Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 09:01 PM

267 posts, read 1,141,564 times

Advertisements

OK, while this may not seem like a big deal to some of you, it is huge for me. Hubby was mowing the lawn today and saw a coral snake by the air conditioning unit. He looked it up and turns out it is def a coral. I have three small kids and no I am afraid to let them play outside. Yes, I know, it has probably been there for some time, but now I know and I can't get the vision of my two year old thining it's a stick and going to grab it cause it looks pretty and getting bit - out of my head. So, what do I do? Is there anyway to get it to "move out?". Can I (hubby) kill it? Do you think there are more? I'm freaking out over this and I know my FL buddies can help. Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 09:14 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,627,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemom View Post
OK, while this may not seem like a big deal to some of you, it is huge for me. Hubby was mowing the lawn today and saw a coral snake by the air conditioning unit. He looked it up and turns out it is def a coral. I have three small kids and no I am afraid to let them play outside. Yes, I know, it has probably been there for some time, but now I know and I can't get the vision of my two year old thining it's a stick and going to grab it cause it looks pretty and getting bit - out of my head. So, what do I do? Is there anyway to get it to "move out?". Can I (hubby) kill it? Do you think there are more? I'm freaking out over this and I know my FL buddies can help. Right?
You should catch it and sell it to a snake farm where they collect venom that is used to make antitoxin with. I think that is still legal as I know of no protection provided for them at this time. Seems like they were a very valuable commodity at one time but that was many years ago. I suggest that you contact a local or state wildlife agency for current rules before doing anything. It's hard for them to bite with small mouths but I still would not take any chances. We went through similiar with pygmy rattlers with a 2 year old and know where you are coming from.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:28 PM

267 posts, read 1,141,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
You should catch it and sell it to a snake farm where they collect venom that is used to make antitoxin with. I think that is still legal as I know of no protection provided for them at this time. Seems like they were a very valuable commodity at one time but that was many years ago. I suggest that you contact a local or state wildlife agency for current rules before doing anything. It's hard for them to bite with small mouths but I still would not take any chances. We went through similiar with pygmy rattlers with a 2 year old and know where you are coming from.
hmm, snake farm, huh? I'll have to look into that. How in the world would you catch a snake anyway?

Old 09-19-2008, 10:32 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,469,061 times
You can try calling your local Animal Control for a referral to a snake removal person.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:38 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,627,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemom View Post
hmm, snake farm, huh? I'll have to look into that. How in the world would you catch a snake anyway?
Animal control should have one. It's a noose thing amajig on the end of a long stick or pole so you catch from a safe distance. I've seen it done by pros. Don't go after one with a mason jar and a lid. Animal control may be your safest and best answer. I usually think of them for cats and dogs but they do handle most every sort of critter up to alligators. Anything they can't handle they call in professional trappers when there is a safety threat.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:33 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,654,320 times
Walk up to it and grab it behind the head and then grab the tail.
Corals are not that fast.
You can take my word on it.
I did 3 days in intensive care from a coral snake bite.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:39 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,151,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Walk up to it and grab it behind the head and then grab the tail.
Corals are not that fast.
You can take my word on it.
I did 3 days in intensive care from a coral snake bite.
lol--that last sentence doesn't sound like a good commercial for trying to catch it onself. Sounds almost like, "They's easy ter catch--I only spent three days inna hospiturl"

I agree with calling either animal control or a local reptile "farm", if you have one.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:48 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,930,733 times
My wife has a phobic fear of snakes. For years I've been using a product known as Snake Away. It's ground up mothballs. I sprinkle it around the house and in all our garden beds. If I do it regularly it seems to work.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:17 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,778,187 times
Don't tell someone to catch a snake like this, come on..... Why not run out on the highway in front of a semi? Call animal control, they will send out a trapper. I had to do this a few times at apartment complexes where I worked. Catch the snake... sheesh!!!

Old 09-20-2008, 06:42 AM

944 posts, read 3,849,465 times
http://www.jnhasty.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/machete.jpg (broken link)

I should add that I am not joking here. I asked a boss at work how she deals with snakes, she said she used to ignore them, but now that she has kids she uses a machete and hacks them up.

Last edited by Muggy; 09-20-2008 at 06:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida