Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the law be changed to mandate helmets?
Yes 40 54.79%
No 29 39.73%
Don't care 4 5.48%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 10:49 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsd353 View Post
LOL.... 50k???? That wont handle the helo ride and ER visit! If you are going mandate this, why dont you mandate people with kids to have a minimum, or people who drive big trucks, anything that will pose a danger. Even if there was a minimuv amount of coverage, it would be the good, safe, responsible people that would carry it because it was the law. The other 80% would not have it, much like they dont have vehicle insurance.
What are you trying to say?

You cannot have a drivers license without proof of insurance. You think 80% of the population of Florida is driving without a license? Or is it 80% of bikers? OR are you talking about the "1%-ers," who are in their 70s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 07:10 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,189,908 times
Quote:
I seriously doubt you would be able to get insurance information or cash in advance from someone who may have just had a serious, almost fatal accident or that is in critical condition. So what do you, leave them on the road to die????
Advise all Motorcyclists that they must carry this information on them while they are riding. If they don't then "leave them on the road to die" is exactly what should be done....unless they are blocking traffic, then they shold be pushed to the shoulder of the road.

Where does it say in the US Constitution that we need to become the parents and caretakers of those who take no action to help or protect themselves when they put themselves in harm's way?

I believe in Freedom: Freedom of people to ride without a helmet; freedom of people not to have insurance; freedom of people not to take even minimal precautions to protect themselves; and freedom of people and businesses not to spend their money and resources on taking care of foolish people.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:24 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,189,908 times
Quote:
Seat belts are mandated to be worn for all front seat passengers for the entire state of Florida.
This is another garbage "nanny-state" law. When you support laws like this, what you are actually doing is shoving BIG INSURANCY COMPANY wants and wishes on the public. Yes, it was the big insurance companies that pushed for seat belt laws. It was their lobiests that solicited our legislators to pass this law. AND, it is OUR TAX DOLLARS that police departments squander to enforce laws that benefit no one other than big insurance companies.

Adults can take care of themselves and their families in the manner that they so choose. There are many reasons why children and adults should not be made to wear seatbelts in a vehicle. One (not the only) such reason is that when families are traveling on long trips it is cruel and unusual to make small children be strapped into their seat, screaming in pain, just to satisfy the insrance companies.

I violate this law. You violate this law. Everyone does or has violated this law. It is a bad law! Now, if insurance companies don't want to give insurance to people who refuse to wear seatbelts, or cover their injuries, that's their right.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:56 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,515,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinegirl View Post
What are you trying to say?

You cannot have a drivers license without proof of insurance. You think 80% of the population of Florida is driving without a license? Or is it 80% of bikers? OR are you talking about the "1%-ers," who are in their 70s?
Maybe its like that in Folrida but not where in MO. You need insurance on your car to get your tags renewed every three years. A lot of people get the insurance, get tags, cancel insurance, get their money back and screw us hard working people by hitting our new cars with their peice of crap and making our insurance go up.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,616 times
Although I'm sure riding with out one is a great feeling, its definitely a bit risky. You can be stopped at a light and have your 800lb Harley fall, and smash your head in to the ground. With a helmet on, you'd get up and feel like an idiot, with out one, you might not get up... BUT I say make your own choices, safety laws drive me nuts! If I want to be projected from my car if I hit a tree because I'm not wearing my seatbelt, that should be my choice.....

I know.. The post is about helmets... AND you don't have to wear a helmet on your bike doing 70 on I4. BUT YOU WILL GET A TICKET IF YOUR NOT WEARING YOUR SEATBELT INSIDE YOUR CAR! The no helmet law just makes the seatbelt law MORE asinine......

Old 04-01-2007, 11:33 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,157,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereTheFamI? View Post
Although I'm sure riding with out one is a great feeling, its definitely a bit risky. You can be stopped at a light and have your 800lb Harley fall, and smash your head in to the ground. With a helmet on, you'd get up and feel like an idiot, with out one, you might not get up... BUT I say make your own choices, safety laws drive me nuts! If I want to be projected from my car if I hit a tree because I'm not wearing my seatbelt, that should be my choice.....

I know.. The post is about helmets... AND you don't have to wear a helmet on your bike doing 70 on I4. BUT YOU WILL GET A TICKET IF YOUR NOT WEARING YOUR SEATBELT INSIDE YOUR CAR! The no helmet law just makes the seatbelt law MORE asinine......
Well I would sure hate to be the one sitting in a car when the biker goes through my windshield and splatters his brains right into my face, not to mention that I will be stuck with medical bills myself.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:06 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,190,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
This is another garbage "nanny-state" law. When you support laws like this, what you are actually doing is shoving BIG INSURANCY COMPANY wants and wishes on the public. Yes, it was the big insurance companies that pushed for seat belt laws. It was their lobiests that solicited our legislators to pass this law. AND, it is OUR TAX DOLLARS that police departments squander to enforce laws that benefit no one other than big insurance companies.

Adults can take care of themselves and their families in the manner that they so choose. There are many reasons why children and adults should not be made to wear seatbelts in a vehicle. One (not the only) such reason is that when families are traveling on long trips it is cruel and unusual to make small children be strapped into their seat, screaming in pain, just to satisfy the insrance companies.

I violate this law. You violate this law. Everyone does or has violated this law. It is a bad law! Now, if insurance companies don't want to give insurance to people who refuse to wear seatbelts, or cover their injuries, that's their right.
The seat belt law makes sense for many reasons, it keeps the driver in the seat and in control of the car. I spun a car out when I was about 16 and ended up in the back seat. Another time I was speeding on a dirt road and hit a bump sending me into the roof of the car almost breaking my neck and causing me to roll the car over. I was lucky because there was a canal to the one side and I went the other way into a field. The point is, seat belts add to keeping the car under control.

A simple rearender that is nothing could be a big thing if the driver loses control of the car and ends up plowing a bunch of people sitting waiting for a bus. Now that I am thinking about it, I was also hit from the driver side of the car once by a guy who ran the light. Again I went completely out of the drivers seat into the passenger seat and the car hit a palm tree. I was not going very fast so I came out OK but still have some back problems that date back to that accident. If I was wearing a seat belt it would have been nothing. I am just lucky no one else got hurt like a pedestrian.

Point is, the seat belt does not so much protect you as other innocent people. If you want to kill yourself that is your choice just go buy a gun. But please don't do it where someone has to clean up your mess, go out in the glades.

Last edited by macguy; 04-01-2007 at 12:17 PM..

Old 04-01-2007, 06:24 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
The seat belt law makes sense for many reasons...
Point is, the seat belt does not so much protect you as other innocent people. If you want to kill yourself that is your choice just go buy a gun. But please don't do it where someone has to clean up your mess, go out in the glades.
There is a difference in the sensibility of wearing a seatbelt, and making it a law. I wear a seatbelt, and I taught my children to wear one, as well, because I believe, statistically, it is safer, and gives us a better chance at survival, in the case of an accident. That being said, the government has no business making a law out of wearing a seatbelt. To wear a seatbelt or not should be the decision of the individual. I don't need, nor do I want the government telling me how to take care of myself, (as I said in an earlier post). Saying that someone else has to clean up the mess doesn't set well as an argument, either. Someone is always cleaning up a mess, regardless. People are injured, or die in car accidents every day, that were wearing a seatbelt, and they have to be taken care of, the same as the one who didn't wear a belt. Motorcycle riders, as well, die, even if they have been wearing a helmet, and their "mess" will also have to be cleaned up. As usual, the government over-reaches in setting itself up as a "nanny". I don't need it, I don't want it, and it is wrong for someone else to decide that they know better, than I do, how I should take care of myself, and my family. I believe this is an "apples and oranges" argument.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:32 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,097,975 times
Well it's also the law to buckle up yets it's still okay to have people riding in the back of a pickup truck. Maybe wear a helmet it's the law but it's okay if you don't want to.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:33 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,541 times
Seatbelts are manditory for passengers in the front seat and the back seat is if the passenger is under 14. Surprisingly it is still very legal to carry passengers in the back of a pickup truck, as many as you can fit. Even on the highway doing 75 miles an hour. up to 18 years ago you could drink a beer or even a bottle of whiskey while you were driving (as long as you were driving reasonably well).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: