Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 03:57 PM

17,541 posts, read 39,166,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I'm in /western NC right now, & its beautiful. Mountains, lush greenery, waterfalls, & the weather is A-.

I'm seeing all ages, but more 50+ 'ers than I thought I'd see.

Great temps & low humidity, but it is a temperate rain forest, so it rains about 4 days/wk during Summer, but usually off & on, & for short intervals. I'm at 2200 ft above sea level.

I've been here 5 weeks now, & only had 1 full day rain out. It was 68 degrees at 8 am...ahhh.

There's a lot of Floridians here as reverse snowbirds, & transplants. I met a guy who moved here full time from Miami 3 yrs ago with no regrets. I've met 2 ladies from Naples, 1 guy from Fernandina Beach.

I plan to return next year, and stay even longer. Either Brevard or the Southern 'burbs of Asheville. Hendersonville seemed nice too the day I was there, but it lacks a few things I want.

I think 8 months in FLA, and 4 months in Western NC make a great combination. The contrast in topography makes it interesting.

It's not cheap here unless you go rural. I got denied a 3 mo. rental (single family home) next year (I offered $18,000) just South of Asheville.
We owned a second home in Asheville back in 2005- 2008. We took vacations and thought we might even retire there. It's beautiful, but by the third year saw (for us) the shortcomings. It is definitely mostly a retirement area, and snowbird/visitor area. So, from that standpoint it is and will be booming even more, like Florida. It is ridiculously expensive now. It may have even caught up with Sarasota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2023, 08:49 AM

283 posts, read 290,561 times
It’s becoming increasingly more difficult to find “that place”. If you do find it, keep it to yourself, and don’t tell anyone. Just go, we’ll be happy for ya

Old 09-02-2023, 06:18 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,349,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Y'all might look into Jawjuh...
The uplands (North) have a mild climate, with an occasional snowfall, but not as humid as the coastal region (Savannah, etc).
The downside: much of the land is in reserves, TVA watersheds, and not available for development.
Most of the "good" jobs are in the Atlanta Metro.

"Tourist City" Helen, GA
//www.city-data.com/city/Helen-Georgia.html

Hot 'Lanta
//www.city-data.com/city/Atlanta-Georgia.html

Humid Savannah
//www.city-data.com/city/Savannah-Georgia.html
Couldn't pay me 250k a year to live anywhere near Atlanta. Traffic is horrendous, but the crime is out of control too in many areas!

Old 09-02-2023, 08:42 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,997,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Isn't Asheville a lib city though? NC becoming too moderate for me. Seems everyone from north of there like Virginia is spilling into NC. Soom they will be solid D like Virginia is!
Asheville and Boone are the liberal pockets and the rest while Red is moderate GOP, minus the MAGA extremes which is attractive apparently to Floridians of a similar cloth or as mentioned Virginians. I think centrist is a better description and even Asheville or Boone isn't "far-left in your face" like West Coast cities can tend to be, and why Asheville in particular succeeds in its appeal to a varied population that cohabitates peacefully. Yet still there are some who cannot tolerate and why East TN for instance seemingly lacks that balance.

Old 09-03-2023, 06:12 AM

25,795 posts, read 12,849,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Couldn't pay me 250k a year to live anywhere near Atlanta. Traffic is horrendous, but the crime is out of control too in many areas!
ATL has passed its prime from my perspective, so I got out after 25 yrs. there. It went from great, to nice, to okay, to get me the heck outtta here, in those 25 yrs. The Exburbs are still nice, so long as you're retired, or work from home.

Georgia's hot spots will be coastal, & mountains from 1 hr North of ATL, to the state lines.

Work-from-home, and baby boomers retiring will be the biggest megatrends of our lifetimes. This will cause a shift from big cities, to 2nd & 3rd tier cities, and to rural areas for the bottom 1/2. Rural America's still affordable.

Prices, overcrowding, & Summer heat will slow Florida's growth. I see the halfback trend growing.

Hot spots require land, so look for lots of available land nearest the coasts, or in places with natural beauty & moderate climates.

Old 09-03-2023, 01:51 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,997,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
ATL has passed its prime from my perspective, so I got out after 25 yrs. there. It went from great, to nice, to okay, to get me the heck outtta here, in those 25 yrs. The Exburbs are still nice, so long as you're retired, or work from home.

Georgia's hot spots will be coastal, & mountains from 1 hr North of ATL, to the state lines.

Work-from-home, and baby boomers retiring will be the biggest megatrends of our lifetimes. This will cause a shift from big cities, to 2nd & 3rd tier cities, and to rural areas for the bottom 1/2. Rural America's still affordable.

Prices, overcrowding, & Summer heat will slow Florida's growth. I see the halfback trend growing.

Hot spots require land, so look for lots of available land nearest the coasts, or in places with natural beauty & moderate climates.
I agree completely and feel it should have been apparent since the rent inequity issue hit FL coupled with societal change post-pandemic. FL's political shift hard right and one of the worst summers on record in terms of heat have also increased interest towards the exit doors. I would bet heavily the 2023 net migration numbers for FL fall below 1%, versus the 1.9% in 2022. Besides the typical "halfback" options in states like NC, SC, GA and TN, second and third tier cities in the Midwest and Plains are becoming attractive to many across the US looking for a manageable cost of living with job opportunities and varying amenities minus eight to nine months of blistering heat.

Old 09-03-2023, 01:57 PM

2,349 posts, read 2,302,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree completely and feel it should have been apparent since the rent inequity issue hit FL coupled with societal change post-pandemic. FL's political shift hard right and one of the worst summers on record in terms of heat have also increased interest towards the exit doors. I would bet heavily the 2023 net migration numbers for FL fall below 1%, versus the 1.9% in 2022. Besides the typical "halfback" options in states like NC, SC, GA and TN, second and third tier cities in the Midwest and Plains are becoming attractive to many across the US looking for a manageable cost of living with job opportunities and varying amenities minus eight to nine months of blistering heat.
Speaking of which, good luck on your move Kyle. I can see the appeal of the Midwest, it’s not a bad value.

Old 09-03-2023, 01:57 PM

30,459 posts, read 21,309,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
Next hot spot? Wherever it's not cold will be the general answer you get.
Just make it another state. I hope we keep getting canes and maybe run off around 20 milllion peeps.

Old 09-03-2023, 05:16 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,860,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would so move back to Grand Rapids if you actually saw the sun more than 15 minutes at a time between November and April. Still a reasonable cost of living and good quality of life, but I just can’t handle the gloom.

Lots of other places in the Midwest that have that kind of happy balance like Des Moines, Omaha, Columbus, Madison, etc. Omaha would actually be a pretty good place to start a career- lots of white collar jobs for a metro area that size and you can buy a nice family home with the salaries they offer.

Old 09-03-2023, 05:48 PM

581 posts, read 306,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
With global warming, I feel like the Great Lakes rust belt will begin to see a revival in earnest. Winter sucks but will get more mild, and summer is downright pleasant.
That’s going to take a very long time, you got a life extending machine we dont know about. Lol?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida