Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 08:35 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,163 times

Advertisements

Tampa: 2 people + child
(803 sqf apartment)

Electric:
Winter Time: $70-85
Spring Time: $90-95
Summer Time: $130-150

Cable/Internet (1 HD box, 1 DVR box, On Demand, 20/5 mpbs):
Brighthouse: $135.00

Water and Garbage:
$15-35
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 10:03 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Hernando County 2500 sq ft pool home

Electric averages about $150 month (I keep my thermostat a little higher than most people)
Cable 4 rooms, 1 DVR, all movie channels, telephone, internet $170
Trash $34.50 every 3 months

Old 08-23-2010, 12:41 AM

153 posts, read 408,154 times
2700 sq. ft. home -
Electric
Average monthly winter - $65
Average monthly summer - $95

Water w/ sprinkler system
Average monthly winter - $15
Average monthly summer - $65

garbage: $75 a qtr

Phone bill/cable/internet: $135 per month

Old 08-23-2010, 07:01 AM

162 posts, read 677,385 times
Your best bet is to ask the prior owner if you can. Sometimes the utility company may be willing to give you the averages for the neighborhood if you call. That only helps if your homes are similar in size and construction. Doesn't help much in a custom built neighborhood. If all else fails, you can always contact a neighbor. But I have always offered them to my buyers when I've sold my home.

As you can see the numbers here are all over the place so take everything with a grain of salt. I am in the same county as one of the previous posters with a 2500 sq ft pool home. My home is 4 years old and pretty energy efficient, factory tinted windows, radiant barrier, etc. However, I keep my thermostat at 75 in the summer and my pool (which is large) runs for 8 hours. My electric bill is averaging $260 this year. I don't have any shade near me but am on one floor which also makes a big difference.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:27 AM

8 posts, read 15,222 times
Debidibly is giving you the best advice. I've found people on these forums all over the place with their expenses for what they claim to be a similarly sized house even in the same county, particularly for electric and property insurance. Extremely inconsistent - and even for homes that are of similar age and quality. There are a great deal of factors. A lot of people down here keep their homes like dungeons, blinds drawn until dusk, 80+ degrees with the A/C on. It depends how you want to live.

Ask the previous owner if you can, the neighbors, and then the utility companies themselves. I've certainly had them tell me what an average expense is for my neighborhood. It wouldn't work where I currently reside but it did when I was in a cookie cutter home elsewhere.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:41 AM

252 posts, read 358,765 times
Changed my phone service to VONGAGE. Should have done that YEARS
ago., they don't add all the taxes like Bellsouth. The $9.99 plan comes to $12.
Includes ALL the calling feature, 500 outgoing mins almost anywhere (US,PR, Canada),
and unlimited incoming mins. They also have a $25 unlimited plan.
The rest is similar to everyone else except no pool so electric $210, extended basic cable and internet $150, water/sewer $53
Suggestion - definitely try to service your pool yourself as someone above posted or else keep extra for the "leaks" and repairs that don't seem to happen when you do it yourself.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:18 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Just a comment cause my monthly bills don't apply since I don't live in Fla.

Your water bills seem very high compared to up North. Anyone know the reason for that? Also, your cable bills seem high, too. Do you have the super deluxe packages or the basic 75 channel package? Here it's about 52 a month.

Actually the water bills I have seen listed on here seem cheap compared to where I live here in Brevard County. Right now I have a well, but back in 1984 we had city water. Our bills for water and sewer which is on the bill ran about $100-$120 a month for 4 people, no pool, and no watering the grass. Sewer was the most expensive part of the bill. We just got city water put in(cost about $6000) but can't get sewer hook upo so it will be interesting to see how high water bill will be at our new house.
Garbage collection is not included on the water bill like a lot of places up North. It runs about $45 quarterly. All property owners get a garbage bill even if the land is not developed because of yard waste pick up and the fact that lots are supposed to be maintained by owners even if out of state owners.

Another thing you have to consider is the deposits needed to sign up for water, electricity, etc. Many of the deposits could be in the $150 range.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:47 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
I am contributing as much as I can here.

1600 SF Pool Home, Block Home with a Florida room. Garage was converted into a bedroom.

Thermostat is set at 79 sometimes 80.

First Electric Bill $101 for 8 days. About $30 of that was a connection charge, So I figure my Electric Bill for an entire month should be about $300. Pool pump runs 8 hours a day. I'll update this once I get a full month's bill.

Water - $60

Trash - $75 every 3 months

Internet - $49 I do not have cable TV, we have a wireless network at the house and watch TV through the computer hooked up to the TV. We do have Netflix at $8.99/mo

Phones - Cell phones only $100/mo

Here is a bill you may or may not be aware of. Registering your car in Florida. $400+ For $20 - $30 more you can pick a cool license plate where the additional fee goes to supporting a specific cause.

Driver License is $59

So Monthly bills for me = $593

I expect my electric bill to be much cheaper in the winter.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:01 PM

2 posts, read 7,459 times
Can u tell me what your auto ins is, just for liability coverage as I want to compare to NJ, We have 2008 caddy deville and 2007 jeep liberty?

Looking at Boca Raton, space coast, or fort myers area.

Also, are the summers bearable? We will be on the water in one of those places.

Thanks and look forward to your response

Old 04-25-2011, 02:14 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveEnergyNow View Post
Can u tell me what your auto ins is, just for liability coverage as I want to compare to NJ, We have 2008 caddy deville and 2007 jeep liberty?

Looking at Boca Raton, space coast, or fort myers area.

Also, are the summers bearable? We will be on the water in one of those places.

Thanks and look forward to your response
Call Geico, get a free quote for Auto Insurance. I used to sell the stuff, too many variables to even give you an estimate. Make sure when you get the quote you ask for the cheapest PIP you can get. PIP is required here... which is useless if you have disability and medical insurance.

Just realized my post was an old one from August. My highest electric bill was around $280 and it was hot.

Summers are fine. We moved from Alaska and like it. Doesn't get much more opposite than that. Also, my bills are based on a family of 5 so we have a lot of laundry, showers, bath's etc. Plus someone always being home mine are probably higher than most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida