Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 07:39 PM

18 posts, read 15,804 times

Advertisements

If you live in Florida, chances are you've heard the phrase "The more north you go the more south it gets." However, about what part of the state is where you truly start to see southern culture? The panhandle and north florida are unequivocally southern, however peninsular Florida starts to get a bit iffy.I would put the line above the Orlando/Space Coast area, and I believe the south "starts" just north of Daytona. You see a pronounce rise in frequency of southern accents and cultural elements north of this area. In terms of the west coast, I would put the line at Pasco county. Of course, there are outliers of Southern culture south of this line, Like the Florida Heartland. Where would you put the dividing line between yankee/transplant Florida and Southern Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2024, 08:25 PM

17,304 posts, read 15,498,182 times
North of I4.

Old 04-09-2024, 10:02 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,321,467 times
That’s difficult to answer. On the east coast, North of Flagler County and north of Pasco on the west. However, a lot of inland locations are still southern further south. Osteen, FL is one example, Winter Haven is a larger one. Rural or ruralish areas throughout will have some southern characteristics to them so it’s not easy to just draw a line across the state anywhere.

Old 04-10-2024, 07:25 AM

3,462 posts, read 2,448,709 times
It begins and ends in the minds of people who don't truly understand that their side lost the Civil War.

Geographically - in my opinion, the South begins somewhere in the middle of Mexico. To Canadians, the South is at their southern border.

With regards to Florida specifically, the "south" doesn't have a specific borderline. It's in clusters, mostly defined by my first statement.

Old 04-10-2024, 12:15 PM

500 posts, read 526,758 times
Lake County.

Old 04-10-2024, 01:39 PM

13,683 posts, read 7,996,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaterorlandomiami1734 View Post
However, about what part of the state is where you truly start to see southern culture?
Could you provide examples of what you would consider "southern culture"?

Florida, which is itself a part of the Southern US, has its own culture. Floridian culture could be said to be a subset of the more generalized culture of the Southern US.

So again, I'd like to hear some specifics of what you have in mind.

Old 04-10-2024, 05:59 PM

18 posts, read 15,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Could you provide examples of what you would consider "southern culture"?

Florida, which is itself a part of the Southern US, has its own culture. Floridian culture could be said to be a subset of the more generalized culture of the Southern US.

So again, I'd like to hear some specifics of what you have in mind.
Basically stereotypical deep south american culture, such as the accent and cultural values present in southern states that much of Florida lacks. Southern culture is pretty hard to define, but Id say social conservatism, higher than average religiosity, accent, cuisine, etc. Much of Florida doesn't fit into this label, as native Floridians have been largely outnumbered by northern/international transplants. As a rule of thumb, North Florida would fit my definition of "southern", while central and south florida would not.

Old 04-10-2024, 07:06 PM

21,657 posts, read 31,284,695 times
I would have to agree with the poster who said I-4 and up.

Old 04-10-2024, 09:16 PM

3,066 posts, read 2,054,231 times
I grew up and lived in Florida many decades and traveled all over the state. The "south" is much more visible in central Florida, away from the coasts, and also in northern Florida all over. The smaller the town is the more conservative it will be. Count the number of churches per population, that's an easy way to tell.

Old 04-11-2024, 06:24 AM

17,304 posts, read 15,498,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
It begins and ends in the minds of people who don't truly understand that their side lost the Civil War.
What in the world does this have to do with the topic of this thread? Who are you referring to? Southerners?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida