've come across. Subway restaurants too, those things are all over the world and always packed.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:09 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Caltovegas

Find a Waffle House and order The All-Star. Next try cheese cake. Last try a Reese cup or a snickers

I hope this is a joke. I never even heard of Waffle House until a recent vacation in Florida and I didn't know where to eat. Gag. Soggy, sweet, horrible waffles in a fast food type atmosphere. No comparison to real waffles at home. Cheese cake, I agree. That's good stuff. Candy bars? Nah.

Same with iHop--cheap junk and they don't even sell maple syrup anymore. They have fake flavored sugary syrups instead. Maple syrup is American and was invented by the Indians. Denny's? Not too bad but, again, just another junk food chain. Most people wouldn't eat any of this food very often. It's the kind of food you might eat on a road trip.

I agree with the person who said they hadn't tried most of these on the list below. Me neither. I don't even want to know what a corn dog is--sounds like something you'd eat at a fair or a carnival. I know meatloaf, pot roast, mac and cheese, Boston baked beans. But chicken fried steak??

Contrary to all the junk food ideas, Americans do NOT fry everything. Why would you fry steak? We do have french fries and sometimes fish and chips=fried, but that's of British derivation.

BBQ Ribs(pork)
Pot Roast
Beef Stew
Fried Chicken
Chicken and Dumplings
Salisbury Steak(like a burger with brown gravy)
Macaroni and Cheese
Chicken Wings
Philly Cheesesteak
Po' Boy sandwich
Reuben Sandwich
Nachos
Chili
Lobster Rolls
Corn Dogs
New England Clam Chowder
Crab Cakes
Meatloaf
Chicken Fried Steak

Apple pie
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Bagels

Biscuits and gravy
Grits
Waffles

Baked Beans

Old 02-27-2017, 11:17 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Yankee potroast

Old 02-27-2017, 11:20 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
As a Canadian, I feel confident to say: GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE!

Before you all yell at me, I love the stuff. Seriously.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:15 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
...Before you all yell at me, I love the stuff. Seriously.
So do I; I eat it at least twice a year, and I'll order it as a side if I see it on a menu. However, don't get too fancy with the recipe.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:17 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
So do I; I eat it at least twice a year, and I'll order it as a side if I see it on a menu.
I'd eat it every week if I could. On a menu? That I've never seen. What are you doing for lunch tomorrow?

Old 02-27-2017, 12:19 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
...On a menu? That I've never seen...
I see it on diner menus occasionally, as it's cheap and easy to make.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:43 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't even want to know what a corn dog is--sounds like something you'd eat at a fair or a carnival. I know meatloaf, pot roast, mac and cheese, Boston baked beans. But chicken fried steak??
Corn dogs are fair food, but also available in most grocery stores. I don't care for them but most kids seem to just love them, maybe because they are on a stick, lol.
Don't knock the chicken fried steak until you try it, classic comfort food, smothered in gravy, that goes exceptionally well with mashed potatoes and corn or mac and cheese. Oh and not good steaks, it's a way to prepare cheap cuts, like cube steak.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5148/...66618fc44d.jpg

Old 02-27-2017, 01:57 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
As a Canadian, I feel confident to say: GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE!

Before you all yell at me, I love the stuff. Seriously.
Love it. Easy, quick, inexpensive, delicious. I make it a few times a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink