Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 03:39 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times

Advertisements

The snake was in front of my front door and I have handled snakes before so this was really not an issue.

My exwife distracted me and this is when I let go of his tail and he wriiggled up and got me between the fingers.

Are all snake handlers complete idiots?
How about those that milk snakes for the antivenom?
Are you a ***MOD CUT*** that goes running away screaming when you see a snake or a bug for that matter?

I guess it really hurt your feelings that someone proved just about everything you posted was wrong information.

"If a coral snake is successful in delivering a bite to you, you will almost certainly DIE because their venom is a neuro-toxin."

Yeah those 50-60 people that get bit each year by Coral snakes are pushing up daisies.
Oh wait a minute, only 1 person has died in the last 40 years.

Try doing some real research instead of relying on wikipedia.

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 09-23-2008 at 06:13 AM.. Reason: orphaned part of deleted post-also rude name caling-warning given
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 11:20 PM

5 posts, read 26,334 times
Thumbs down Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
The snake was in front of my front door and I have handled snakes before so this was really not an issue.

My exwife distracted me and this is when I let go of his tail and he wriiggled up and got me between the fingers.

Are all snake handlers complete idiots?
How about those that milk snakes for the antivenom?
Are you a ***MOD CUT*** that goes running away screaming when you see a snake or a bug for that matter?

I guess it really hurt your feelings that someone proved just about everything you posted was wrong information.

"If a coral snake is successful in delivering a bite to you, you will almost certainly DIE because their venom is a neuro-toxin."

Yeah those 50-60 people that get bit each year by Coral snakes are pushing up daisies.
Oh wait a minute, only 1 person has died in the last 40 years.

Try doing some real research instead of relying on wikipedia.
If you had read, you would see that almost everything I said was mirrored by wikipedia. I am not a snake-handler by trade, but I would consider myself a herpetologist. And where are you getting 50-60 people bitten per year? I'm finding "fewer than 20 per year". So please, divulge your sources. I have divulged mine.

eMedicine - Snake Envenomation, Coral : Article by Robert Norris

Since I have been warned against saying anything directly offensive, I'll just say, that if one is such a poor "snake-handler" they are actually poisoned by a coral snake, perhaps they should consider working the drive-thru at McDonalds. They should obviously not be handling snakes.

Regarding whether or not I am a "***MOD CUT***", the answer is - I have handled hundreds of snakes, and never been bitten, so I don't really have an answer for you. I will say that if I suspect a snake is poisonous, I employ protective measures and I CERTAINLY do not let my wife or anyone else distract me until I have the snake secured.

As far as MinnieMom is concerned, you should take heed from the "snake-handler" and note that until 2006, there has not been a recorded fatality from a coral snake in 40 years. I didn't even finish the article to find out if the guy died. You can either be a pessimist and think that we're due, or you can be a realist and say that pragmatism, vigilance and normal human instinct are sufficient defense against a coral snakebite.

That and a terrific cat.

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 09-23-2008 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: Took out rude names

Old 09-23-2008, 03:35 AM

214 posts, read 560,206 times
Minnemom I understand you being afraid for your children about the snake or any snakes around your house, I would certainly be as well.

But to all the ruthless no good killers on here I hope you all burn in hell. I really do. For you to be so ruthless to an animal that wouldnt harm you at all unless YOU provoked or harassed it makes me sick and angry. Its not 1940 anymore, its 2008 almost 2009 there is plenty of options for ethical rodent, reptile ,bird and other animal removal.

Those snakes lived here long before you did in this swamp that is Florida. There are snakes in every state and they have just as right to be here then any of us.

People like you...scratch that.... Animal killers like you make me sick. And dont even try to justify your actions at all because the only time it makes sense to kill a snake or any other animal is only when you see it attacking one of your pets or family members or even yourself, but to kill an animal just because you dont like it , or your scared of it , is ruthless and barbaric.

Minniemom what county and city do you live in? Message Me if you like and I will find someone in the area that can remove the snake for you if you happen to see it again. For now though do like someone said and try the mothballs. Im glad you and your husband arent brutal caveman like some others on here and didnt go bash the snake to death after seeing it. Thats the normal thing to do is check the internet and try to identify it. There is animal control, and also wildlife removal experts in all counties, so again let me know the county and city your in and I will locate someone for you ,so you can call them if or when you see the snake again.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:55 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreyou40 View Post
If you had read, you would see that almost everything I said was mirrored by wikipedia. I am not a snake-handler by trade, but I would consider myself a herpetologist. And where are you getting 50-60 people bitten per year? I'm finding "fewer than 20 per year". So please, divulge your sources. I have divulged mine.

eMedicine - Snake Envenomation, Coral : Article by Robert Norris

Since I have been warned against saying anything directly offensive, I'll just say, that if one is such a poor "snake-handler" they are actually poisoned by a coral snake, perhaps they should consider working the drive-thru at McDonalds. They should obviously not be handling snakes.

Regarding whether or not I am a "***MOD CUT***", the answer is - I have handled hundreds of snakes, and never been bitten, so I don't really have an answer for you. I will say that if I suspect a snake is poisonous, I employ protective measures and I CERTAINLY do not let my wife or anyone else distract me until I have the snake secured.

As far as MinnieMom is concerned, you should take heed from the "snake-handler" and note that until 2006, there has not been a recorded fatality from a coral snake in 40 years. I didn't even finish the article to find out if the guy died. You can either be a pessimist and think that we're due, or you can be a realist and say that pragmatism, vigilance and normal human instinct are sufficient defense against a coral snakebite.

That and a terrific cat.
A couple of things and then I am done with you.

Wikipedia is not a very valid source so saying that everything you said was mirrored by wiki means nothing.

You consider yourself a herpetologist but made the statement that if you get bit by a coral you will almost certainly die. Not a very knowledgeable herpetologist I see.

As far as the bites per year, the number of bites is not really important whether it is 20 or 50 (though in the article you posted a link to they did say there were 99 reported bites in 2004).

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 09-23-2008 at 06:16 AM.. Reason: took out rude names

Old 09-23-2008, 06:21 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,533,783 times
Folks,
I insist that all posters comply with the Terms of Service or risk getting infractions......

I think we can all discuss the topic without name calling and chest thumping...the OP just asked for help.....

For your review, here is a portion of the TOS.....

Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY.

I do not want to close an informative thread because of TOS violations.....

Frank D.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:48 AM

267 posts, read 1,141,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison Winter View Post
Minnemom I understand you being afraid for your children about the snake or any snakes around your house, I would certainly be as well.

But to all the ruthless no good killers on here I hope you all burn in hell. I really do. For you to be so ruthless to an animal that wouldnt harm you at all unless YOU provoked or harassed it makes me sick and angry. Its not 1940 anymore, its 2008 almost 2009 there is plenty of options for ethical rodent, reptile ,bird and other animal removal.

Those snakes lived here long before you did in this swamp that is Florida. There are snakes in every state and they have just as right to be here then any of us.

People like you...scratch that.... Animal killers like you make me sick. And dont even try to justify your actions at all because the only time it makes sense to kill a snake or any other animal is only when you see it attacking one of your pets or family members or even yourself, but to kill an animal just because you dont like it , or your scared of it , is ruthless and barbaric.

Minniemom what county and city do you live in? Message Me if you like and I will find someone in the area that can remove the snake for you if you happen to see it again. For now though do like someone said and try the mothballs. Im glad you and your husband arent brutal caveman like some others on here and didnt go bash the snake to death after seeing it. Thats the normal thing to do is check the internet and try to identify it. There is animal control, and also wildlife removal experts in all counties, so again let me know the county and city your in and I will locate someone for you ,so you can call them if or when you see the snake again.
Thanks so much for you understanding reply. I actully did contact animal control (Hernando county by the way) and they advised me that they do not deal with snakes, but they did refer me to a nice gentleman who is a wildlife enthusiast (sp) expert, I guess. He gave me alot of info and offered to come and get the snake if I see it again and he will just relocate it.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:55 AM

464 posts, read 1,741,659 times
'But to all the ruthless no good killers on here I hope you all burn in hell. I really do. For you to be so ruthless to an animal that wouldnt harm you at all unless YOU provoked or harassed it makes me sick and angry'

REPLY: I dont believe in killing animals for sport or out of general fear either ; however, a snake will automatically use its defense system to bring harm to a person even if the persons foot is nearby. Did you know that a Rattlesnake can sense a temperature change of 1/100 th degree F. from 10' away according to Zoologists ?! Its wise to wear tall boots if you suspect any of those to be around.

'

Old 09-24-2008, 10:47 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
'But to all the ruthless no good killers on here I hope you all burn in hell. I really do. For you to be so ruthless to an animal that wouldnt harm you at all unless YOU provoked or harassed it makes me sick and angry'
Well, I guess I won't be asking you to go fishing or hunting.

Are you a vegetarian too? Just curious.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:56 AM

464 posts, read 1,741,659 times
TUNGSTEN UDDER, I didnt originally post that if you go back and check ; I quoted someone else. No, i dont believe in killing animals (hunting) for sport so as to inflate ones ego with animal heads hanging on the wall for all to go 'ewwwe and ahhhhh' . Killing only the correct amount of animals in order to survive , is permissable. Im not a Vegetarian but I think we should all be eating more salads and far less red meat ; maybe the USA wouldnt lead the way in heart disease if we did. We should all partake in caring for the Creation which has been entrusted to us ; can I sign you up for that Sir ?

Old 09-24-2008, 02:43 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,244 times
You people that have snakes in your yard are lucky. I wish I had that. I have seen 2 ringneck snakes in my 2 years here (Doral).

All my neighbors have cement back yards perhaps that is why. My yard is grass with a pond but no snakes . I would love a Scarlet king in my yard even a Coral snake .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida