Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 01:54 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
What about if you have alot of frozen food in the car from grocery shopping, or, you are on your way home because a loved one fell ill , etc... ???
They'll say "well you should have though about that before breaking the traffic law".

Cops have heard every excuse in the book, and the only one they listen to is a medical emergency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 02:12 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,774,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
They'll say "well you should have though about that before breaking the traffic law".

Cops have heard every excuse in the book, and the only one they listen to is a medical emergency.
Thats what i was saying...if you have a loved one who has a medical emergency then they should take up your traffic infraction at a latter time.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:33 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,752,136 times
Quote:
Appearances matter ; Cops have profiles they have to work off of . Its not to say all long haired Men in pony tails are undesirables in society but at 1 a.m. someone like that might set off a yellow flag in the mind of an LEO . His comment to you, however, was uncalled for ... and sooner or later hes going to get into trouble for being prejudiced . Isnt it kind of dangerous for you to have hair that long ... have you ever caught it something moving and gotton hurt ? To each his own...just so long as you stay on the correct side of the Law. I find things go much better if one does.
I have a machine shop and I do keep My hair up when I am around lathes and such. Never caught it in anything but sometimes my wife has rolls over on it and wakes me up with a jolt. I get profiled all the time. I had a homeless guy not long ago when I was going for a walk come over to me and tell me there were some cops at the end of the block. I guess he thought I was also homeless and he was warning me.

I am often dirty if I am working and usually ware throw away garage sale clothes much of the time. If I go in public, maybe to Wallgreens or something I notice people stay away from me I look dangerous or scary I guess. My wife calls it "Shame exercises". Like someone standing on a corner and singing as therapy. Most people need the Rolex watch or something to make them feel good about themselves, I don't.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:41 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,817 times
Quote:
Thats what i was saying...if you have a loved one who has a medical emergency then they should take up your traffic infraction at a latter time.
Well...I don't think the part about frozen food would fly as an excuse.

Most cops will let you go for a bona fide medical emergency, it really depends on the seriousness. But it better be the truth, because if you lie it can be a felony.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:42 AM

57 posts, read 848,176 times
As a law enforcement officer, one does not understand the procedures and the reasons until you become an officer, or ride with one a few times.

First off, the officers working the interstate along I-10 & I-75 are working traffic enforcement, specializing in drug interdiction. They are looking for specific indicators, signs, or reactions from drivers that may be clues that a subject is transporting drugs. An officer does not need a search warrant to search a vehicle. He can in the following scenarios:

-Consent to search: The driver or occupants of the vehicle voluntarily give permission to the officer to search. This can be revoked by the driver at any time. They must feel that they are free to leave at any time, and feel like they can leave at any time.

-Reasonable suspicion: If an officer can detect the odor of marijuana, or if it is in plain view. Also, if a certified narcotics K9 dog detects drugs in the vehicle, and indicates a positive alert. There would allow the officer to search the vehicle without a warrant.

Officers use techniques in order to search a vehicle. For whatever reason a vehicle must be towed, a vehicle inventory must be completed prior to the tow being done. This prevents vehicle owners claiming valuables were taken from the time they got out, to when the picked it up at the tow yard. This allows an officer to search the vehicle and conduct an inventory of anything that may be inside.

Lastly, a search of the vehicle post-arrest. This is a touchy subject right now due to the Supreme Court's recent decision based on Gant vs. Arizona. Case law and each circuit has their own interpretations at the moment.

While I do agree that some officers enjoy "ruffling someone's feathers", most of them have a purpose. You would be amazed at the things that you can uncover during a simple traffic stop. One may find stolen property, wanted persons, missing persons, drugs, etc. Many folks have bad licenses and no insurance on their vehicles. Getting these folks off the road prevents them from getting into crashes, ultimately costing YOU because they have no insurance.

Just remember, most officers have a tough enough job as it is, and it doesn't help when you give them a hard time. 99% of the time, if you are giving them a hard time or question them, you have something to hide, or disagree with certain criminal statutes they enforce. Just remember, some officers will write you an attitude citation. Everyone starts off equally, and you actions and behaviors steer the ship on which way the officer goes.

For many it is an inconvience, but if a good officer asks to search your vehicle, there is a reason. There might be intel that a white male in his 30's is transporting stolen flat screen tv's on I-95 in a newer model Ford Explorer. If you happened to get stopped, and match the description, there is a reason the officer asks to search. They don't just ask to search everyone's vehicles.

For a real perspective, go on a ride-a-long with an agency one night. I gurantee you will have a new persprective.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:43 AM

128 posts, read 192,798 times
Mango23 is very honest.

I live in martin county I moved here after 9 years in the service and worked for golfer named Greg Norman.

I have seen some Nazi cops but here its real bad , the cops will show up 5 at a time for a dog that got hit.

They are power crazed neo nazis on a rampage , here after 10 pm best you dont go out I dont drink at all and thank god for that.

Florida is the last of the super redneck cops state troopers and all , they think they are in a movie big city cops here are not as bad at all , small town cops will jump you as mango23 said slot are on Juice and live for that day they have a real bust here we have a ton of old people so really not much for them to do.

If you wife is good looking they think she is fair game as they can pull her over and get a phone number they have no rules .

We have one here that has the most DUI's of any cop nationwide from what I hear , he stole a drug dealers money and got a 16 year pregnent so thats why he got shifted from Vice to DUI team.

The people they dont bust are freinds its a good old boys redneck club and those people pretty much do as they please.

You could go to LA and find better morals with the police , be very careful here they are bored and have huge egos.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSch7 View Post
As a law enforcement officer, one does not understand the procedures and the reasons until you become an officer, or ride with one a few times.

First off, the officers working the interstate along I-10 & I-75 are working traffic enforcement, specializing in drug interdiction. They are looking for specific indicators, signs, or reactions from drivers that may be clues that a subject is transporting drugs. An officer does not need a search warrant to search a vehicle. He can in the following scenarios:

-Consent to search: The driver or occupants of the vehicle voluntarily give permission to the officer to search. This can be revoked by the driver at any time. They must feel that they are free to leave at any time, and feel like they can leave at any time.

-Reasonable suspicion: If an officer can detect the odor of marijuana, or if it is in plain view. Also, if a certified narcotics K9 dog detects drugs in the vehicle, and indicates a positive alert. There would allow the officer to search the vehicle without a warrant.

Officers use techniques in order to search a vehicle. For whatever reason a vehicle must be towed, a vehicle inventory must be completed prior to the tow being done. This prevents vehicle owners claiming valuables were taken from the time they got out, to when the picked it up at the tow yard. This allows an officer to search the vehicle and conduct an inventory of anything that may be inside.

Lastly, a search of the vehicle post-arrest. This is a touchy subject right now due to the Supreme Court's recent decision based on Gant vs. Arizona. Case law and each circuit has their own interpretations at the moment.

While I do agree that some officers enjoy "ruffling someone's feathers", most of them have a purpose. You would be amazed at the things that you can uncover during a simple traffic stop. One may find stolen property, wanted persons, missing persons, drugs, etc. Many folks have bad licenses and no insurance on their vehicles. Getting these folks off the road prevents them from getting into crashes, ultimately costing YOU because they have no insurance.

Just remember, most officers have a tough enough job as it is, and it doesn't help when you give them a hard time. 99% of the time, if you are giving them a hard time or question them, you have something to hide, or disagree with certain criminal statutes they enforce. Just remember, some officers will write you an attitude citation. Everyone starts off equally, and you actions and behaviors steer the ship on which way the officer goes.

For many it is an inconvience, but if a good officer asks to search your vehicle, there is a reason. There might be intel that a white male in his 30's is transporting stolen flat screen tv's on I-95 in a newer model Ford Explorer. If you happened to get stopped, and match the description, there is a reason the officer asks to search. They don't just ask to search everyone's vehicles.

For a real perspective, go on a ride-a-long with an agency one night. I gurantee you will have a new persprective.
Is a ride a long available to the general public ? What are the requirements of the passenger and how long does the ride typically last ? Id be very interested in doing this just out of curiousity . Please advise. I live in the Florida Panhandle. Thanks.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
I have a machine shop and I do keep My hair up when I am around lathes and such. Never caught it in anything but sometimes my wife has rolls over on it and wakes me up with a jolt. I get profiled all the time. I had a homeless guy not long ago when I was going for a walk come over to me and tell me there were some cops at the end of the block. I guess he thought I was also homeless and he was warning me.

I am often dirty if I am working and usually ware throw away garage sale clothes much of the time. If I go in public, maybe to Wallgreens or something I notice people stay away from me I look dangerous or scary I guess. My wife calls it "Shame exercises". Like someone standing on a corner and singing as therapy. Most people need the Rolex watch or something to make them feel good about themselves, I don't.
While im not advocating you live for the applause of people...Im wondering why you dont choose to clean yourself and your image up a tad ? At least to the point where you are more accepted in mainstream society which would have the benefit of blending in more, less hassles, and less suspicion from the Authorities ? Youve indicated that your appearance and attitude is one of rebellion (shall we say...)..., so, why not change that a little ? I think its an excuse that 'your your own person ' and all that when being more presentable in society would greatly be in your favor. Whats your wife have to say on this concept ? Again, I dont mean to be judgemental about you..but im wondering whats behind it all ? Thanks.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:00 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,752,136 times
Quote:
While im not advocating you live for the applause of people...Im wondering why you dont choose to clean yourself and your image up a tad ? At least to the point where you are more accepted in mainstream society which would have the benefit of blending in more, less hassles, and less suspicion from the Authorities ? Youve indicated that your appearance and attitude is one of rebellion (shall we say...)..., so, why not change that a little ? I think its an excuse that 'your your own person ' and all that when being more presentable in society would greatly be in your favor. Whats your wife have to say on this concept ? Again, I dont mean to be judgmental about you..but im wondering whats behind it all ? Thanks.
Don't worry about being judgmental it is just a conversation. I mentioned it because I can identify with someone who gets hassled or profiled because I don't conform to what someone else may think is acceptable. Personally, my wife likes the way I look. She has done my hair since we met in 1977. I am not a faddiest I have looked pretty much the same most of my adult life except for a brief intervention by uncle Sam. What would you consider "Clean up" to mean? If I am working I don't plan on taking a shower every-time I leave the shop. I also have to say I kind of like the intimidating look. Not because I have any intention of bullying anyone but when I am in public I don't get bothered much, panhandlers head the other way.

You know, I have never wanted to be someone else or I ever even had envy. One of my best friends who I grew up with is a billionaire. He, before he sold it, owned the largest medical billing company in the country. I don't look at him with envy for the simple reason I know what he did to get there. To be honest, I would have never worked that hard or sacrificed that much just for money. I just have always valued my time to much and regard it as the most valuable thing you are given in this world and it is not to be wasted. Of course that may have a different definition to different people.

I will never harm you , nor will I ever live my life at yours or anyone else's expensive. Having said that, I also reserve the right to live my life within what are the legal and moral bounds of our society without having to conform to someone else's, often hypocritical idea, of what is correct.

I had to come back and add this. I am a vegetarian (again not a fad have been most of my life. My wife as well) and don't drink or smoke, at all, never have. I actually get a hard time about that sometimes. I guess it makes people feel uncomfortable when they are drinking around someone who doesn't drink. I will be a family get together, my wife's that is, except for one sister mine are all dead, and someone will offer me a drink, then say "Oh thats right you don't approve of drinking". Don't approve of drinking, I owned a bar for like 10 years. They will say something like, "Don't you want a juicy burger, come on just one bite". WTF I never tell anyone how to live yet they feel they need to judge how I live. Mean time I have not been sick in years, look 10 years younger if not more then my age, I am not a fat slob or physically helpless like most of them. I can only account for it as they have inferiority complexes. Rather then asking my wife of me about nutrition or why we look like we do, it is easier to try to tear us down. I have very little respect for most peoples opinions because they usually come from something other then real reasoning. They come from their own personal conflicts and insecurities.

Last edited by mango23; 12-04-2009 at 12:16 PM..

Old 12-04-2009, 11:10 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,133,395 times
That's odd....I don't do drugs, I keep my vehicle legal and I don't drive faster than the speed limit.
I stop at stop signs and I use my turn signals. I only drink at home and I STAY home. How come I don't have worries about being pulled over? It just doesn't happen to me, ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: