Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 03:09 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,855,495 times

Advertisements

https://www.businessobserverfl.com/n...-city-florida/

The study takes into account cost of living data provided by Numbeo, a database, that includes factors like egg and bread costs, gym memberships, taxi costs and internet bills. The factors were weighed against the average annual income, then the cities were ranked by score out of 100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2023, 04:03 PM

18,460 posts, read 8,287,342 times
since your link didn't mention Miami at all.....had to internet it to find out where Miami falls on the list....#4

so I guess that makes Miami a better deal than Tampa.....Gainesville and Orlando

”The list includes 29 cities. Naples did not show up in this survey. However, we know other reports rank the city as one of the highest rental markets in the state.”

here's how they ranked..

1 Tampa
2 Gainesville
3 Orlando
4 Miami
5 Sarasota

https://b1039.com/listicle/floridas-...ities-to-live/

Old 08-23-2023, 04:26 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
since your link didn't mention Miami at all.....had to internet it to find out where Miami falls on the list....#4

so I guess that makes Miami a better deal than Tampa.....Gainesville and Orlando
Not a chance.

Anyone can create a methodology to manipulate statistics to say anything. And looking at the data, I don’t find this to be accurate at all.

The biggest expense when it comes to cost of living is housing.

Median home price in Miami Dade County: $631,670
Median home price in Hillsborough County: $450,000

Average apartment rental in Miami Dade: $2,396
Average apartment rental in Tampa: $1,898

Huge differences.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 08-23-2023 at 04:35 PM..

Old 08-23-2023, 04:50 PM

2,346 posts, read 2,296,547 times
I saw this a few days ago and wasn’t sure what to make of it. Tampa and Gainesville obviously aren’t the most expensive cities, but relatively to income it’s possible. It’s not a useful list to someone moving here for a remote job, but maybe useful if you’re say an RN who’s considering a move and they’ll actually be working in their city of choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Not a chance.

Anyone can create a methodology to manipulate statistics to say anything. And looking at the data, I don’t find this to be accurate at all.

Huge differences.
I see they’re using average annual income too instead of median, which could be a problem if the data is skewed too much.

Old 08-23-2023, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Not a chance.

Huge differences.
Yes but salaries in Miami are higher. I think that’s the whole point of the article. Incomes in tampa Gainesville etc are too low relative to cost of living.

Old 08-23-2023, 05:01 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Yes but salaries in Miami are higher. I think that’s the whole point of the article. Incomes in tampa Gainesville etc are too low relative to cost of living.
Actually, Hillsborough has a slightly higher HHI than Miami Dade (probably because Hillsborough lacks cities like Opa Locka and Miami Gardens with horrifically low incomes).

Miami’s 1% are some of the wealthiest on the planet. But their bottom 1% is also one of the poorest.

Old 08-23-2023, 05:05 PM

85 posts, read 70,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
https://www.businessobserverfl.com/n...-city-florida/

The study takes into account cost of living data provided by Numbeo, a database, that includes factors like egg and bread costs, gym memberships, taxi costs and internet bills. The factors were weighed against the average annual income, then the cities were ranked by score out of 100.
For someone who claims to be a landlord, you do a pretty bad job of selling Tampa.

Old 08-23-2023, 05:05 PM

18,460 posts, read 8,287,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I see they’re using average annual income too instead of median, which could be a problem if the data is skewed too much.
"Those costs were weighed against per capita income to form the index, study authors said in a news release."

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/econom...most-expensive

here's the actual list of cities and how they ranked > https://www.tampafp.com/study-reveal...ities-florida/

Old 08-24-2023, 07:48 AM

3,247 posts, read 3,200,315 times
I’m in Gainesville. As for me and my husband, the cost of living is much lower, compared to South Florida. We saved a lot in property taxes due to the Save Our Homes portability. However, for those who move in from out of state, or are first-time homeowners, the mileage rate rivals South Florida. The electric also is a bit higher than FPL due to the city’s mismanagement of Gainesville Regional Utilities.

But homeowners and car insurance is lower. Also, since the city is smaller, I spend far less in gas and put fewer miles on my car. And since we’re older, we value the top-notch care from the UF healthcare system. The vets are fantastic too.

But the area is definitely a picture of the haves and the have nots. About 20% live in poverty (about double the state average). And wages are somewhat depressed due to the supply of college students available for side work. It’s not uncommon for employers to hire 2 or 3 kids to cover a full time job, so the wages are split in half or thirds, and the kids are eligible for fewer or no benefits.

And the university in particular is a magnet for crime. The city’s police department reported crime was up 20% so far this year, mostly due to burglary and larceny. Still, I enjoy it up here. My development is nice, neighbors are too. Slower pace than South Florida.

Old 08-24-2023, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
I’m in Gainesville. As for me and my husband, the cost of living is much lower, compared to South Florida. We saved a lot in property taxes due to the Save Our Homes portability. However, for those who move in from out of state, or are first-time homeowners, the mileage rate rivals South Florida. The electric also is a bit higher than FPL due to the city’s mismanagement of Gainesville Regional Utilities.

But homeowners and car insurance is lower. Also, since the city is smaller, I spend far less in gas and put fewer miles on my car. And since we’re older, we value the top-notch care from the UF healthcare system. The vets are fantastic too.

But the area is definitely a picture of the haves and the have nots. About 20% live in poverty (about double the state average). And wages are somewhat depressed due to the supply of college students available for side work. It’s not uncommon for employers to hire 2 or 3 kids to cover a full time job, so the wages are split in half or thirds, and the kids are eligible for fewer or no benefits.

And the university in particular is a magnet for crime. The city’s police department reported crime was up 20% so far this year, mostly due to burglary and larceny. Still, I enjoy it up here. My development is nice, neighbors are too. Slower pace than South Florida.

Very interesting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida