Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 11:12 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,772,415 times

Advertisements

I mentioned making bone broth in another thread, so I thought I'd search and see if there had been much discussion on this trend already. I didn't find anything, so I thought I'd start a thread here for us to discuss this subject, as I am very interested in it.

I made some myself recently, sort of....after our church's Christmas dinner a lady cleaning up offered me the leftover ham bone. I usually decline stuff like that (lazy!), but I had read about the bone broth craze and decided to take it and give it a try. My original plan was to just cook it in with some 99-or-something (lol) bean soup that I was going to make, but it was too big for my 6 qt. Dutch oven. So I just pulled all the meat off that I could and threw it in, and it was some fine bean soup.

Then, I remembered I had a larger stock pot (one of those old thin, enameled kind), so I put the rest in there and cooked it. It didn't quite fit in there either, but I just waited until it had cooked a while and pushed it down and broke it in two. I actually had to put it in the fridge overnight and start it again the next day because the bones were not falling apart by the time I was ready to stop working for the night. After the broth started tasting more "ham-my", I took the bones and a small knife and scraped all the marrow out (they never did get soft and fall apart). I put it in the freezer....took it out a day or two ago and cooked some great northern beans in it, and you talk about good! I had salted the broth to my taste and didn't even have to add any salt to the beans.

Also, I had read on this board about a lady who "roasts" chickens in her crockpot and then, after everyone has had their fill of the meat, puts it all back into the crockpot and simmers it for hours and hours to make broth. That was my original plan with the ham bone (the crockpot, so I could let it simmer overnight) but, you guessed it....it didn't fit. So anyway, I had some leftover chicken parts from making some chicken enchiladas (which turned out pretty good, for me!). I put them in a pot and cooked them until the bones fell apart (I actually took them out and broke them after they got soft and got all the marrow out), strained it, and put it in the freezer. It's still in there because I haven't come up with anything to make with it yet. I would like to use some of it to cook the pork roast I asked about in another thread, but alas, it put it all up in a gallon bag and I don't know how to just get a little bit of it out (maybe cut bag away, use a butcher knife to slice off a chunk, then put the remainder back in freezer in a new bag?). Lesson learned....next time, divvy it up into quart-sized bags.

So anyway....I'd love to hear other "broth stories".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 11:23 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,840,940 times
I grew up on Spanish version of beef bones soup. But I like this version better. If I can't find chopped ox bones, I get the beef soup bones instead.

Ox bone soup (Seolleongtang) recipe - Maangchi.com

Old 02-23-2015, 11:29 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,285,787 times
This is a craze? People have been boiling bones for broth for eons.

I mostly typically do a chicken in the crock pot, then shred the meat and put the bone and skin back in the crockpot with water. Let it simmer overnight, then strain in the morning.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:48 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,223,833 times
The best stock is made from bones, I usually use chicken bones leftover from roast chickens or buy veal bones from a butcher.

For chicken I save carcasses and bones (stripped of all meat) in the freezer and make a stock when I have about 3 chickens worth of bones. I brown them in a 450 degree oven, then simmer them in a large stock pot for 30-45 minutes, and remove any scum that is floating on top. After that I put a lid on the pot and throw it in a 200 degree oven and leave it for 8-16 hours. After that I strain, degrease, and return to the stock pot. I'll then simmer it with herbs and aromatic vegetables for an hour. Then just strain it and it's good to go.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:30 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,774,275 times
I had cornish hens for Christmas and used the remaining bones to make a great stock. I usually use the Crockpot to make stocks. I divvy up the stock into quart-size freezer bags.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
The best stock is made from bones,

I brown them in a 450 degree oven, .
Yes, that was one thing I read about it, that roasting the bones first makes the broth more flavorful.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
This is a craze? People have been boiling bones for broth for eons.
I know they have, but recently people have "rediscovered" the benefits of bone broth, one of which is thrift (I love thrift!) and another of which is nutrition.

You haven't heard about that place in NYC called Brodo where all they sell is bone broth, and people are drinking it like coffee and paying $4-$5 for an 8 oz. cup?

All I know is, those were some delicious beans that I cooked in the ham broth.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:22 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,431,346 times
Haha a friend made some bone broth, her naturopath told her to...got marrow bones...the whole thing was fat...
and on top of that she added nothing! Not even salt.
So I brought some of mine (oh, of course only grass fed, org) over...
it had curry, tomatoes, raisins for iron, onions, parsnips, the works!
It was strained.
Like a restaurant. she loved it...She wasn't told to add anything.

Next one same thing...even tossed an org pear in there, I don't care...potatoes
for the potassium, dash of cloves, tarragon, bayleaf, turmeric to kill bacteria in the intestines...the kitchen sink.
Cooked for 48 hrs. covered ...don't have to add water.

Yum...should get more org bones this week...I could walk to the Org meat market...I'm very lucky...not every town even HAS an org meat market!
Otherwise what are people pulling out of the bones...I hate to think...darn government and greed with the hormones, antibiotics, pesticides like crazy!

I've been doing beef bones, btw...that way the dog still
has something afterwards.

And yes...it is not stock like in a French kitchen cooking all day....
it cooks for 48-72 hrs....
for any new folks here....it is 'new' on the scene.
If someone was doing that before, yay.
Brodo in NYC...yup...very smart!!!!

Old 02-23-2015, 03:08 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,089,287 times
The term "bone broth" is sort of redundant. Who makes broth without bones? Except for vegetable broth of course. I make mine in a large pressure cooker. Marrow bones roasted under the broiler till nearly burnt, then into the cooker with carrots, celery, onions, garlic cloves and a thyme/rosemary/bay spice bundle. Some salt and pepper. High pressure for at least an hour and the pressure cooker extracts every single bit of gelatinous goodness out of those bones. Way easier than watching a stock pot simmer all day and to my taste much better.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:09 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,089,287 times
Don't forget the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink