Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 08:09 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
The fact that the richest tech guy -- Bezos -- just relocated to FL tells you all you need to know.

The guy literally saved $600 million on his planned sale of Amazon stock.

SAVED $600 million.

Unless CA gets control over its spending and taxation, I expect a lot of other companies to exit the state. The savings are huge, even for the employees making six figures or above.

If you know anything about Amazon you know that the company is adrift without him and he is seriously considering a return; everyone in Seattle wants him back desperately, and the soon-to-be-wife does not like Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 09:01 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
How exactly do you expect media companies to stay in business if they don't charge the reader to consume the content? Do you expect media companies to work for free? Do you work for free?
This is a good point.

Generally speaking, it looks like most are just going for add revenue....but it's the internet so the market will dictate.

Old 04-11-2024, 06:43 AM

491 posts, read 471,659 times
I guess Apple didn’t get the memo

Apple Inc. plans to open a roughly 45,000-square-foot office space in a Coral Gables tower, following in the footsteps of other tech giants that are setting up shop in the Miami area, Bloomberg reports.

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/n...miami-19514257

Old 04-11-2024, 07:01 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Even local papers have this subscribe crap too now. I've pretty much given up on print press as well.
https://blog.hireahelper.com/2024-st...0the%20country.

This non-subscription article doesn't speak directly to the Tech industry, but most in the Tech industry are Millennials, & they are not flocking to California at all. The Bay area is losing Millennials are a high rate.

Florida is gaining Millennials...especially Tampa and Jacksonville.

Gen Z'ers are also leaving Cali for places like Austin TX.

California is in a steep decline of brain drain, just like NYC is. Florida & Texas are crushing NY & CA for young talent.

Old 04-11-2024, 02:51 PM

626 posts, read 400,285 times
Don’t be misled, the best and the brightest tech minds are still in California…not even close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
https://blog.hireahelper.com/2024-st...0the%20country.

This non-subscription article doesn't speak directly to the Tech industry, but most in the Tech industry are Millennials, & they are not flocking to California at all. The Bay area is losing Millennials are a high rate.

Florida is gaining Millennials...especially Tampa and Jacksonville.

Gen Z'ers are also leaving Cali for places like Austin TX.

California is in a steep decline of brain drain, just like NYC is. Florida & Texas are crushing NY & CA for young talent.

Old 04-11-2024, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
Don’t be misled, the best and the brightest tech minds are still in California…not even close.
I can't wait to see how many top tech professionals Apple can mine from the likes of FSU, UM, UF, FIT and the other "shining beacons of higher TECH ed" in Fla.........where the average tech salary is a measly $103K!

Old 04-11-2024, 03:41 PM

17,133 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Right. CA and NYC are not experiencing this "brain drain" that some like to claim. I'm more familiar with NYC, but from my experience, it's the other way around.

Old 04-12-2024, 05:03 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Most of them moved to Texas. California's in decline. They're losing population, millennials, Gen Z'ers, & Congressmen. CA's envious of FL.

Thousands of Tech firms left Cali...here's a list of those who left just since 2020..some came to FLA:

https://buildremote.co/companies/com...ng-california/

Cali's $32B in debt, & has a $68B budget deficit, due to mismanagement, & economic slowdown...polar opposite of FLA:

https://www.cbsnews.com/sacramento/n...udget-deficit/

Any young Tech Bros heading back to Cali had better bring a fist full or Dollars with them, because Cali's the 2nd most costly state:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ving?region=CA

Cali's a State for the Wealthy, & the homeless. Maybe the Techies can teach the homeless to code.

Or, maybe the Tech Bros can help Newsom find the $24B the feds gave him to address homelessness:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cal...omeless-crisis

Last edited by beach43ofus; 04-12-2024 at 05:35 AM..

Old 04-12-2024, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
California's in decline.

How exactly do you figure that?

California is still the largest economy in the USA.

California still grows most of the crops consumed in the USA.

California still has the most expensive real estate in the USA.

You add all this up, and California is Number 1 in everything that counts (health of economy, agriculture and property values).

Old 04-12-2024, 09:03 AM

626 posts, read 400,285 times
Hate to admit it as I'm a Florida University product who works in tech...I make well above 103k, but fully acknowledge I could be making more elsewhere, but I also have a six figure earning spouse so it offsets my desire a bit.

Things in Florida, well South Florida at least has gotten significantly better salary wise, but making over 150k/yr as an individual contributor will still prove to be a challenge. The roles are there, but there aren't many of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I can't wait to see how many top tech professionals Apple can mine from the likes of FSU, UM, UF, FIT and the other "shining beacons of higher TECH ed" in Fla.........where the average tech salary is a measly $103K!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida