Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 04:50 AM

57 posts, read 848,155 times

Advertisements

Depending on the agency, most allow the public to ride with officers on patrol. Most require you to complete a form, and a quick background check is performed prior to riding. They then let you pick your date and time, and come on in. There are some agencies that do no allow civillians to ride, and believed FHP is one of them. Sometimes liability prevents them....

And to the poster who was referring to Martin County. I have never been to Martin County, only driven through it. There are bad apples amongst us all, and in every profession. I find it very hard to believe that an officer was convicted of stealing from a homeless person, and having a sexual relationship with a teenager, would still be employed. I'm sure there is more to the story, or less to your rumor.

And as far as professionalism and redneck cops. You should take a ride to some of the REALLY small populated counties of northern Florda or south Georgia! Now these are the real good ole' boys.

I've come to learn that people who complain the most about law enforcement have been arrested in the past, and will be the first to call when they need help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 05:37 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,773,843 times
[quote=JonSch7;11920979......

.....I've come to learn that people who complain the most about law enforcement have been arrested in the past, and will be the first to call when they need help![/quote]

Well said .

Old 12-07-2009, 08:29 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,751,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSch7 View Post
Depending on the agency, most allow the public to ride with officers on patrol. Most require you to complete a form, and a quick background check is performed prior to riding. They then let you pick your date and time, and come on in. There are some agencies that do no allow civillians to ride, and believed FHP is one of them. Sometimes liability prevents them....

And to the poster who was referring to Martin County. I have never been to Martin County, only driven through it. There are bad apples amongst us all, and in every profession. I find it very hard to believe that an officer was convicted of stealing from a homeless person, and having a sexual relationship with a teenager, would still be employed. I'm sure there is more to the story, or less to your rumor.

And as far as professionalism and redneck cops. You should take a ride to some of the REALLY small populated counties of northern Florda or south Georgia! Now these are the real good ole' boys.

I've come to learn that people who complain the most about law enforcement have been arrested in the past, and will be the first to call when they need help!
Your last two comments seem to contradict themselves. In one you refer to cops as "Redneck" and "Good old boys". You imply they are corrupt and to be careful of. Then in the next comment you want to deny someone the right to complain about cops and the way they do their jobs at times, else they be suspect of being law breakers.

You don't have to get arrested to see what cops are capable of, you just need to watch the evening news. I dare say there is even one person on here who can't tell a story, either from personal experience or a friend they personally know of a cop over stepping their authority.

As far as bad apples, in the law enforcement business the percent is very high. The odds of you running into a bad cop is probably like 1 in 4 if not worse. The city of Hollywood Fl. actually lost almost every single cop on the force all the way up to the chief some years back due to being corrupt. It was amazing, there wasn't an honest cop on the whole force. I think, (I would have to do some googling) a couple were even involved in murders. Many cops are whacked out on steroids, like a lot. I see cops, a lot of cops, who look like body builders.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:14 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
YThe city of Hollywood Fl. actually lost almost every single cop on the force all the way up to the chief some years back due to being corrupt. It was amazing, there wasn't an honest cop on the whole force. I think, (I would have to do some googling) a couple were even involved in murders. Many cops are whacked out on steroids, like a lot. I see cops, a lot of cops, who look like body builders.
Growing up outside of Philly PA, Cops were as feared as
the Stassi. They were a boys club of locals that issued
beat-downs regularly. When I got mine I won a law suit
because the cop did it to me in front of too many people.
What made it worse was, I was the victim of the stuff that
generated the original call.
The Cop was just too juiced to ask questions first......

I got an infraction for telling this real, life story in another
forum from a police officer who is a mod, so this will
be my last contribution to this thread

Old 12-07-2009, 09:42 PM

7 posts, read 11,614 times
Simple answer, if you're innocent, then you have nothing to hide. Don't whine about being searched, don't whine about your car being searched. Cooperate and do what they say and they'll be done with you quickly. Here they work seven days straight with five days off, long shifts, with a lot of BS from people like those posting in this thread. I imagine they're pretty tired by 0300 when you're driving around the same block a dozen times, which, I hate to tell you, would look pretty suspicious anyway. All of ours have at least four years of college or active military service, and because of the latter, they have more than earned respect from you and I. They are not required and often are not allowed to "be nice" to you or hold your hand. Yes, they do shoot people and don't get investigated. Reason being that if you shoot at a cop, you're gonna get shot at. Don't rob a convenience store and you won't have a problem. Not like anyone they shoot are model citizens doing something for the community anyway. Simple fact is that those of you who don't like cops don't like the fact that they will do their job (which is an honorable one, unlike your flipping burgers or selling crack). That job being to put trash in the trash. Obey the law and they won't mess with you. If you don't like the laws, then by all means, move to a beautiful place like Somalia, Iran, or the "Democratic" People's "Republic" of Korea.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:53 PM

27 posts, read 132,514 times
I've lived here my whole life, and have never been "harassed" unjustly.

First thing to understand is: 95 is a major trafficking point. If you look or act the part, you may be searched.

Anyone familiar with living here knows, DUI, and driving while blazed is NOT going to fly. You'll sit in county jail over the weekend, and while the judge is out fishing Monday morning.

Just don't do it.

Absolutely don't travel with any type of contraband in your car. If you have dreds, a construction truck, custom veh. or fancy rims, you might as well have a neon sign "search me!" emblazoned on the hood of your car.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:34 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,751,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stnewton09 View Post
Simple answer, if you're innocent, then you have nothing to hide. Don't whine about being searched, don't whine about your car being searched. Cooperate and do what they say and they'll be done with you quickly. Here they work seven days straight with five days off, long shifts, with a lot of BS from people like those posting in this thread. I imagine they're pretty tired by 0300 when you're driving around the same block a dozen times, which, I hate to tell you, would look pretty suspicious anyway. All of ours have at least four years of college or active military service, and because of the latter, they have more than earned respect from you and I. They are not required and often are not allowed to "be nice" to you or hold your hand. Yes, they do shoot people and don't get investigated. Reason being that if you shoot at a cop, you're gonna get shot at. Don't rob a convenience store and you won't have a problem. Not like anyone they shoot are model citizens doing something for the community anyway. Simple fact is that those of you who don't like cops don't like the fact that they will do their job (which is an honorable one, unlike your flipping burgers or selling crack). That job being to put trash in the trash. Obey the law and they won't mess with you. If you don't like the laws, then by all means, move to a beautiful place like Somalia, Iran, or the "Democratic" People's "Republic" of Korea.
So you are saying they are overworked, tired and may are hopped up on steroids and pretty much psychotic due to job stress as you describe. And you find that OK? Truth is, they are not the cream of the crop and it is such a lousy job the only ones they stay are the nut jobs. I owned a bar right near a police station and let me tell you, they are nut jobs when you are a fly on the wall observing them. You seem to forget they are public servants. We are a democracy, not a police state. The police don't rule us, this in not 1939 Germany. The problem is people like you who appease and roll over when injustice happens. What are you afraid of, why are you such an enabler?

I was once threatened because I told a guy I would and give him my name if he wanted a witness. They had knocked the guy down for no reason then dragged him by the leg. All he was doing was sitting on his bike. He was obviously maybe a homeless person and an easy target for them to kick around. I just stood there and watched and I didn't give a *****. When the cop approached me I told the cop who I was who my attorney was, Joe Varon, a name I am sure he recognized, and if I wanted to stand on the side walk I would. I showed them my I.D. when they asked and was totally polite. It was in front of a building I owned anyway. In a couple of minutes the cops took off and left the two of us standing there.

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you don't really know many cops and you are confusing the important function they serve with them having some extra ordinary personal traits, they don't. They are just people with the same character flaws you may find in many people, except they carry guns.

By the way, I read your other post where you want to know how to get a car registered and want to lie about the value to try to evade paying taxes. Not really one who should be throwing stones.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:57 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,969 times
Quote:
Don't whine about being searched, don't whine about your car being searched. Cooperate and do what they say and they'll be done with you quickly. ----They are not required and often are not allowed to "be nice" to you or hold your hand. Yes, they do shoot people and don't get investigated. ------If you don't like the laws, then by all means, move to a beautiful place like Somalia, Iran, or the "Democratic" People's "Republic" of Korea.
I said I wasnt going to add to this but this is too funny to let go.

I dont think the OP will see the irony in his own post.

Hint : All the stuff you think is OK here, is exactly how
they do it in "a beautiful place like Somalia, Iran, or the "Democratic" People's "Republic" of Korea."
you're welcome

Old 12-09-2009, 08:48 AM

57 posts, read 848,155 times
90% of the time, citizens come in contact with the police on a negative aspect.

-They are pulled over for a traffic infraction. Guilty of the infraction or not, you will hear excuse after excuse. You will then here the complainants that they should be out catching rapists and murders, but instead pulling people over for speeding.

-Respond to your residence or vehicle being burglarized. Find out the victim failed to lock their doors, or left their windows open. Victim's have no serial numbers for the stolen items, house is dusty which prevents latents being lifted. They expect us to call CSI out and spend 10 hours processing the scene. They expect what they see on TV. In reality, there is a slim chance that the suspects will be caught, and budget restraints prevents crime scene tects from coming out. This leaves a bad taste in the citizens mouth about police, feeling they didn't do enough. When in reality, the officers hands are tied.

There is no excuse for an officer to be unprofessional and rude. Just because you see officers getting into trouble on the news doesn't mean it is all a bunch of bad apples. We are held to a higher standard, and expect to be model citizens. News stations aren't always accurate, and are a business. They will put on what will draw attention. Accountants, auto mechanics, and nurses don't make the news when they are arrested. If anything, it can be seen as a good thing if an officer is punished for his wrong doing. Agencies are policing their own, which is a good thing.

Law enforcement has changed over the last 15-20 years. Officers receive better training, and often times are required to meet an education requirement. I am not only a law enforcement officer, but a social work, taxi cab driver, mentor, role model, and father. Like I said before, there are bad apples everywhere. You just hear about cops more often.

In all reality, officers have to be a little cocky and have a swagger in order to make it out on the streets. You can't be timid and calm if you are working inner city projects, or else you will find yourself in danger! Officers have bad days, just like everyone else. We can use your support all the time, and love to meet citizens who appreciate our work!

Old 12-11-2009, 02:31 PM

564 posts, read 1,880,498 times
Quote:

Following your advice will turn us into those countries, which are unpleasant because the citizens have no rights. Our Constitution takes precedence over a police officers hours, tiredness, or inconvenience. When the police were "peace officers" and thought of themselves as such America was a better place. We tsk tsk when our soldiers have crappy and restrictives ROE's in Afghanistan and Iraq and expect them to be professional enough to abide by them, but we want to give the state and it's civilian police carte blanche over us? Really? If we had followed your advice we'd still be a British colony.

I generally get along really well with LEOs and hang out with some, but they are the minority and express general disgust at many on their forces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: