Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 05:47 AM

845 posts, read 1,351,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Is that what bone broth is, when you crack the bone? I make chicken soup by tossing a raw chicken leg in water with some salt and pepper, let it boil and once the chicken leg is pretty cooked, take the meat off and put the bone and meat back in the pot. Then I toss in onions, carrots, celery and potatoes. I don't crack the bone, but it's still a tasty broth. I wonder if it would be an even tastier broth if I cracked the bone?
I cannot confirm nor deny that cracking bones adds or changes the flavor. This method might add unwanted little bone bits or pieces in your broth.

You can use chicken and pork bones, pork and beef bones, chicken, or pork, or beef, together or separate. If I have them and keep them, I may also add some fish bones. (Not the tiny stringy ones, but fish heads or the "thicker" bones; tails of uncooked shrimp). Add celery, onions, carrots, peppercorns, garlic, maybe some green peppers, but I will usually keep one, celery, and carrot ends/remains and put them in the freezer for later stocks/broths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2019, 08:57 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,537,550 times
Not sure that we can call this a trend since this has been around forever. You've heard of "Jewish Penicillin" right? Part of it was the bone broth in the soup.

I've been buying more bone broth lately and getting it from Osso Good Bone Broth Company. It comes frozen and is very good.

Old 11-28-2019, 10:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,658,055 times
Bon Appétit published this (regarding the alleged differences between bone broth and plain old stock) a few years after trendy NY restaurants started selling cups of sippable bone broth at exorbitant prices :

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bon...-and-stock/amp

Old 11-29-2019, 10:00 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,755,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
As an amateur home chef, I'm finding this trend interesting. Has anyone tried any of the many new products for bone broth?

I'm now seeing frozen bags of beef bones for consumers to make their own broths, and they're now offering many other forms of broth --even sipping broths. They're promoting the collagen aspects of it, as it's supposed to be good for your complexion.

If you've tried it, what is your opinion? Is it a passing trend or will it evolve into even more similar products.

As a fan and maker of homemade soups and sauces, I'm loving it. What are your thoughts on it? How have you used these products and does it enhance your culinary experiences?
You mean what is old is new again? Maybe millennials just didn't grow up eating the healthy stuff and fast food made home cooking less popular.

As long as I can remember, my mother has made bone broth out of chicken, pork, or beef. If you pay for bone broth you're overpaying. Because it's the leftover bones that are used to make bone broth and it takes just a few hours of simmering to make.

Old 11-29-2019, 05:30 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,224,027 times
I have part of a turkey carcass in the slow cooker now. Later tonight, I’ll have turkey broth for soup.

Old 12-01-2019, 06:53 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,807,832 times
Have anyone use bones from cooked drumsticks, pork chops, steaks, etc. to make broth? I have not and would like to know. It is kind of a waste to throw the bones away after you eat the meat, if you can extract some nutrient/flavor from those cooked bones into a broth.

Old 12-01-2019, 10:52 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,852,123 times
I, unfortunately, have recent experience with this. My son came down with idiopathic acute pancreatitis and had to be hospitalized. After about a week, his choice was to stay in the hospital or go home on an all-clear-liquid diet. I flew down and we tried all kinds of purchased broths/stocks: sipping, bone, etc etc.

They are all pretty awful, eventually I just bought an Instant Pot that could do high pressure (15mb) and made a bunch of different stocks, flavored with various things to give him some variety. I even made a dashi (Japanese fish stock made from dried bonito) which was only okay, but still better than the stuff that comes out of soup packets.

A lot of things sold as bone broth tasted pretty much identical to the regular "stock" variety of same. There is NO labeling requirement, just an FDA requirement that "beef" or "chicken" stock contain 3% protein in the finished product. Labeling is not your friend in this, it is all marketing and the claims are not substantiated by anyone.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 12-01-2019, 11:43 AM

6,167 posts, read 4,550,869 times
"Bone" broth might be a trend, but even if you don't realize it, making broth from a whole chicken is basically the same, with extra flavors. If you make something like chicken curry, try it with cut up meat or small chicken pieces on the bone and you will instantly taste the difference.

I had when anything becomes trendy because the price skyrockets. Used to stew oxtails when I first got married for $.79 a pound, now they're $6.50 because they're on trend.

Old 12-01-2019, 11:49 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,852,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Used to stew oxtails when I first got married for $.79 a pound, now they're $6.50 because they're on trend.
I actually think that it is more that the method of getting meat to the market has changed - depending on your local market, it is rare that they get an entire carcass to divide in to various cuts, so the oxtails might not be available without special order. Your best bet is a butcher shop large enough (but not too large) that still gets the whole carcass.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 12-01-2019, 11:52 AM

130,670 posts, read 12,177,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Have anyone use bones from cooked drumsticks, pork chops, steaks, etc. to make broth? I have not and would like to know. It is kind of a waste to throw the bones away after you eat the meat, if you can extract some nutrient/flavor from those cooked bones into a broth.
I often make chicken broth using the chicken carcass or bones, from cooked chicken. Just boil it up with some onion, celery, carrot & a bay leaf or two. I usually fry the onion & then add the rest. Once it is cooked, you can strain it to remove the bones. Some people remove the veg too, but I eat those. I freeze it in one cup portions, so it is ready to use when I need it.

Re OP: I have seen cartons of bone broth in the store, but I am not paying that price for flavored water. Next time beef ribs go on sale, I will make my own bone broth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink