Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 12:33 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,421,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It’s a high speed railroad that slices through one of the most congested metros in the nation, Miami/Fort Lauderdale, which is full of impatient, materialistic people who think it’s all about them. Hardly a surprise here.
These latest crashes have occurred in the western parts of the Melbourne area. Hardly what I'd call congested. AND the crossings have gates. These people are literally stopped at the gates, no cars in front (or maybe ONE stopped) and decide they'd rather risk their lives by going around the gates rather than wait 5 seconds for the train to pass. These aren't 100 car freight trains moving at 5 mph. It's literally "1,2,3 DONE" and you can go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2024, 12:45 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
These latest crashes have occurred in the western parts of the Melbourne area. Hardly what I'd call congested. AND the crossings have gates. These people are literally stopped at the gates, no cars in front (or maybe ONE stopped) and decide they'd rather risk their lives by going around the gates rather than wait 5 seconds for the train to pass. These aren't 100 car freight trains moving at 5 mph. It's literally "1,2,3 DONE" and you can go.
The vast majority of crashes are south of West Palm Beach.

Old 01-23-2024, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The vast majority of crashes are south of West Palm Beach.
I know. Equally stupid regardless. Just saying, these two, within the span of just a few days, weren't in congested areas, so not even that silly excuse applies.

Old 01-23-2024, 01:45 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
I've driven drunk (not proud to say.) Driving drunk slows down reaction timing. Doesn't really make that much of an impact on choices like driving around crossing gates.
So you're saying that if we get someone 3x the legal limit with some cocaine, meth etc. in their system that they wouldn't go around the gates.....heck, nobody in Florida would...because you wouldn't if you had a few too many?

I'm going to go with the notion that booze and drugs impact people differently and depend upon the volume taken.

Old 01-23-2024, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So you're saying that if we get someone 3x the legal limit with some cocaine, meth etc. in their system that they wouldn't go around the gates.....heck, nobody in Florida would...because you wouldn't if you had a few too many?

I'm going to go with the notion that booze and drugs impact people differently and depend upon the volume taken.
Alcohol slows down your reaction timing and calms you down. Worst case, the driver would fall asleep and plow through the gates - not go around them. Cocaine and meth have the literal opposite effect... among others during binges including psychosis and delirium, and can literally turn abusers insane partially due to lack of sleep and malnourishment. You know those stories of people at the tail end of a meth binge (sometimes a full week at full throttle with literally no sleep and no food) who are found completely naked, eating a freshly-killed person? Yeah... Alcohol doesn't do that. It slowly puts you to sleep.

But sure, I could see this being the possibility of a driver high on heard drugs.

Old 01-23-2024, 03:08 PM

835 posts, read 477,892 times
Yes, it is the deadliest railroad in America from the perspective that most being killed by Brightline are of their own fault and insidious volition, whether outright stupidity (trying to beat a railroad crossing) or personal choice (suicide).

Either way, Brightline is completely innocent. It’s the unintelligence of the population of Florida majorly that is the cause here.

Brightline did everything (probably double or triple what they needed to do) to ensure the operation was safe. They are completely innocent. They knew that from the beginning they were going into a risky, problem-fraught business in which no profit was guaranteed and that there was a large chance that, in any event, that being a new business, alone, pretty much guaranteed that they would not survive to a meaningful degree, or amount to anything noteworthy.

And yet, despite all of the (negativity) above, in this post, at least, here they are, despite numerous deaths, trying to make a go of what they are attempting to create and provide the products and services to the population of Florida. And they are now just turning a consistent profit.

The population of Florida’s reaction and mindset is to do things like writing articles with clickbait titles to not only mislead the public but to earn revenue off of people being killed.

It’s outright sickening, and, if possible, I will have nothing to do with it, or have myself associated with it. At the first chance I can find an equivalent position at work and sell my house, I’m out of here, such that is so bad that I will go almost anywhere else. Mind everyone, I’m not a transplant who is now just figuring out that he doesn’t like Florida. I spent a large majority of my growing up here, over 25 years. Trying, all the while, and failing to give the state of Florida and its population the large benefit of the doubt.

I’ve had enough, and given that only a foolish man will voluntarily stay in a toxic situation, I’m out, first chance I can get. What other people choose to stay in Florida because they think it is a “paradise”, or any other view, is completely meaningless to me, and, frankly, none of my business, either.

And most vehicular deaths in transportation that are not privately owned vehicles (IE, not for commercial purposes) are seldom because of the (likely highly trained before they were even allowed to look at the controls) operator’s error.

Last edited by StarryKnight1; 01-23-2024 at 03:20 PM..

Old 01-23-2024, 05:56 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,563,075 times
Quote:
Why do people try to go around the gates?
You can’t fix stupid.

Old 01-24-2024, 08:36 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,828,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I predicted Brightline would be deadly long before construction began...as soon as I saw the proposed routes going right through the center of populated areas...duhh.

I also predicted before construction began that Brightline would lose Millions, maybe Billions, & then the gov't will bail it all out using taxpayer money...its so predictable.

There is no chance of Brightline running safely, or profitably...just forget that notion.
Brightline is in the beginning stages of building track from basically LA to Las Vegas before the 2028 Olympics.

Old 01-24-2024, 08:47 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
So thinning the herd is environmentally sound.
Yes, says Darwin.

Old 01-25-2024, 02:49 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryKnight1 View Post
Yes, it is the deadliest railroad in America from the perspective that most being killed by Brightline are of their own fault and insidious volition, whether outright stupidity (trying to beat a railroad crossing) or personal choice (suicide).

Either way, Brightline is completely innocent. It’s the unintelligence of the population of Florida majorly that is the cause here.

Brightline did everything (probably double or triple what they needed to do) to ensure the operation was safe. They are completely innocent. They knew that from the beginning they were going into a risky, problem-fraught business in which no profit was guaranteed and that there was a large chance that, in any event, that being a new business, alone, pretty much guaranteed that they would not survive to a meaningful degree, or amount to anything noteworthy.

And yet, despite all of the (negativity) above, in this post, at least, here they are, despite numerous deaths, trying to make a go of what they are attempting to create and provide the products and services to the population of Florida. And they are now just turning a consistent profit.

The population of Florida’s reaction and mindset is to do things like writing articles with clickbait titles to not only mislead the public but to earn revenue off of people being killed.

It’s outright sickening, and, if possible, I will have nothing to do with it, or have myself associated with it. At the first chance I can find an equivalent position at work and sell my house, I’m out of here, such that is so bad that I will go almost anywhere else. Mind everyone, I’m not a transplant who is now just figuring out that he doesn’t like Florida. I spent a large majority of my growing up here, over 25 years. Trying, all the while, and failing to give the state of Florida and its population the large benefit of the doubt.

I’ve had enough, and given that only a foolish man will voluntarily stay in a toxic situation, I’m out, first chance I can get. What other people choose to stay in Florida because they think it is a “paradise”, or any other view, is completely meaningless to me, and, frankly, none of my business, either.

And most vehicular deaths in transportation that are not privately owned vehicles (IE, not for commercial purposes) are seldom because of the (likely highly trained before they were even allowed to look at the controls) operator’s error.
***ding ding ding***

We have a winner.

Somehow despite a plethora of trains running between Richmond VA and Boston MA there are not the disproportionate number of incidents as there are in FL. Despite the average Brightline train consisting of less than 4 cars and waiting for the gate to open taking up all of a couple of minutes, idiot Floridians cannot wait.

Yet some may still wonder why Florida has its less than stellar reputation for intellect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida