Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the law be changed to mandate helmets?
Yes 40 54.79%
No 29 39.73%
Don't care 4 5.48%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 07:03 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,170,406 times

Advertisements

I couldn't vote.

My brother rides a sport bike, which he drives to the extreme, and always wears a helmet. He's 50 & has been riding since he was 15. He also helped build bikes for a friend who was into competititve sport bike racing.

Most of my friends are experienced Harley riders and none of them wear helmets.

The question should be: Why is insurance not required?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 08:20 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,163,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Talo View Post
I ride. I wear a helmet 90% of the time. That is my choice. This has been a fight down here since I came down in 81'. A.B.A.T.E. was the organized group working for helmet law repeal in those days. I believe back then it stood for American Bikers Against Totalitarian Enactments. (Means something else now) Really want to save lives? Outlaw cell phone use by the driver of any moving vehicle. Please, don't talk to me about "Hands Off." At least now when I see the cell to the ear as I ride near, I know the driver is distracted and can't possibly be in full control. I get my helmeted head as far away as I can. Leave the helmet law stand. Lets really accomplish something and kill the phones. Beep-Beep the lights green! Hang up and drive.
I totally agree about the cell phones. They really do endanger lives!

Old 03-22-2007, 09:15 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,170,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I totally agree about the cell phones. They really do endanger lives!
Can we get back on topic??? It's not about cell phones. It's about HELMET laws for bikers.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:08 AM

1,247 posts, read 927,096 times
It should not be the law. You're an idiot if you ride a motorcycle with no helmet. If you die, it's your fault.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:04 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,166,072 times
Almost a 50/50 split. To everyone be safe if you ride....

Old 03-27-2007, 09:23 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,516,061 times
1). I ride, frequently. There is nothing like the wind blowing your hair around in the air on a nice day on the bike. Its a sence of freedom.

2). I am a Trauma Surgeon in an Emergency Room. You are much much more likely to die without a helmet (obviously). Having someone die in your ER or sewing someones nose back on their face is "good training" but not my idea of job security, fun or exciting. With helmets, there will still be injury. This only increases the chances. NHTSA, does not pull numbers out of their rear end. They are good solid numbers from good solid research, unlike what someone said a few posts ago.

I am always in favor of a helmet law as well as seatbelt law BECAUSE.... when the law does exist, most people wear the helmet because they dont want a ticket or they know that their insurance will not cover them without it when required. However, I ride to CO every year with some friends. There is no helmet law in effect there. I must say that from time to time, I have been known to take mine off just for pleasure. I will also say that it is because there is no law in effect. No concequences of law for this.

In Conclusion, IF there is a law, you will be less tempted to take off the hat than if the law is present. Causing, less injury. Even if one person survives a crash because of it, then it is worth it. When you see people die every single day and family / friends upset you want to reduce the cause....

thats my soap box!

Old 03-28-2007, 07:49 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,968,381 times
Ditto and amen. We ride frequently and wear helmets. We would prefer not to for the reasons you set forth below, but the good Lord only gave us one "egg," and we have to take care of it. IMHO, no one should be riding in the back end of a pick up truck. I've seen too many roll over roof crushes in my profession. Anything can happen at any time. Just for example, I saw one precious 8yo little girl crushed almost beyond recognition because she was sleeping on a mattress on the back of a pick up truck with a camper top struck from the rear on the highway, unbelted and no restraints of course, and then the 9 yo little girl who was squeezed out the side window during an on-road roll over--not seat belted of course while she was sleeping. And I could go on, and on, and on, and on. . . . . While I am a very conservative female, it took a lot for me not to go punch out the parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsd353 View Post
1). I ride, frequently. There is nothing like the wind blowing your hair around in the air on a nice day on the bike. Its a sence of freedom.

2). I am a Trauma Surgeon in an Emergency Room. You are much much more likely to die without a helmet (obviously). Having someone die in your ER or sewing someones nose back on their face is "good training" but not my idea of job security, fun or exciting. With helmets, there will still be injury. This only increases the chances. NHTSA, does not pull numbers out of their rear end. They are good solid numbers from good solid research, unlike what someone said a few posts ago.

I am always in favor of a helmet law as well as seatbelt law BECAUSE.... when the law does exist, most people wear the helmet because they dont want a ticket or they know that their insurance will not cover them without it when required. However, I ride to CO every year with some friends. There is no helmet law in effect there. I must say that from time to time, I have been known to take mine off just for pleasure. I will also say that it is because there is no law in effect. No concequences of law for this.

In Conclusion, IF there is a law, you will be less tempted to take off the hat than if the law is present. Causing, less injury. Even if one person survives a crash because of it, then it is worth it. When you see people die every single day and family / friends upset you want to reduce the cause....
thats my soap box!

Old 03-29-2007, 08:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,502 times
Default helmets

I live in England and it is compulsory to where a crash helmet. I feel safer wearing one and owe it to my family to protect myself properly. I have seen motor bikers who have lived because of a crash helmet.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:29 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,833,251 times
Thumbs up Yes!

Either they madate helmets or they mandate bikers to carry at least $50,000 of bodily injury/PIP. They cannot pass the liability of their head injuries unto the government and the hospitals.

Bikers are super crazy, they wean in and out of traffic non-stop, so yes, they need helmets!

Every Bike Week, bikers try to say car drivers need to be careful, right? Well, bikers need to be responsible and stop thinking the streets of Orlando is the Daytona Speedway and they will be fine.

Bikers also are NOT required to carry PIP and once they fall off a bike w/o a helmet, they will have traumatic brain injuries and will scam the hospital for thousands of $$ worth of unpaid bills.

Bikers, be smart and put on the helmet.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:51 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,516,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Either they madate helmets or they mandate bikers to carry at least $50,000 of bodily injury/PIP. They cannot pass the liability of their head injuries unto the government and the hospitals.

LOL.... 50k???? That wont handle the helo ride and ER visit! If you are going mandate this, why dont you mandate people with kids to have a minimum, or people who drive big trucks, anything that will pose a danger. Even if there was a minimuv amount of coverage, it would be the good, safe, responsible people that would carry it because it was the law. The other 80% would not have it, much like they dont have vehicle insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: