Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the law be changed to mandate helmets?
Yes 40 54.79%
No 29 39.73%
Don't care 4 5.48%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 07:32 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,196,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
There is a difference in the sensibility of wearing a seatbelt, and making it a law. I wear a seatbelt, and I taught my children to wear one, as well, because I believe, statistically, it is safer, and gives us a better chance at survival, in the case of an accident. That being said, the government has no business making a law out of wearing a seatbelt. To wear a seatbelt or not should be the decision of the individual. I don't need, nor do I want the government telling me how to take care of myself, (as I said in an earlier post). Saying that someone else has to clean up the mess doesn't set well as an argument, either. Someone is always cleaning up a mess, regardless. People are injured, or die in car accidents every day, that were wearing a seatbelt, and they have to be taken care of, the same as the one who didn't wear a belt. Motorcycle riders, as well, die, even if they have been wearing a helmet, and their "mess" will also have to be cleaned up. As usual, the government over-reaches in setting itself up as a "nanny". I don't need it, I don't want it, and it is wrong for someone else to decide that they know better, than I do, how I should take care of myself, and my family. I believe this is an "apples and oranges" argument.
Did you understand anything I wrote?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 04:26 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,623,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Did you understand anything I wrote?
I was not saying that we shouldn't wear seatbelts, or that it isn't the right and sensible thing to do. I agreed with you that wearing a seatbelt makes sense, statistically, for our safety. What I don't agree with is the nanny government telling me I have to wear one "or else"! Does the government have the right to tell us, as citizens, how to protect ourselves? As to the control factor, it may indeed help. But, there is no guarantee that, simply because one is buckled up, one has control of the vehicle. There are too many other factors in play, when one is on the road. Should we make a law outlawing everything? Accidents can be caused by any number of things. Chances are, that if someone runs into me, it's more than likely going to be because they were drinking, talking on a stupid cell phone, yelling at the kids in the back seat, eating, changing a radio station/cd, putting on makeup, reading, etc. The list is endless, and it's called negligence. Running into me, because they lost control, because they weren't wearing a seatbelt, is probably somewhere down on the list of possibilities. Not that it couldn't happen, but it certainly isn't my main worry, when I'm out on the road. I think you and I can, and do, agree that wearing a seatbelt is the smart thing to do. But, what I am simply saying is, that safety, control, and cleaning up messes aside, the government has no business telling you or me how to take care of ourselves, when it comes to things like seatbelts, bike helmets, etc. Goodness, don't you get tired of Big Brother looking over your shoulder, at your every move, wagging a finger? I know I do!

Old 04-02-2007, 04:52 AM

40 posts, read 341,685 times
Default Lmao

I think its all got nothing to do with what youre "wearing" anymore, its how you drive, other day down on the beach, one of those fancy cyclists in those skin tight short outfits went sailing about 30mph at least thru a STOP sign and almost killed everybody, he was decked out in helmet and hand gloves and all the rest, motorcycle people do the same crap, weave btwn lanes of cars like no tomorrow, if ya ask me, some people forget the laws when their own certain vehicles and think coz its not a car it dont apply to them no more, I think DMV is damn lenient when it comes to the privilege of driving these days, lol.... fines outta be way stiffer

Old 04-02-2007, 04:58 AM

Quote:
I was not saying that we shouldn't wear seatbelts, or that it isn't the right and sensible thing to do. I agreed with you that wearing a seatbelt makes sense, statistically, for our safety. What I don't agree with is the nanny government telling me I have to wear one "or else"! Does the government have the right to tell us, as citizens, how to protect ourselves? As to the control factor, it may indeed help. But, there is no guarantee that, simply because one is buckled up, one has control of the vehicle. There are too many other factors in play, when one is on the road. Should we make a law outlawing everything? Accidents can be caused by any number of things. Chances are, that if someone runs into me, it's more than likely going to be because they were drinking, talking on a stupid cell phone, yelling at the kids in the back seat, eating, changing a radio station/cd, putting on makeup, reading, etc. The list is endless, and it's called negligence. Running into me, because they lost control, because they weren't wearing a seatbelt, is probably somewhere down on the list of possibilities. Not that it couldn't happen, but it certainly isn't my main worry, when I'm out on the road. I think you and I can, and do, agree that wearing a seatbelt is the smart thing to do. But, what I am simply saying is, that safety, control, and cleaning up messes aside, the government has no business telling you or me how to take care of ourselves, when it comes to things like seatbelts, bike helmets, etc. Goodness, don't you get tired of Big Brother looking over your shoulder, at your every move, wagging a finger? I know I do!
I agree, but I feel that if the seat belt helps you keep control of the car by making sure you stay in your seat and helps protect the rest of the public it is a good thing. It is more then you give it credit for. There are thousands of fender benders everyday all over the country that turn out to be nothing because the drivers were able to just stop the cars and didn't lost complete control. The accident where I ended up in the back seat was amazing to me how that could happen as the car is just driving it's self from that point.

Pointing to other examples of bad behavior doesn't change the argument. The discussion of laws and rights always has you stepping back and forth over a line dividing different rights and trying to decide whose rights take precedent. In some cases it's obvious and in others it may be a close call. In most cities my right to shoot my guns in my back yard and let the bullets land where they may is superseded by others rights to not have to worry about me killing them with my target practice. I would call that example one of the obvious ones. The close call ones can always be debated and laws are always changing, like the helmet law has.

Last edited by macguy; 04-02-2007 at 05:12 AM..

Old 04-02-2007, 05:07 AM

40 posts, read 341,685 times
Thumbs down govt

just out of curiosity, are that many of you realizing who owns the insurance companies of America? you know, those hefty ******** who nail you on a traffic fine and limited traffic school enrollments...lol, that said, its obvious we will never have "a say" in how we get to motor around, but in most reality shows, especially the one called life, isnt it understandable if one guys not wearing one safety device and you are, wouldnt you feel a little cheated if he killed you or someone you loved ???.... figure the odds, coz you cant beat them....lol

Old 04-02-2007, 05:07 AM

Well, Macguy, I will concede that you make a good argument on the control factor. However, I still don't think the government needs to be making a law for every conceivable possibility, just to protect us from ourselves. "Course, "Pogo" may have had a point, when he said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us". But, I still prefer to make a few decisions by myself, without the government having a say!

Old 04-02-2007, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Well, Macguy, I will concede that you make a good argument on the control factor. However, I still don't think the government needs to be making a law for every conceivable possibility, just to protect us from ourselves. "Course, "Pogo" may have had a point, when he said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us". But, I still prefer to make a few decisions by myself, without the government having a say!
Every coin has two sides. Years ago when I was in the bar business I was getting tired with bureaucratic BS and wanted to live somewhere where you are left alone, fewer rules. I met a cop who had inherited 25 acres up by the Georgia border on the Florida side. He wanted $35,000 for it at the time. My wife and I drove up to take a look at it and it was as nice as he described. Had some rolling land to it and lots of trees. Some pasture and a few nice areas you could build a house, even a pond. There was also a falling down shack with utilities on the property.

Then you looked right next door and there were trailers and trash everywhere. One of the neighbors had a bunch of dogs in cages and paradise began to not look so good. That freedom comes with at a price and without guarantees. For me to have the freedom to do as I please, it requires me to grant the same rights for others to do as they please, even if it doesn't please me. This can become a real catch-22. You have to decide how much you are willing to give up to get some for yourself. You want say the right to have your art studio in you house and teach students. Would you allow your neighbor the right to have a body shop with a dozen employees in his back yard for your right? It's a slippery slope that rights thing.

Last edited by macguy; 04-02-2007 at 05:59 AM..

Old 04-02-2007, 06:26 AM

True enough, Macguy. I suppose it boils down to the saying, "My rights end, where your nose begins", right? (But, I still don't want the government sticking their nose into every aspect of my life!).

Last edited by CelticLady1; 04-02-2007 at 06:43 AM..

Old 04-02-2007, 09:43 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,516,418 times
Default govt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine State View Post
just out of curiosity, are that many of you realizing who owns the insurance companies of America? you know, those hefty ******** who nail you on a traffic fine and limited traffic school enrollments...
Please tell me??? Who owns the insurance companies? Who are "those hefty********??? This makes no sense.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:11 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,544,451 times
Default Harley owner here

1st off not all bikers are crazy.....

I wear my helmet my husband does not.

I understand the feeling you get by not wearing a helmet...it has nothing to do with looking "cool". It's a feeling of freedom.......but.......I would rather have the feeling of safety.

We do have the insurance.

Buckle up your kids.....care for their safety more than your hatred of the "dreaded government".

I would even go so far to say that adults have the choice to wear a helmet or not but require it for anyone under the age of 16.

Some parents are so concerned about "nobody can tell ME what to do" they put their children's safety at risk. That's why those laws were put into action.
If your an adult and you can make your own decisions......children don't have that option. The adults make them for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: