Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2023, 11:25 AM

18,448 posts, read 8,275,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
-one said nothing this big to hit that area since 1950.
Donna....1960....was the 10th strongest hurricane on record....and went right up the SW coast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2023, 11:28 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Ya know all I have is from the diff Weather Channels -one said nothing this big to hit that area since 1950.
So, I thought it would be like Ian, big devastation. Most of you are playing it down...OK.
I will, too. I have no more concern. Wishing western FL the best.

Not trying to play it down, just calling it as I see it. This hurricane, as one of our local meterologists (out of Ft. Myers) put it, "isn't our storm", meaning that we won't see the worst of the weather associated with the center of the storm due to its distance away from the coast here, though preparations appropriate for heavy rains and tropical storm winds ( up to 70 MPH) have been recommended and done.

I know I speak for everyone in this neck of the woods when I say we are immensely relieved that this hurricane will be passing us by and leaving only the peripheral lousy weather, that we can handle. There has been a lot of anxiety on the part of those who went through the travails of Ian last year, at the thought of another, possibly major hurricane in the area, and many have been convinced Idalia would take the track of both Ian and Charlie ( 2004) in making that sharp right turn into Lee and Charlotte county instead of its predicted landfall well north of the area. But it's not happening, and I'll take the rain and wind from the feeder bands happily if that's the alternative.

I do feel for those in the direct path of Idalia, hopefully they have made their preparations and will be safe from the winds and flooding. I can also understand the NHC and forecasters' possibly overestimating the strength of the winds and more so the storm surge potentials, considering the loss of life and limb in coastal areas of Lee county and points north courtesy of storm surges and flooding from Ian. And they will get the help they need to be made whole again after the storm goes through.

But what absolutely frosts me is the dramatization and exaggeration of events by the weather reporters, or statements ( such as your example) without qualification, explanation or even context, for pure drama and hopes that the listener will assume the worst. I know, it's done with the intention of increasing the number of viewers, and purely for entertainment, and I find it disgusting.

I appreciate your concern, but we will be just fine.

Old 08-29-2023, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
But what absolutely frosts me is the dramatization and exaggeration of events by the weather reporters,
My absolute favorite is the "sacrificial weatherman"......

...the one they always have....reporting right on the beach....telling you if you don't leave right now

you're going to die

Old 08-29-2023, 11:52 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
My absolute favorite is the "sacrificial weatherman"......

...the one they always have....reporting right on the beach....telling you if you don't leave right now

you're going to die

LOL, Yeah, what always makes me laugh is that they fancy themselves "heros" ( and probably expect the

accolades extended to military personnel, ie, "thank you for your service...." )

Speaking of which, I saw a post on our local Next Door app saying Jim Cantore was spotted in Cedar Key this morning.

Old 08-29-2023, 11:53 AM

350 posts, read 196,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
How will the power companies perform during this event? Can they keep the power on throughout?

Power outages are one by-product of this event that I'd be planning for now...especially in older parts of Tampa & St. Pete.
I guess you have a generator since you want power throughout a hurricane? Fueled with underground propane?

It's not the power company's job to "keep power on throughout", that's dangerous.

(But they are working to bury lines which will restore service quicker. Two dollars from every paying customer every month goes toward the initiative) https://www.bing.com/search?q=florid...ANAB01&PC=DCTS

Power lines and facilities are brought DOWN in storms and keeping them active is not smart. i

FPL’s system automatically switches off electricity to give the fronds time to clear the line. Once the frond is clear of power lines, FPL’s system resets itself. By switching off electricity for a few seconds, FPL prevents a full power outage.

https://www.fpl.com/content/dam/fplg...power%20outage.

That's WHY Hawaii had the deadly fires because allegedly the power company FAILED TO SHUT DOWN POWER in advance.

So ironic that the public expects extraordinary service even during HURRICANES, but you can be sure they'd REFUSE to fund major infrastructure changes even knowing that each pole costs several thousands of dollars.

Old 08-29-2023, 12:30 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
I don't think they can prevent the outages as lines and poles break i. those high winds, equipment may be flooded, etc. I understand the power companies may shut off the power before a high wind event to prevent fires from starting due to live wires falling into dry brush, grass.

But they have promised they have power company people in place, from other parts of the state and out of state, to get the power back up ASAP. I thought it was interesting that Guv. DeSantis mentioned that help during a press briefing yesterday, asking that the small municipal power companies ( ex. TECO) be willing to accept that help from the outset. I'm guessing this has been an issue in the past.

Don't know if power will go down here, but I'm filling the bathtub with water for toilet flushing in case it does. We have well water, so no power, no water.
I live in Levy County and we have a small co-op. They almost always have help from other utilities and vice versa.

We too have well water and will be filling a tub. We lose power every time the wind blows. :/ We bought a generator last month but it was damaged during shipping and we had to send it back. Super disappointing.

Old 08-29-2023, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Considering all the weather related disasters that have happened all around the country in the past year (disastrous widespread flooding, raging wildfire infernos, lethal heat waves, mudslides, and snow/ice/wind storms) and all the fatalities and property damage associated with them, a day or two of hard rain and high winds won't be so bad for 99.5% of the people in the affected areas of Florida.

As for the remaining 0.5% who will be affected..., well, they should have thought about the risk/danger of buying a place right on the ocean before they bought it. Hopefully they will retreat inland and be safe even though their dwelling may not fare so well. That's a risk you take when you buy in paradise if you don't choose wisely.
It’s not just people right on the ocean. I’ll add that my county is generally poor and so are many of the counties in the Big Bend area. This ain’t rich folk being affected this time.

Old 08-29-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
LOL, Yeah, what always makes me laugh is that they fancy themselves "heros" ( and probably expect the

accolades extended to military personnel, ie, "thank you for your service...." )

Speaking of which, I saw a post on our local Next Door app saying Jim Cantore was spotted in Cedar Key this morning.
Yes, he was reporting from there, I had to do errands and haven’t seen him on since this morning but you know it’s never good when Jim Cantore shows up in your area. Lol He had said they would decide later if they will stay or leave, but Cedar Key’s bridges will be underwater soon enough so maybe they chose to leave.

Old 08-29-2023, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
As for the remaining 0.5% who will be affected..., well, they should have thought about the risk/danger of buying a place right on the ocean before they bought it.
it's really hard to run a seafood business, or boat yard.....from Sebring

Old 08-29-2023, 12:56 PM

20,106 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Best of luck Florida! Stay safe. Looks like another round of insurance rate increases are on the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida