Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2024, 12:12 PM

801 posts, read 451,545 times

Advertisements

We live in a 55 plus community and they somehow run the water utility. (?)
Our water has gone out five times in the past 34 days, and each time it goes out they tell us we have to boil water for 3 days after it comes back on because it could have animal feces in it.
Some people who live in some areas of the community don't have their water go out as often as we do.
But either way, the people here don't seem to get upset about it. Maybe because most of the community doesn't have it go out as often as ours does where we live? I'm not sure.

It seems to me there should be a law that the water cannot be going out this often, and maybe the government should intercede in this case.
It is a hardship to boil water all the time or by water, as we live 20 minutes from the nearest place that sells water...

Am I wrong to think that this is a serious problem and something should be done about it?
Please let me know if you have any ideas as to what might be done about this.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2024, 12:33 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
How old is the water system? It could very well be it could be having water main breaks that would contaminate the system or breaks in the service laterals to individual houses (?) that could do the same.

A private system would not be unusual in some locations as a rquirement to approve the development.

You may find answers about regulations here:
https://www.floridahealth.gov/enviro...use-wells.html

https://www.flrules.org/gateway/Chap...?Chapter=64e-8

Old 01-27-2024, 06:22 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
What do you mean when you say the water is "going out?" Do you mean someone is intentionally shutting it off? Or do you mean there are broken pipes and the water just isn't getting to you? Or both? Or something else?

If there's a boil water notice, it's because whatever is happening, the water isn't safe for you to drink and the water company doesn't want you to die.

If there are pipes that are bad, or sink holes, or leaks, or valve failures, or anything else, I'm sure you don't want your local government to order the water company to NOT fix it and to NOT tell you to boil your water.

You totally should have potable water, but a "law" can't magickally fix whatever is causing it to not be potable.

Maybe you should find out exactly what's going on, and why, and learn what they're doing about it.

Old 01-28-2024, 08:26 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Oh the irony! There was a water main break right in my neighborhood here in Lakeland last night. The neighborhoods here are old, many historic, and a lot of it really needs to be replaced (which the city is working on).

OP, if that is your situation, there is nothing you can do, and of course there is no "law" about it. You really need to clarify what you mean by "going out."

Old 02-03-2024, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
How old is the water system? It could very well be it could be having water main breaks that would contaminate the system or breaks in the service laterals to individual houses (?) that could do the same.

A private system would not be unusual in some locations as a rquirement to approve the development.

Thanks!

Old 02-04-2024, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
What do you mean when you say the water is "going out?" Do you mean someone is intentionally shutting it off? Or do you mean there are broken pipes and the water just isn't getting to you? Or both? Or something else?

If there's a boil water notice, it's because whatever is happening, the water isn't safe for you to drink and the water company doesn't want you to die.

If there are pipes that are bad, or sink holes, or leaks, or valve failures, or anything else, I'm sure you don't want your local government to order the water company to NOT fix it and to NOT tell you to boil your water.

You totally should have potable water, but a "law" can't magickally fix whatever is causing it to not be potable.

Maybe you should find out exactly what's going on, and why, and learn what they're doing about it.
Let me clarify. The water has gone out 5 times in the last 6 weeks now, and 9 times in the past 9 months or so due to the water mains breaking because they're old.

My opinion and hope is that when a community loses water due to breaks that often, that they should be forced to begin overhauling the system, not just putting a band-aid on it time after time.

What a law could do is require a community to keep their system working reasonably well, which I don't think this is. They apparently have no intention to replace the old mains, just keep fixing it no matter how often it breaks. And yes it is old.

People are paying up to $800 a month for the rent of the land their manufactured home is on, and for amenities like pools, gym, billiards, etc.

Seems to me that when a lot of people are paying that much for rent of land, and the landlords are not providing consistent safe running water, that should be a legal problem for them.

Old 02-04-2024, 04:41 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the links. I am going to study them asap.

Old 02-04-2024, 04:52 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
Let me clarify. The water has gone out 5 times in the last 6 weeks now, and 9 times in the past 9 months or so due to the water mains breaking because they're old.

My opinion and hope is that when a community loses water due to breaks that often, that they should be forced to begin overhauling the system, not just putting a band-aid on it time after time.

What a law could do is require a community to keep their system working reasonably well, which I don't think this is. They apparently have no intention to replace the old mains, just keep fixing it no matter how often it breaks. And yes it is old.

People are paying up to $800 a month for the rent of the land their manufactured home is on, and for amenities like pools, gym, billiards, etc.

Seems to me that when a lot of people are paying that much for rent of land, and the landlords are not providing consistent safe running water, that should be a legal problem for them.
A total re-piping would be unusual, typically lines are replaced where the break occurs. Where I grew up in NWPA just replaced water mains along Main Street, they found some of the original hollow log water lines from the late 1800s.

You're correct, there probably are regulations that require a private water system to maintain a minimum level of service.

Old 02-04-2024, 06:10 PM

Quote:
A total re-piping would be unusual, typically lines are replaced where the break occurs. Where I grew up in NWPA just replaced water mains along Main Street, they found some of the original hollow log water lines from the late 1800s.

You're correct, there probably are regulations that require a private water system to maintain a minimum level of service.
I hope you are right, but I'm doubtful, here in FL. In some other states, yes.

I think this situation can be documented as not typical.
I don't see how water going off due to breaks in the water mains, and having to boil water for 3 days each time, 5 times in a month can be classified as typical or acceptable service, so therefore it requires an atypical resolution. At least that is my argument.

Thanks to this thread and another forum I know I will start with the County water authority that oversees this private community. I have a feeling nothing will get done but I will attempt to find out at least if anything CAN be done, then go from there.

Unfortunately I find most people are very apathetic and won't do anything about fixing anything, even when it affects their own lives. Weird.

I have already been ridiculed for even wanting to do something about this problem. Amazing. A guy said, basically, "If you don't like it, move!" Wow.

Old 02-04-2024, 06:27 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Yeah if this is about water mains breaking, it might not even be the community responsible for fixing it. It could be the county or state.

You absolutely need to start with the water authority, since that is the "product" being piped in that's the problem.

Also, if the landlord ends up being responsible for fixing everything, the landlord can add a fee known as an "assessment" to your property. It's a one-time payment due. There's no law, because there shouldn't be one. If the law says the landlord is financially responsible for pipes that connect county water to the property, then he could just shut down the property completely if he can't afford to pay those costs. It's his property, afterall, and he's running a business. If he can't afford to run it, it's his prerogative to shut it down. And then you'd all be homeless.

Or, he could make you pay the assessment - which would be basically - the entire cost of repairs divided by the number of tenants on the property.

Or if he was already charging an infrastructure fee built in with the rent or HOA, the money he already has would cover it.

A smart landlord of a community would build a padding of funds in for property repairs. But that doesn't guarantee that there'll be enough to cover the costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: