Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city will become the next "hotspot" in FL development
Ocala 14 56.00%
Daytona Beach 3 12.00%
Port St Lucie 4 16.00%
St Augustine 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 09:24 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,997,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I’d have to say PSL. It’s commutable to South FL but without the high prices.
I would have to agree but it seems PSL has been stalled by growth in some areas I cannot comprehend as "better" such as Loxahatchee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2024, 11:40 AM

3,447 posts, read 2,426,800 times
I hope people don't flood St. Augustine. That'd be a real shame. I hope no one floods any area of Florida. Just because there's room doesn't mean it has to be filled with housing and strip-malls and car dealerships.

Old 04-27-2024, 11:54 AM

21,634 posts, read 31,237,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would have to agree but it seems PSL has been stalled by growth in some areas I cannot comprehend as "better" such as Loxahatchee.
True - a lot of people like the extra land you find in Lox and the acreage. Personally, it’s a bit too far out and away from the water. I drove up to PSL a few weeks ago and was shocked at the morning traffic coming south. Then, when you exit, the development seems rapid.

I don’t know enough about Ocala to compare though.

Old 04-27-2024, 01:04 PM

17,351 posts, read 22,090,465 times
Quote:
I’d have to say PSL. It’s commutable to South FL but without the high prices.
ehhh PSL has an image problem (Port St Loser) and is being filled with people who can't afford to live in S. Florida.

A guy that worked for me moved up there, bought a 4/2 CBS house for 280K BUT has to commute 10-12 hours a week which is 500+ hours a year of unpaid time and he has to pay for the expense of doing it.

So after 10 years of commuting he has wasted 5,000+ hours and spent thousands doing it. What did you really save? If you got a 10 hour 2nd job a week and stayed living south I'd bet you would come out ahead!

I had a neighbor move up there to a 55+ community. They aren't staying, said it just isn't them and they don't like PSL

Old 04-27-2024, 01:34 PM

21,634 posts, read 31,237,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
ehhh PSL has an image problem (Port St Loser) and is being filled with people who can't afford to live in S. Florida.

A guy that worked for me moved up there, bought a 4/2 CBS house for 280K BUT has to commute 10-12 hours a week which is 500+ hours a year of unpaid time and he has to pay for the expense of doing it.

So after 10 years of commuting he has wasted 5,000+ hours and spent thousands doing it. What did you really save? If you got a 10 hour 2nd job a week and stayed living south I'd bet you would come out ahead!

I had a neighbor move up there to a 55+ community. They aren't staying, said it just isn't them and they don't like PSL
I’m not saying PSL is a great place to live. I’m saying it’s booming, show statistics.

Old 04-27-2024, 03:25 PM

25,812 posts, read 12,859,717 times
Quote:
True - a lot of people like the extra land you find in Lox and the acreage. Personally, it’s a bit too far out and away from the water. I drove up to PSL a few weeks ago and was shocked at the morning traffic coming south. Then, when you exit, the development seems rapid.

I don’t know enough about Ocala to compare though.
I drive through Ocala 2x/yr, & my Dad lived in PSL until recently.

Ocala doesnt have anywhere near the development PSL has, unless you include the Villages as being part of Ocala....which is a stretch.

~50% of New York City residents plan to move over the next 5 yrs...that is 4M people, & a lot of them will wind up in FLA.

FLA's next boom city? ALL of the above.

Old 04-27-2024, 03:44 PM

8,074 posts, read 4,752,350 times
I hope that if PSL continues to add residential, it will try to renew its core areas rather than trying to expand south and north. I understand the need to grow and expand, but just because St. Lucie County embraces unfettered growth doesn't mean its neighbors (esp. Martin County) want it.

The city is conspicuously minus an actual "city" (that is, a core area one might call a "downtown"). But then, Port St. Lucie is also minus an actual port, so maybe I'm over-thinking it.

Old 04-28-2024, 05:18 AM

25,812 posts, read 12,859,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I hope that if PSL continues to add residential, it will try to renew its core areas rather than trying to expand south and north. I understand the need to grow and expand, but just because St. Lucie County embraces unfettered growth doesn't mean its neighbors (esp. Martin County) want it.

The city is conspicuously minus an actual "city" (that is, a core area one might call a "downtown"). But then, Port St. Lucie is also minus an actual port, so maybe I'm over-thinking it.
I never saw PSL as having anything special outside of lots of cheap homes and golf courses. Access to I-95 is a plus, but no beach of its own, & no town center. I don't see that area becoming the next boom city.

Old 04-28-2024, 07:58 AM

496 posts, read 522,444 times
Cocoa & Cocoa Beach. Orlando's closest beach. Low cost Atlantic beach compared to other cities on the east coast. SE development will continue to creep northward, Orlando will continue to growth, Cocoa & Cocoa Beach are the benefactors.

Old 04-28-2024, 12:30 PM

3,150 posts, read 2,263,615 times
North Port without question. They have a well thought out growth plan and plenty of undeveloped land to accomplish it. It’s still small enough to attract families looking to move to Florida but has the zoning and land already available for major commercial development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida