Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 12:41 AM

10,625 posts, read 12,175,271 times

Advertisements

I don't think I've ever seen or noticed this. That's all.

With most couples (all that I know) one person drives his/her car -- and the other person drives......you got it....his or her car.

I get the people can be "protective" of their cars, or "used to" their cars, or even -- may hate the other person's car. And if one person is 5'2" and the other is 6'3" I get that "size wise" the vehicles may not be conducive to switching off. Even though today's cars have auto settings for two people. One button pushed and your preferences are set.

And, no doubt, someone might say -- I leave my XYZ in my car, that I need everyday and I don't want to switch them out. (To which I'd answer, yes, but you'd rather take time to switch the cars out, or have that person come out just so you can get out?)

I've just wondered what the big deal is about not driving the other vehicle. I mean, in a married couple -- what belongs to one, belongs to the other. No?

I've seen couple with one drive way to the car switcheroo every day...so that the person who got home first, can leave earlier than the other. Or the person who's first in the driveway, may want to go out, and someone has to move the car that's behind. Now THAT day-to-day musical chair with cars is what would get on my nerves.

To avoid that one person takes the driveway (or garage), and the other person parks on the street. Well, you could both park off the street, if you'd just switch off cars you drive

I've always thought just take the car that's on the back, and go where you're going. But you'd think I was talking about a crime, when suggesting, just take the other car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 12:56 AM

6,469 posts, read 9,846,320 times
I usually felt that way because my now ex wife would move the seat, or change all the presets on me and it was always a pain to get things back to normal, especially the seat lol

Old 01-04-2019, 01:25 AM

11,168 posts, read 8,001,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I usually felt that way because my now ex wife would move the seat, or change all the presets on me and it was always a pain to get things back to normal, especially the seat lol
I have a key fob that when I press the unlock button the seat moves to my position, the gas and brake pedal move up to my position ( I am short, he’s tall), and even the radio switches to my pre-programmed stations. It’s fob 1. He has fob 2 and when he unlocks.. everything switches to his settings. I don’t drive his car because it’s a POS.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:39 AM

2,710 posts, read 3,395,978 times
We drive our own vehicles to work during the week, usually her car on trips and weekends depending on where we are going and what we are doing (Her~ Car.....Mine~ Truck)......she averages 4k a year on the car, so we use it on weekends to give it a run. I'm more comfortable in my truck, but also love to play with the car on the interstates

Old 01-04-2019, 04:32 AM

4,794 posts, read 10,637,477 times
We have 3 cars, two of which are 'old' cars...my wife has the newest car of the 3, a '17 X1.
She drives that car regularly, but I drive it often also.

She drives the two older cars, a 2001 X5 and a 2002 VetteVert, both manual trans, at least 50% of the time when we use one of those cars for frequent longer trips. But, she often drives one of those older cars any time she is 'in the mood' to drive one, solo...
GL, mD

Old 01-04-2019, 04:37 AM

669 posts, read 585,425 times
I don’t want to share a vehicle with my husband. I don’t have to. I buy my own cars . Always have. I have TWO btw. One is my dedicated for work van.....my “Personal” errand and grocery getter Is a Subaru. My husband does not play well with othere. If I would leave the seat adjustment for my short legs...he would bang his knees on the steering wheel...and I would hear about my indiscretion. We do not live lavishly...cars are our “luxury”. Our house will likely be bulldozed should we move. Small...old. Like me. : D

Old 01-04-2019, 04:46 AM

1,002 posts, read 923,376 times
My partner and I usually drive our own cars, unless for some reason one of us needs the utility of the other car. Mine is both more sporty and more economical - around 60mpg winter, and 80mpg summer - but low to the ground and not a soft ride. Hers is more comfortable, more upright, has a lot more cargo room - around 45mpg summer, 40mpg winter. She has the (much) longer commute, but both cars use so little fuel we don't worry about it. We've personalized our cars to be "our places".

Old 01-04-2019, 05:02 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,282,039 times
I drive my wife's car, but she doesn't drive mine.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:09 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,415,289 times
I think in most marriages, the wife gets the nicer car. Guys do this to try to keep them happy (which is sometimes a loosing battle anyways, but that's a whole different story). How it is supposed to work is "happy wife, happy life". Letting her drive the nicer car is part of that, even if it means having to play musical cars in the driveway every day to make it happen.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:20 AM

45,558 posts, read 60,822,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I drive my wife's car, but she doesn't drive mine.
Same here, she's almost too short for my F150.

When we had two cars (typically a sedan and wagon) we would switch off regularly, it would depend on who was doing what that day. The wagon was nominally "hers" while the sedan was "mine".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive