Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Spider in my lettuce leaves
No, I would throw the all the lettuce out 5 16.13%
Yes, I would just wash it off good 22 70.97%
Take it back to Whole Foods 4 12.90%
Feed it to the dog 0 0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2023, 01:18 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times

Advertisements

Totally shocked? For Pete's sake OP, you bought your lettuce from Whole Foods! According to them, they're the first and only certified organic grocery chain in the USA! People who choose organic food need to deal with the fact that some unexpected ingredients are going to go along with it...insects.

Organic or not, there are multiple times between harvest and refrigerator an insect can meet up with fresh produce. Before and after some grocer "checks" it. According to a Scientific American publication, the average American ingests about 2 pounds of insects/insect parts off their food each year. If they buy organic, probably more than that.

As others have already pointed out, finding a live insect is an indicator your lettuce wasn't drenched in pesticides. The insect is harmless. Pesticides aren't.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-25-2023 at 01:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2023, 02:14 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
As others have said, finding a spider, is a sign that maybe the lettuce was not grown under toxic conditions, and maybe is not laced with pesticides which will undermine your health.

If you actually ingested the spider, it would not be harmful to you. Spiders are very clean, and are not vectors of disease. And any poisons they possess, would be destroyed by your digestive system. Too, if anything, the spider would be a (tiny) source of protein.

A lot of people - the sorts who were not able to assimilate the knowledge offered in Biology classes - the sorts whose families produced their first High School graduates post-WW2 - the sorts who think that boys and girls need to be exaggerated "all-boy" or "girlygirl" gender caricatures - think that acting extra-horrified about bugs, makes them fancy or ladylike or classy (or something).

Emily Post assigned such people to a caste she called 'The Nobackgrounds'. This was a caste below 'The Gildings'.

Miss Manners proffered the concept of some things' being BENEATH NOTICE. In other words, one should pay those things as little notice as possible. In this case, quickly rinsing the spider off the leaf, without making a fuss, would have been the proper response.

In Manhattan, we pay extra - a LOT extra - for flowers produced as naturally as possible [most people settle for imported flowers, whose chemical-intensive production destroys the health of displaced native peoples working in the fields and greenhouses (whose lands have been stolen by the flower producers), and then goes on to undermine the health of both Florist and Consumer].

There are occasional caterpillars and spiders, in those flowers. I've had to school two of our guards, and one of the granddaughters' tutors (all come from Lower Middle Class backgrounds), on the fact that the tiny fauna among our flora, are, if anything, status symbols. (and that carrying-on about them, is not a way to gain our admiration)

OP's spider, likewise, should be viewed as a sign of one's being able to afford better produce.

Old 11-26-2023, 10:58 AM

421 posts, read 280,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
It may not be a troll, it just may be someone that has no idea where their food comes from. Things that are grown in the ground get bugs on them. Things that are not grown in the ground, i.e. hydro-grown things, get bugs on them.

You should be washing off your lettuce carefully no matter where you bought it. Take off however many leaves you need, put them in a sink full of lukewarm water with a drop or two of Dawn in it, and scrummage around. Then rinse. THEN put them in your salad spinner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
It's completely natural and expected given how food is grown and transported. And one reason why you're supposed to wash off fresh produce before consuming/cooking. Absent there being signs of an infestation that consumed much of the plant and helped lead to rot. I'd wash and eat.

I know that lettuce grows in the ground like a lot of other vegetables, but I thought they got screened before going to the market and at the market to ensure that they are safe to eat for the public.

I always wash off all my produce but using Dawn I am not sure about plus I don't have a salad spinner. Just the thought of using Dawn turns me off.

Old 11-26-2023, 11:13 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetiredone View Post
I know that lettuce grows in the ground like a lot of other vegetables, but I thought they got screened before going to the market and at the market to ensure that they are safe to eat for the public.

I always wash off all my produce but using Dawn I am not sure about plus I don't have a salad spinner. Just the thought of using Dawn turns me off.
Don't use Dawn. Use a few drops of lemon or lime juice with water, and rinse thoroughly. You can even buy products specifically for produce (Veggie Wash is a popular one) made with citrus oils.

There are spiders at supermarkets. There are spiders in your house. There are spiders in your garage, in the trunk of your car, on the side of the step to your front door.

Once in awhile, a spider will end up in your produce. Such is the nature of things grown in nature.

Old 11-26-2023, 11:20 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Spiders and bugs are crawling all over the lettuce in the field.
Personally, I can't imagine why people eat lettuce, but if you are going to just wash it off. Lettuce has no taste; maybe the spider does.

This is in a Florida post? Do you know how many spiders and insects there are in Florida?!
We literally are "Bug Heaven" here in Florida!

Old 11-26-2023, 07:04 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Spiders and bugs are crawling all over the lettuce in the field.
Personally, I can't imagine why people eat lettuce, but if you are going to just wash it off. Lettuce has no taste; maybe the spider does.
!

IMO, different lettuce types very much have different tastes.

Old 11-26-2023, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Don't use Dawn. Use a few drops of lemon or lime juice with water, and rinse thoroughly. You can even buy products specifically for produce (Veggie Wash is a popular one) made with citrus oils.

There are spiders at supermarkets. There are spiders in your house. There are spiders in your garage, in the trunk of your car, on the side of the step to your front door.

Once in awhile, a spider will end up in your produce. Such is the nature of things grown in nature.
Oh I definitely know there are spiders in my house. I have traps all over the places since I have frequent bugs. They don't bother me really just don't want to be bit by one.

Old 11-26-2023, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
We literally are "Bug Heaven" here in Florida!

Definitely agree

Old 11-27-2023, 08:03 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetiredone View Post
Oh I definitely know there are spiders in my house. I have traps all over the places since I have frequent bugs. They don't bother me really just don't want to be bit by one.
If you have a lot of cockroaches or ants on a regular basis, then you should consider scrubbing down the entire house, and then have a professional come in to treat the home properly, not merely traps. If you have a lot of those tiny flies that come out of the drain, see about getting a plumber to check on that.

If you just have occasional days/weeks during the year when there are a few roaches or a small army of ants roaming around your kitchen counters, then yeah traps are the way to go.

Otherwise, don't try to kill the spiders if you can possibly avoid it. Instead lead them outside the house where they can serve as natural pesticides, eating the bugs and preventing them from getting into your house in the first place.

Old 11-27-2023, 08:47 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Wash carefully if it’s a one bug situation; toss if it’s multiple bugs. (There’s one brand of organic leash-walked lettuce I don’t buy anymore because of a five bug container of it.)
Not sure I'd buy lettuce that expected to be walked on a leash, organic or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: