Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 08:38 PM

9 posts, read 7,533 times

Advertisements

A question to those who left Florida, where did you all go?

I live in Live Oak and am looking into leaving Florida for good. Cost of living is creeping upwards and my home insurance is killing me financially. I now face the unfortunate reality that I can no longer live in Florida.

I have been looking into maybe making a move to the following:
Rome, GA
New Braunfels, TX
Morganstown, WV
Lexington, KY
Pittsburgh, PA

I would prefer to avoid the snow but places that have snow tend to fetch a lower cost of living. I’ve looked and it seems Texas and Georgia have a higher property tax yet lower home insurance costs. Basically I wanna know where the exodus from Florida is heading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2023, 08:58 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
In North Carolina we call them "half-backs." They go to Florida and after they realize it is not the promised land they move to the one state that is still warm enough and has lots of lakes to move around.

Cary, N. C. stands for Containment Area for Relocated Yankees. It is overflowing to the rest of the state now.

Old 09-28-2023, 05:29 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Floridians moved to:

1 GA
2 NC
3 TX
4 CA
5 NY

Mostly job related, but also retired halfbacks.

Scroll down to the 2nd map to see where they are moving to:

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/lo...t-to-know-why/

Old 09-28-2023, 06:06 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Well, Colorado is it for ME...no bugs, no FL, TX , NC, SC, GA humidity...mild winters - sure you hear a once a yr
big snow fall in some parts not others. Sunny all the time....and beauty in the mountains.
Not as dry as Ariz or NM.
We've just started using AC in the Summers for tops 5 days.

Old 09-28-2023, 07:19 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
I moved to Alabama and have been very happy here.

Live Oak is among the more inexpensive parts of Florida. I don't know that you'll be saving much if anything by moving to any of those cities on your list. Don't forget that moving itself can be quite an expense.

Everything has gone up drastically in price in recent years. I'm not sure that Florida is your problem.

Old 09-28-2023, 07:54 AM

2,331 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

Live Oak is among the more inexpensive parts of Florida. I don't know that you'll be saving much if anything by moving to any of those cities on your list. Don't forget that moving itself can be quite an expense.

Everything has gone up drastically in price in recent years. I'm not sure that Florida is your problem.
I was thinking the same. The benefit of leaving Live Oak for somewhere cheaper is going to be marginal at best.

Old 09-28-2023, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

Well I'll give you that. I am living paycheck to paycheck on $40k yearly. I am lucky to own a home but it's getting harder as time goes on. Fortunately my home is valued at $200k so I thought maybe I could cash out and move somewhere else but as you have mentioned, I'd likely not be able to afford any of the cities on my list.

I got priced out of West Palm around 5 years ago and now I'm getting priced out of Florida. How is Alabama regarding cost of living?

Old 09-28-2023, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
In North Carolina we call them "half-backs." They go to Florida and after they realize it is not the promised land they move to the one state that is still warm enough and has lots of lakes to move around.

Cary, N. C. stands for Containment Area for Relocated Yankees. It is overflowing to the rest of the state now.
Guilty as charged! Originally from Queens but have been in Florida for over 20 years now. Cary is nice, I've visited family there. Its pretty but expensive. A lot of Indians too.

Old 09-28-2023, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I was thinking the same. The benefit of leaving Live Oak for somewhere cheaper is going to be marginal at best.
West Virginia seems to be extremely affordable to me. That area between Pittsburgh and Morganstown has been where I been looking. Worried about the drugs in that area. Don't wanna get robbed by a methed up junkie.

Old 09-28-2023, 08:48 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MucizeDoktor View Post
How is Alabama regarding cost of living?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MucizeDoktor View Post
West Virginia seems to be extremely affordable to me. That area between Pittsburgh and Morganstown has been where I been looking. Worried about the drugs in that area. Don't wanna get robbed by a methed up junkie.
Alabama is cheaper than Florida; but as I said, everything has gone up a lot in a fairly short time. I just sold a house for nearly double what I paid for it in 2010.

There are still cheap areas such as rural western Pennsylvania, West Virginia, upstate New York, etc. But those areas are cheap for a reason. They are suffering from population decline and as a result have an aging population and very little economic activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida