Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2023, 05:54 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I am going to bed fred. Another let down.
Even I'm a bit disappointed. It rained a gentle rain for a couple of hours and now there's nothing.

I did just go for a pleasant walk. It has cooled a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2023, 06:43 PM

1,869 posts, read 843,254 times
99% of the damage will be the first half mile from the beach. 99.9% of the picture will be the first half mile from the beach. everything else will be old dead trees that fall on house and gas station canopy. And there will be a lot of pictures of cars under water because they was too stupid to park on the hill

the think about florida, move 80 miles from the coast, at elevation 200 and have no big trees by the house. the only damage I ever had, we had a sear metal shed to keep the lawn mower in. we never found the shed but the mower was still on the plywood floor

Old 08-29-2023, 07:53 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
99% of the damage will be the first half mile from the beach. 99.9% of the picture will be the first half mile from the beach. everything else will be old dead trees that fall on house and gas station canopy. And there will be a lot of pictures of cars under water because they was too stupid to park on the hill

the think about florida, move 80 miles from the coast, at elevation 200 and have no big trees by the house. the only damage I ever had, we had a sear metal shed to keep the lawn mower in. we never found the shed but the mower was still on the plywood floor
I'm not familiar with the Big Bend area. But the way they are talking about 14-15 ft storm surges, if there are hills there I think that is where I would head.

Old 08-29-2023, 09:23 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
Florida. Where hurricanes go to die.

Tell that to people who lived through Michael and Ian.

Old 08-29-2023, 09:26 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
well, somehow Jim Cantore and his entire support and camera crew are going to ride the storm out on Cedar Key too....

.....guess they are all a bunch of idiots
I thought Jim was more sensible than that. It’s like he doesn’t get how isolated Cedar Key is compared to his usual beachfront stops where there’s a nice spot on the third floor of a concrete block with impact glass Hampton Inn he can retreat to if things get too risky.

Old 08-29-2023, 10:21 PM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
I am directly in the cone of the hurricane. The people up here in central north Florida are VERY concerned and we are NOT playing it down.

No one in this area has forgotten Hurricane Michael and the devastation it caused.
My sister and her husband live about 60miles SE of Perry, so a little concerned for her (and you). Hope you do okay.

Old 08-29-2023, 11:04 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,661,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post

I'm not sure where you are getting this information from. Back in 2004 when Charley hit Punta Gorda I lived in Altamonte Springs on the north side of Orlando about 150 miles from Punta Gorda. We had gusts of 100 mph with extensive damage in the area and it was not just old dead trees and gas station canopies.

When Hugo hit Charleston SC in 1989 Charlotte NC which is about 170 miles away had hurricane force winds with a lot of damage.

Idalia is moving at a pretty good clip so it appears it will not be losing intensity quickly as it moves along. Faster moving hurricanes are a double edged sword; they come and go quicker but maintain intensity longer. Current projection is that Idalia may still be of hurricane strength Wednesday evening when it gets around Savannah

Last edited by JRR; 08-30-2023 at 12:17 AM..

Old 08-29-2023, 11:58 PM
JRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I'm playing it down because the media & gov't overhypes these storms every year...like crying Wolf.

I've seen it repeatedly for 40+ years, since I came here for college at 17.

Then, when we did get hit for real with Ian, they had the path wrong, & some were unexpectedly hammered...like in Ft. Myers beach.

The path of this one has a much narrower range of spaghetti models, so its not taking any sharp turns towards land like Ian did.

This storm just became a hurricane this morning, & at 9 am it was only 85 mph at the eye....barely a Cat 1.

It is expected to intensify, but by then, it will have missed SW Florida entirely...where the population's at.

It will reach Cat 2, but it may not even reach Cat 3 before it hits a sparsely populated "big bend" area.

The eye is >200 miles offshore too...nowhere near land as it pases SW FLA. SW Florida is just getting the outer bands.

The worst risk is a Tornado.

I call them as I see them.
We'll see how your prediction holds up. Idalia is currently at 110 mph sustained which is right on the edge of a Cat 3 and is predicted to be a Cat 4 by landfall.

Old 08-30-2023, 12:05 AM
JRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
Wow. Just wow.

The "Big Bend" area may be sparsely populated by your standards, but hey, guess what? We are real people who value our lives and property.

This is a big storm, and it will have a huge impact on this area.

I'm happy for you that you will not be affected, but there are hundreds of thousands of people who will be.
I'm sorry for some of the comments about this. It is so easy for someone who is not in the direct path of the storm to make light of it. I have been through three hurricane direct hits and two sideswipes of strong tropical force winds and none of them were a joke. This looks to be a bad one for those in the path and I am hoping for the best for anyone in the area.

Old 08-30-2023, 03:18 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I'm sorry for some of the comments about this. It is so easy for someone who is not in the direct path of the storm to make light of it. I have been through three hurricane direct hits and two sideswipes of strong tropical force winds and none of them were a joke. This looks to be a bad one for those in the path and I am hoping for the best for anyone in the area.
Me too. Having been right in the direct path of two Cat 5 hurricanes ( Andrew and Ian), I feel for the poor folks directly in Idalia's path. If there's any saving grace for this monstrosity, hopefully Idalia will be a fast mover through the area so the terrible conditions will be over soon. My best to all in the Big Bend area, and I hope those who were instructed to evacuate did so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida