Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 07:16 AM

13,757 posts, read 8,062,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaterorlandomiami1734 View Post
Basically stereotypical deep south american culture, such as the accent and cultural values present in southern states that much of Florida lacks. Southern culture is pretty hard to define, but Id say social conservatism, higher than average religiosity, accent, cuisine, etc. Much of Florida doesn't fit into this label, as native Floridians have been largely outnumbered by northern/international transplants. As a rule of thumb, North Florida would fit my definition of "southern", while central and south florida would not.
Thanks for clarifying.

I'd say most of inland Florida away from the coasts and larger metro areas pretty much fits these criteria.

But Florida, even the parts most would consider "southern" by your criteria, is still its own animal. Florida is unique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2024, 07:17 AM

5,843 posts, read 3,261,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
North of I4.

I agree.

Old 04-11-2024, 12:55 PM

511 posts, read 525,102 times
attached is a map of florida. The red counties are the ones I consider southern, the blue counties are the ones that I would not consider southern.

Some of the counties colored Red will have parts that many would consider not southern, and vice versa.

but each county colored red, will have large geographic swaths of the county that have a southern feel. That being said the majority of the population may have a yankee accent - Hernando County is a good example of that.
Attached Thumbnails
Where Does the South Begin?-fl-map-counties-souther.png  

Old 04-11-2024, 02:06 PM

17,511 posts, read 15,634,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRebel View Post
attached is a map of florida. The red counties are the ones I consider southern, the blue counties are the ones that I would not consider southern.

Some of the counties colored Red will have parts that many would consider not southern, and vice versa.

but each county colored red, will have large geographic swaths of the county that have a southern feel. That being said the majority of the population may have a yankee accent - Hernando County is a good example of that.
Where did you find this? This is pretty spot-on.

Old 04-11-2024, 02:10 PM

511 posts, read 525,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Where did you find this? This is pretty spot-on.
thank you
i made it from my experiences of growing up and living in the state my whole life

Old 04-11-2024, 02:38 PM

18 posts, read 17,546 times
Quote:

That is a very good map!
Perhaps the only adjustment I would make is put Brevard and Volusia counties in the "blue" category.Brevard is culturally highly influenced by the space industry, and even other places like Cocoa Beach and Cape Canaveral feel more stereotypical beachy Florida than southern. Volusia, on the otherhand, is quickly becoming an extension of greater Orlando, however many rural areas still feel southern, and it is of course very well known for NASCAR, which is pretty southern. Still, I think your map does a great job at dividing southern and yankee Florida.

Old 04-11-2024, 03:51 PM

2,377 posts, read 2,352,312 times
Quote:

This is pretty good. My only disagreement is with Brevard and Volusia Counties, since the coastal portions are dominated by transplants they’re not southern. Flagler is debatable.

Old 04-11-2024, 04:06 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,188,092 times
I-4 is too neat of a delineation. Places like St Cloud, Arcadia, Labelle, Okeechobee, Sebring-Lake Placid and Clewiston all feel very much Southern.

Old 04-11-2024, 07:25 PM

17,577 posts, read 39,266,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I-4 is too neat of a delineation. Places like St Cloud, Arcadia, Labelle, Okeechobee, Sebring-Lake Placid and Clewiston all feel very much Southern.
I agree with this.

Also, I live in the Lakeland/Winter Haven area which has changed ENORMOUSLY in the last 20 years or so. It used to be much more conservative and Southern in culture/feel. Now the area has really grown with transplants from all over, and quite diverse in many ways. It retains an element of "Southern", especially in the number of churches but does not have that "deep south" culture at all.

I think this is the case with most of Florida now except for the smaller inland towns.

Old 04-11-2024, 07:31 PM

17,511 posts, read 15,634,113 times
When I said I-4, I meant that in a more general sense. Yes there are pockets of “South” south of it, mainly small inland towns, but North of I4 if where you’ll see the most noticeable cultural shift. Basically, as soon as you cross into Lake County from Seminole, the whole vibe changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida