Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 01:11 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
Perhaps someone makes fake Corals and Scarlet Kings that could be scattered around the yard in a neat symmetrical formation ; ill bet it would scare the real ones off. (your neighbors too)

Why would I want to scare the real ones off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 03:48 PM

464 posts, read 1,741,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
Why would I want to scare the real ones off?
You wont need the real ones any longer ; if they show up..then thats fine. Otherwise you can pretend the rubber ones are your Buddies

Old 09-25-2008, 11:37 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,922 times
The reason there may not have been a fatality in 40 years would most likey be because of availability of antivenom. I think it's pretty foolhardy to minimize the deadliness of this snake's bite. My friend was bitten a few years ago and came VERY VERY close to dying. The venom works quickly! Antivenom had to be flown in from upstate by helicopter twice in emergency flights, because he needed way more than expected. It was the largest coral on record for Pinellas Co and also thought to be one of the largest in Florida. My friend was on the news and spent a long time in ICU. The venom and reaction to the antivenom had some wild and scarey after-effects that lasted for weeks. Oh yeah, and they let him keep it... in a huge formalin filled glass container

I had a small one come up out of the manicured lawn right next to me at the condo I owned a few years back. Also had a rattler on our sidewalk once too. Right in the middle of the city...

I would agree that it's best to be careful and aware when playing outside and keep a close watch on your kids. That snake is VERY PRETTY! Could be enticing for a child to want to pick it up.

Last edited by summergal; 09-25-2008 at 11:47 PM..

Old 09-26-2008, 08:11 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal View Post
The venom and reaction to the antivenom had some wild and scarey after-effects that lasted for weeks.
Interesting story . . . I'd be interested in reading about what he went through with those after-effects if it's not too much of a pain in the butt to type out.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:48 AM

1,343 posts, read 5,169,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
Theres going to be a run on signs that state : 'No Snakes allowed on property' (available in different languages) . That should take care of em .
Shouldn't we have different signs for all the different snakes in different languages so we're pc?

Old 09-28-2008, 05:49 AM

464 posts, read 1,741,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo
Theres going to be a run on signs that state : 'No Snakes allowed on property' (available in different languages) . That should take care of em .

Shouldn't we have different signs for all the different snakes in different languages so we're pc?

Reply: Good point ; we better have them in various colors too so we arent accused of racial profiling.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 3,340 times
Default Makes me feel like an idiot

I was stationed on the island of Taiwan in the late 70s and while on guard duty I saw the cutest little red, yellow and black snake 5-6 inches long and skinny as a pencil, crawling through what we called a binjo ditch next to where I was sitting. It was red, yellow and black/brown. Well after it nudged my boot a few times and didn't bite I figured it was safe to pick up. I had a plastic sleeve where I kept my orders so I let it slither on up.

I was simply fascinated by the cute little critter and eventually it was in my hand, on my leg, on my shoulder, sitting on the warm cement next to me. Well at the end of my shift I went to put that little buddy back in the ditch. Thats when my superior told me "on-no" you have to turn it in to the base vet. After a few words about releasing in wild or at vets I agreed. In fact the 5-6 airmen who were with me refused to sit in the back with me, even though they had seen me with this little guy all day. Did they know something?

Well when I got to the vets, he told me why, I had been playing with a Coral snake. Had it gnawed or nibbled on me, chances are I would no longer exist, because at that base at that time they had no anti-venoms. Then he said it probably wouldn't have mattered anyway, because I wouldn't have made it off post to the infirmary quick enough the toxins are so potent.

However, since then I have found that Coral snakes (indiginous to oceans settings) look like Scarlet King Snakes or milk snakes.

A rhyme about the order of the colored stripes helps you tell them apart, but don’t get too close! Rhyme: Red and yellow kills a fellow. Red and black is safe for Jack. Coral snakes [venomous] have red and yellow touching; scarlet king snakes [non-venomous] have red and black.

Now although this works to tell difference between Coral and King, you should not assume that if you see just any snake with red and black touching that is a king snake.

Except that King snakes are found in the east to east-midwest from Florida up. Likely found bedding in long pine needles, so if you live near a wooded area, it is more likely you have a little king snake. They are non-poisonous and like to nibble on rodents and frogs I believe.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:46 PM

142 posts, read 481,609 times
quite a few posters have mentioned cats....are the cats immune to venom? or just really fast? seriously?

Old 03-04-2009, 11:15 PM

314 posts, read 1,182,471 times
Many cats (not all) really are that fast! And no, they're not immune to venom.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:06 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
If I were going to handle this snake I would use think leather gloves and do it ona cold morning. the snake will be very slow if its cold. Corals do not have fangs and as such I don't think they can penetrate leather gloves... I would exercise extreme care as they are very poisonous. Im not one to advocate killing it but moving it to a location safer for you and ut is a good idea. I hear they like wooded areas with brush on the ground. I would be careful removing leaves and such as if there are others that is a prime place for them. My uncle had a friend that was a big guy and believed sucha little snake couldnt hurt him. he died.
So be careful and remember they are pretty fragile so don't overhandle them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida