Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2023, 05:18 PM

468 posts, read 465,572 times

Advertisements

We moved from Venice to the midwest earlier this year. We grew weary of the endless summer heat and humidity and also we weren't enamored of all the uncontrolled growth that has occurred in Venice and Sarasota county the past 4 years. 3 months of nice winter weather and no state income tax were not worth staying in coastal Florida for us. We could have afforded to stay in Venice but we decided that after many years of living there that it was best for us to move back north. I'm glad we did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2023, 06:42 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Our new neighbors here in Ecuador emigrated from Destin, FL.

Another couple left Ecuador and moved to the panhandle of FL.

I guess it evens out.

Old 09-29-2023, 08:26 PM

5,959 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
We moved from Venice to the midwest earlier this year. We grew weary of the endless summer heat and humidity and also we weren't enamored of all the uncontrolled growth that has occurred in Venice and Sarasota county the past 4 years. 3 months of nice winter weather and no state income tax were not worth staying in coastal Florida for us. We could have afforded to stay in Venice but we decided that after many years of living there that it was best for us to move back north. I'm glad we did.
I'm in Central Florida (away from the coast) and I find the weather here to be quite nice about 8 months of the year. June through September are hotter than I like. However, I wouldn't trade the nice 8 months of weather for any other climate that I'm aware of in the US. Also, I like the many activities that are available for retirees here in Central Florida. I live in a nice 55+ gated community, so I guess that has a lot to do with the activities part. Never a shortage of things to do here regardless of the season.

Old 09-30-2023, 07:50 AM

9 posts, read 7,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I really am not that eager to move up there from TX as I can't stand a lot of snow and ice. She was complaining that they don't salt the streets or plow like in PA so driver beware!
Where about in Texas? I totally with you on ice, I am scared to drive on it. It's a shame how colder states offer more bang for the buck.

Old 09-30-2023, 07:55 AM

9 posts, read 7,533 times
Quote:
The growth in SWFL is really astounding. One of my friends from NY bought a condo in Venice last year and is already looking to sell and get out. Unlike me though he has money and is probably going to buy in Raleigh. Also where in the midwest? I'd assume Chicago if money isn't an issue.

Old 09-30-2023, 08:14 AM

2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MucizeDoktor View Post
The growth in SWFL is really astounding. One of my friends from NY bought a condo in Venice last year and is already looking to sell and get out. Unlike me though he has money and is probably going to buy in Raleigh. Also where in the midwest? I'd assume Chicago if money isn't an issue.
A lot of people decided to leave after Ian...

Old 09-30-2023, 12:56 PM

468 posts, read 465,572 times
Quote:
We are in a small city in southern Indiana. Our neighbors in Venice moved to Durham NC a few months after we left and we know others who are fed up with the uncontrolled growth.. My girlfriend and I like the rural nature of where we live now. Venice used to have that small town feel but not anymore. People moving into the Venice area from congested areas don't mind living in Venice but it wasn't for us so we left. I spent 10 years in Venice and my gf was there for 20. I expect Venice will keep growing until they run out of land.

Old 09-30-2023, 09:07 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Where about in Texas? I totally with you on ice, I am scared to drive on it. It's a shame how colder states offer more bang for the buck.
The thing with places that get a lot of winter is that they develop efficient systems to handle snow and ice relatively quickly so that it’s business as usual once the snow plows and salt trucks go by. You just have to remember to wash your car regularly in winter because the salt is corrosive on vehicles.

Meanwhile in the big expensive gated community down by me, it’s rather fortunate the bored tourist with a gun was a horrible shot and the highly trained law enforcement officer who took him down was an excellent shot.

https://www.mypanhandle.com/news/loc...tiple-victims/

Old 10-01-2023, 04:56 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
I absolutely love MN! I been wanting to live here since 2009/2010 and glad I eventually took the plunge. It has everything I love minus the ocean. When I miss the ocean, I could go visit family down in Florida or in Massachusetts. (I prefer New England. It has whales!)

You mentioned tornadoes and black ice for the Midwest. Honestly, if tornadoes are that much an issue, I wouldn't consider Texas. Texas has the most tornadoes of any state. Tornadoes are just as much a thing in the Southeast as well. Its not just a Midwest thing. But... I wouldn't let tornadoes scare you off either. The odds of being directly hit by one is barely above zero. As far as black ice... prob a bigger issue down south. We are pretty good about salting the roads up here, but whenever it gets icy down in the South it becomes a mess. Black ice is terrifying but good infrastructure and good driving mitigates it.

If you choose Texas, which I enjoyed my time there btw, and I got lots of family there so we visit every year, more often than Florida, I would be more concerned over their terrible power grid than tornadoes or ice.
Yeah, and the road salt is pretty good at rusting your car into junk in less than 10 years. For that reason alone MN is a total FAIL for me. But you enjoy.

Old 10-02-2023, 01:59 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
We are in a small city in southern Indiana. Our neighbors in Venice moved to Durham NC a few months after we left and we know others who are fed up with the uncontrolled growth.. My girlfriend and I like the rural nature of where we live now. Venice used to have that small town feel but not anymore. People moving into the Venice area from congested areas don't mind living in Venice but it wasn't for us so we left. I spent 10 years in Venice and my gf was there for 20. I expect Venice will keep growing until they run out of land.
Yep. A lot of these people are used to it because they've lived in places like New York City, Boston, or Chicago for 50 plus years. They're used to heavy traffic, fast pace of life, and also used to live in high rises close together. To them traffic Southwest Florida or Tampa isn't anything new to them. I'm amazed all these tall apartments and condos that you see in places like Southwest Florida and up in Sarasota are popular for people to rent or buy.

I'm from St. Louis, Missouri and used to Missouri. I can't even imagine living in a high rise condo in a place like Naples or Sarasota. It seems like a huge pain in the arse. Park your car, then walk all the way to the elevator, then have to go to your place. Makes even a simple trip to go out to dinner, go for a walk, or run errands a real chore.

I like driving to my house, parking, getting out of my car and in my house in a couple seconds.

Like here in SWFL I see tv ads for condos being built and they're like at least a million dollars. Why if I have a million bucks why would I want to live 150 up high and not even have a yard?

With the condo fees those "luxury" high rise condos have it would be cheaper buying a house for the same price and even with that big yard you can just pay someone to mow it and maintain your pool.

North Carolina is also cheaper too I hear and where you described the weather is a bit better in the summer. Someone at my part-time job, young people moved there and likes it. Rent is much cheaper, better wages but also more stuff to do since they're younger.

I turn 40 this month, and lived in Naples from 1991 to 2002 before moving back North for 12 years and live in Punta Gorda now.

Southwest Florida was always a retirement area, but even back then there was still a number of young people in the mix. Now SWFL seems much much older overall than when I lived here before. A lot less young. Naples especially. I have family so I still go down there and it seems a lot older now. Rich old folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida