Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2023, 06:51 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Speaking of which, good luck on your move Kyle. I can see the appeal of the Midwest, it’s not a bad value.
Thank you, appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2023, 05:45 AM

25,789 posts, read 12,849,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
Baldwin County, Al - seems to check a lot of box's.

Small town country feeling next to a city with major airport by the ocean .

Touristy town south of I10, modern development north of I10.

Weather, jobs for the young, easy for retired.

Plenty of homes under 300k Plenty in the higher prices too. Nice clean area !

recently been discovered, now growing

I like Fair Hope and Gulf Shores a lot...good call.

Old 09-04-2023, 07:18 PM

1,022 posts, read 741,384 times
Fairhope is nice as the whole area including Daphne.

Spanish Fort and Malbis very good with easy access to Mobile

Old 09-05-2023, 04:57 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,349,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I would so move back to Grand Rapids if you actually saw the sun more than 15 minutes at a time between November and April. Still a reasonable cost of living and good quality of life, but I just can’t handle the gloom.

Lots of other places in the Midwest that have that kind of happy balance like Des Moines, Omaha, Columbus, Madison, etc. Omaha would actually be a pretty good place to start a career- lots of white collar jobs for a metro area that size and you can buy a nice family home with the salaries they offer.
Still too cold! What about Missouri? St. Louis quite a bit warmer than those cities. Stl more the lower midwest, bordering on upper south though. MO is the warmest midwest state, but about half of Missouri aligns with the South anyway. Climate and culturally. I'd still call it a border south today. Southern parts of MO warm, same as northern TN. Springfield MO usually thrown in with the upper parts of the sunbelt now. That area is seeing a lot of growth including Branson.

Stl and Louisville same type of weather.

I also find the culture bland in those more northern cities. MO is a lot more diverse culturally. Stl Lower midwest, even bit of east coast feel. South of there the Ozarks is upper south influence, and Southeast MO is MS Delta culture.

Old 09-07-2023, 08:14 AM

4,485 posts, read 3,859,744 times
I just spent a week in Texas and many people I met there are planning to move to Minnesota and Ohio to escape the extreme heat in the South. Florida is no longer top of mind for Texans it seems. They are very scared of the weather after this historically hot summer in Texas and across the South. It's STILL in the triple digits in Texas this week. 107 today in many places. That's normal for Arizona and Nevada but not central Texas. It was very very hot; although it's a much drier heat than Florida and you don't sweat as much as Florida (which I liked) it was way too hot and dry. Looks Mad Max apocalyptically dry out there right now. Exceptional drought conditions and rolling blackouts.

Old 09-07-2023, 08:41 AM

18,473 posts, read 8,298,361 times
it's always ”many”....never ”some”.....LOL

Old 09-07-2023, 04:48 PM

30,458 posts, read 21,298,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
it's always ”many”....never ”some”.....LOL
Keep a eye on that cane.

Old 09-07-2023, 06:28 PM

4,485 posts, read 3,859,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Keep a eye on that cane.
We need Lee to come here and get us out of this drought.

Old 09-07-2023, 08:38 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,856,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Still too cold! What about Missouri?
No more red states. No states that seem likely to be trending red. And no red areas within blue states. I’m not trading Matt Gaetz as my so-called congresscritter for Lauren Bobert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I just spent a week in Texas and many people I met there are planning to move to Minnesota and Ohio to escape the extreme heat in the South. Florida is no longer top of mind for Texans it seems. They are very scared of the weather after this historically hot summer in Texas and across the South. It's STILL in the triple digits in Texas this week. 107 today in many places. That's normal for Arizona and Nevada but not central Texas. It was very very hot; although it's a much drier heat than Florida and you don't sweat as much as Florida (which I liked) it was way too hot and dry. Looks Mad Max apocalyptically dry out there right now. Exceptional drought conditions and rolling blackouts.
The irony is that, according to my Minnesota friends, they’ve been getting hot and high dew point weather the past week or two that sounds like typical Florida or Texas summer. Minnesota and the Dakotas have a classic continental climate and can get very high summer temperatures unless you’re close enough to Lake Superior to get some of the cooling effects of the Great Lakes.

Though, unlike Texas, both Minnesota and Ohio seem to have a very stable and reliable electrical grid.

Old 09-08-2023, 04:56 AM

30,458 posts, read 21,298,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
We need Lee to come here and get us out of this drought.
There is no chance of anything helping us this year. Once that cane goes east of us it will end the rainy season that we never had anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida