Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2023, 08:12 AM

25,716 posts, read 12,786,330 times

Advertisements

How will the power companies perform during this event? Can they keep the power on throughout?

Power outages are one by-product of this event that I'd be planning for now...especially in older parts of Tampa & St. Pete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2023, 08:21 AM

14,938 posts, read 12,132,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Although not a population center like South Florida, the Big Bend area is one of the state’s nature centers. It’s home to St. Mark’s National Wildlife Refuge. This storm will devastate not only the people who live there, but the wildlife.

It’s ironic that as much as we’ve preserved the area’s natural beauty, nature may now destroy that area.
You would be amazed at how quickly and efficiently nature recovers, blooms and fluorishes after an event like a hurricane. I think the flora and fauna do much better than people in this regard.

The area may look decimated right after the hurricane, but go back in 6 months, a year, and you'd see all kinds of new life well on its way.

Old 08-29-2023, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
How will the power companies perform during this event? Can they keep the power on throughout?

Power outages are one by-product of this event that I'd be planning for now...especially in older parts of Tampa & St. Pete.
I don't think they can prevent the outages as lines and poles break i. those high winds, equipment may be flooded, etc. I understand the power companies may shut off the power before a high wind event to prevent fires from starting due to live wires falling into dry brush, grass.

But they have promised they have power company people in place, from other parts of the state and out of state, to get the power back up ASAP. I thought it was interesting that Guv. DeSantis mentioned that help during a press briefing yesterday, asking that the small municipal power companies ( ex. TECO) be willing to accept that help from the outset. I'm guessing this has been an issue in the past.

Don't know if power will go down here, but I'm filling the bathtub with water for toilet flushing in case it does. We have well water, so no power, no water.

Old 08-29-2023, 08:56 AM

5,977 posts, read 3,715,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
My heart is breaking for you all on the West Coast. Mandatory evacs already?
Wow, this could be a very bad one.
How are you doing?
Considering all the weather related disasters that have happened all around the country in the past year (disastrous widespread flooding, raging wildfire infernos, lethal heat waves, mudslides, and snow/ice/wind storms) and all the fatalities and property damage associated with them, a day or two of hard rain and high winds won't be so bad for 99.5% of the people in the affected areas of Florida.

As for the remaining 0.5% who will be affected..., well, they should have thought about the risk/danger of buying a place right on the ocean before they bought it. Hopefully they will retreat inland and be safe even though their dwelling may not fare so well. That's a risk you take when you buy in paradise if you don't choose wisely.

Old 08-29-2023, 09:07 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,281,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
It's a nothing burger for me.
Would you like fries with that? Lol
Another swing and a miss but thanks for playing.

Old 08-29-2023, 09:19 AM

18,432 posts, read 8,264,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

well you've got to figure.....those huge trees have had 100 years to grow...and nothing to thin them out

Old 08-29-2023, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Considering all the weather related disasters that have happened all around the country in the past year (disastrous widespread flooding, raging wildfire infernos, lethal heat waves, mudslides, and snow/ice/wind storms) and all the fatalities and property damage associated with them, a day or two of hard rain and high winds won't be so bad for 99.5% of the people in the affected areas of Florida.

As for the remaining 0.5% who will be affected..., well, they should have thought about the risk/danger of buying a place right on the ocean before they bought it. Hopefully they will retreat inland and be safe even though their dwelling may not fare so well. That's a risk you take when you buy in paradise if you don't choose wisely.

By that reasoning, perhaps the souls who bought property in those areas of wildfires, widespread flooding,

lethal heatwaves, mudslides, snow/ice/windstorms should have considered those risks and dangers before they decided to buy and live there?

Point is, disasters are a part of life, part, as I see it, of being in the path of natural events, good and bad that take place on this violent earth. You do everything you can to prepare as you can, get out of the way as you must and do your best to mitigate the effects of these disasters on your life and livelihood. I don't think it's possible to find a location on this planet that is entirely free of at least potential disasters, and IMO, it's disingenuous at best to bash others for their life choices. Especially when those choices also involve taking the responsibility and living with ( or mitigating the damages) the consequences of those choices.

Old 08-29-2023, 10:50 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Ya know all I have is from the diff Weather Channels -one said nothing this big to hit that area since 1950.
So, I thought it would be like Ian, big devastation. Most of you are playing it down...OK.
I will, too. I have no more concern. Wishing western FL the best.

Old 08-29-2023, 11:06 AM

17,150 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Ya know all I have is from the diff Weather Channels -one said nothing this big to hit that area since 1950.
So, I thought it would be like Ian, big devastation. Most of you are playing it down...OK.
I will, too. I have no more concern. Wishing western FL the best.
I guess they forgot about Michael, a mere 5 years ago... Or Irma, 6 years ago...

Anyway, thank you for the well wishes!

Old 08-29-2023, 11:12 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I guess they forgot about Michael, a mere 5 years ago... Or Irma, 6 years ago...
Anyway, thank you for the well wishes!
Well, ya know, anything to make it more dramatic..
1950, Oooo,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida